House Price Crash Forum
chiefofwales

Nice, Cheap Houses Near Railway In South Wales..

Hello!

Myself and my partner have heeded the good advice from HPC and put off buying for a while, at least until the summer / autumn.

I'm looking for some help from people living / have lived in South Wales..

We both work in Cardiff (pretty central) and though I have lived here all my life I think that the areas we want to live in are just way overpriced.

I've started to look a bit outside, specifically Pontyclun, Pontypridd and Pecoed given the easy access to the train and good value house prices. We're looking for 3 bed with the view to set up a family in a year or two. I don't want a massive mortgage hanging round our necks and these places may offer that opportunity..

Anyone with any thoughts on these areas? Any help hugely appreciated

First choice from the three you mentioned would be Pontyclun/Llantrisant/Talbot Green based on value and as a place to live don`t know a great deal about Pontypridd other than it looks a lot nicer now than when i was a kid but the same could be said for all of the valleys (they are green now not black) Pencode i would say is an acquired taste but there are some tidy parts

Parts of Newport are relatively cheap same could be said for Barry but there's still a bit of downside potential for most of S/E Wales if things go t its up Penarth will be hammered ..its looking like it`s in more of a bubble than London

Edited by long time lurking

Parts of Newport are relatively cheap same could be said for Barry but there's still a bit of downside potential for most of S/E Wales if things go t its up Penarth will be hammered ..its looking like it`s in more of a bubble than London

Relative to what? :D

Joking aside, as someone living in Newport and looking to buy in Newport or Cardiff one day, 12 months ago some part of Newport are selling at 2004 prices yet in the last 12 months Newport seems to have gone through it's own boom, people must think it's London or something as price have gone mad.

Relative to what? :D

Joking aside, as someone living in Newport and looking to buy in Newport or Cardiff one day, 12 months ago some part of Newport are selling at 2004 prices yet in the last 12 months Newport seems to have gone through it's own boom, people must think it's London or something as price have gone mad.

Take a look at Penarth if you want to see insanity.i think a lot of the EA`s have been getting high on their own supply and forgot this is S/E Wales not England ...reality could be just around the corner

yet in the last 12 months Newport seems to have gone through it's own boom

Are you talking sold prices or asking ? seen some crazy asking prices but very very little selling at that price

Edited by long time lurking

Take a look at Penarth if you want to see insanity.i think a lot of the EA`s have been getting high on their own supply and forgot this is S/E Wales not England ...reality could be just around the corner

Are you talking sold prices or asking ? seen some crazy asking prices but very very little selling at that price

In some parts of Cardiff I think the EAs and the sellers must be on Crystal Meth (St. Mellons springs to mind).

£195,000 for a 3-bed semi in St. Mellons http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56548106.html

£179,950 for a 3-bed detached in St. Mellons http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-35800992.html

Rightmove Market Info says a lot, the first property sold in 2010 for £154,000, the second for £159,000 in 2006. This suggests either insane greed, or desperation to get into a better area.

In some parts of Cardiff I think the EAs and the sellers must be on Crystal Meth (St. Mellons springs to mind).

£195,000 for a 3-bed semi in St. Mellons http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56548106.html

£179,950 for a 3-bed detached in St. Mellons http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-35800992.html

Rightmove Market Info says a lot, the first property sold in 2010 for £154,000, the second for £159,000 in 2006. This suggests either insane greed, or desperation to get into a better area.

Not good,and yes speculative and greedy but still nut much more than inflation adjusted or real price still to much though as 2006 was peak price for Cardiff first time around