House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R K

Istanbul Tourist Area Suicide Bombing - 10 Killed

For the last few years I have not only thought i would never visit the Middle East again, and the tourist toll justifies that, but that the Orient Express is a train to hell. Turkey off limits too.

No link?

I posted yesterday about the late scale attack on a Baghdad shopping mall 12 dead 50 injured

Suicide bombers etc

Now this today, events in Cologne and other european cities,

it seems as if it's breaking out all over the place where is this headed?

For the last few years I have not only thought i would never visit the Middle East again, and the tourist toll justifies that, but that the Orient Express is a train to hell. Turkey off limits too.

Orient Express doesnt go all the way at present due to the terminus being rebuilt.

But Im afraid I agree. Turkey increasingly becoming drawn into this.

Probably why it mostly ferries back and forth London to Venice, with the odd trip to Prague. They only do one trip a year to Istanbul now.

Broadcast ban

The Turkish government has imposed a broadcast ban on news about the explosion, which appears to be widely flouted

from guardian link

Somebody on here was going on a cruise and was wondering if they should get off the ship at istanbul, can't remember who it was now.

(not saying they were going to be there today but there was people saying istanbul is a lovely city etc)

Went to Turkey 2 years ago, the all inclusive resorts there tend to be much more modern with more facilities than Spain, France and Italy. Was looking last night for a summer holiday this year and afraid to say I won't go to Turkey now, not worth the risk.

Egypt and Turkey really need to crackdown on this nonsense if they want to save their economies.

Turkey seems another country which could descend into Islamic chaos, which is even more of a problem as it's a NATO member. As someone has said where is all this going to end, sadly I don't think its going to end well.

Visiting a predominantly Muslim country, I have to say I wouldn't feel at ease. You'd just be a tad worried about some misunderstanding a' la the Afghanistan Koran burning incident with the woman, in spite of the fact that she was a devout Muslim and local. Indeed tempers got really frayed when a rumour got circulated she was a US tourist and it descended into a stoning and burning exercise.

I persuaded the Missus to opt for an Easter break in Sydney instead of Bali (which is overdue another major terrorist attack).

That said we are going to Iran in June.

The "Missus" is Iranian isn't she?

Yes

Would make it a lot safer for me, someone with local knowledge. You are in a privileged postion to visit a country most Westerners wouldn't have the opportunity or at least courage to do.

Did the bomber shout "this is nothing to do with Islam" as he pulled the cord?

She will have magically stopped being one of Cameron & Corbyn's 'real Muslims' when she pulled the cord.

I'd still like to see the Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque in real life.

Go for it. Stunning buildings.

And show your disdain for the fear terrorists attempt to spread. The risk to anyone is small.

I did that 36 years ago. Beautiful. The Christian church that became the model for mosques everywhere.

By the way, there were armed guards on the streets guarding key sites (such as banks) then.

When I went, for some reason my old man bought me the book Midnight Express when he heard I was going there.

EDIT: I still suspect that the Muslim faith emanated from the green faction in Byzantium (of the blues and greens). Certainly a strong degree of influence anyway. Even to the extent that Mohammed dressed in green and it became the colour of the flags of many muslim countries. Indeed even the star and crescent is a byzantine symbol.

Er... I was there 36 years ago too! Around the end of November 1979, when the Romanian oil tanker Independenta exploded nearby. I thought it was a nuke at first.

Looks like todays bomb was opposite the Pudding Shop.