House Price Crash Forum

Id Cards: Mps Push Again For Introduction Of Contoversial Initiative

HOLA441

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/633618/mps-id-cards-introduction

The 2003 Labour government was the one that first proposed the measure, but the project was scrapped by the coalition in 2010.

Now in the midst of an increasing terror threat in Europe senior figures in Parliament think is time to reconsider.

Sir Nicholas Soames, the Tory MP for Mid Sussex, asked the Immigration Minister James Brokenshire: "Would you reconsider the whole question of ID cards?

"Not only in respect of immigration and the introduction of many digital services to all our individuals and citizens but particularly in regard to the national security and the protection of all our citizens from terrorism.

"Would you agree that this really is now a matter of national security?"

The Conservatives are not budging, however, saying scrapping the ID cards project was "the right thing to do."

Mr Brokenshire, speaking during Home Office questions said: "You will be aware that one of the first steps that the coalition government took was to respond to the last Labour government's proposals in relation to that which we continue to judge was absolutely the right thing to do.

Are they hoping to push this through now in an attempt to protect us from terror? It's not like suicide attackers don't help the authorities by carrying their passports on attacks, why would ID cards help?

I mean lets face it, terrorist suspects even with passport control can flee this country with ease and not get stopped.

Mounting questions for police and Home Office after terror suspect ...

Man flees Britain in back of lorry after the removal of his passport ...

HOLA442
HOLA443

They don't want ID cards now as it would reveal the true scale of illegal immigration to the UK.

And also reveal the true EU immigration figures to the UK

And lastly the photocard driving licence is pretty close to an ID card nowadays except those who want to stay under the radar can just avoid getting a driving licence.

HOLA444

Predicted here a couple of weeks ago as a panacea for the immigration/ISIS problems. I bet the terrorists are terrified at the very thought of 70 million ID card-carrying Brits - NOT. ? Any excuse to keep the population under governmental heels.

HOLA445
HOLA446

I really don't see how it would help national security and the fight against terrorism.

As has already been said the sieve-like border control is the problem.

I don't particularly object but neither do I see much point in it.

It would also be expensive. :unsure:

HOLA447

I really don't see how it would help national security and the fight against terrorism.

As has already been said the sieve-like border control is the problem.

I don't particularly object but neither do I see much point in it.

The last time this was mooted, the putative cost was around £100. Payable by each individual. I have a LEGAL passport and photo driving licence. I do NOT want to spend another £100 on yet another form of photo ID - compulsorily.

HOLA448

The last time this was mooted, the putative cost was around £100. Payable by each individual. I have a LEGAL passport and photo driving licence. I do NOT want to spend another £100 on yet another form of photo ID - compulsorily.

Likewise. I would rather have the driving licence appear in my passpurt somehow, and dispense with some paperwork rahter than have more of it to lose. The driving licence is quite acceptable as ID when I collect a parcel.

HOLA449

In that case I do object most strongly; I wasn't aware of that.

And it will be yet another means-tested benefit so your violent junkie criminal or asylum seeker gets them free whilst your law-abiding working citizen has to pay yet again.

HOLA4410

Likewise. I would rather have the driving licence appear in my passpurt somehow, and dispense with some paperwork rahter than have more of it to lose. The driving licence is quite acceptable as ID when I collect a parcel.

Horror stories about asylum seekers stealing people's Amazon deliveries will be used to wear down dissenters like you.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Horror stories about asylum seekers stealing people's Amazon deliveries will be used to wear down dissenters like you.

I can't imagine current assylum seekers would have any interest in my parcels! :blink:

HOLA4414

I wondered if this would be another way to extract cash from the taxpayer. It's just another revenue generating exercise.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Blimey with all the general bureaucracy, number registering, money laundering rules, NI numbering, passports, driving licences, CCTV, vehicle registration cameras and so on etc etc etc and they still want ID cards.

This won't stop unless the common people rise up en masse and refuse to collaborate with their own imprisonment.

Reality has already surpassed Orwell's imagination.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Blimey with all the general bureaucracy, number registering, money laundering rules, NI numbering, passports, driving licences, CCTV, vehicle registration cameras and so on etc etc etc and they still want ID cards.

Border controls would be a start.

We should organise a mass civil disobedience refusal to purchase the cards until the Border Agency has fit-for-purpose border checks in place.

HOLA4421

This won't stop unless the common people rise up en masse and refuse to collaborate with their own imprisonment.

Reality has already surpassed Orwell's imagination.

Tell me about it. However far too many people seem to embrace rather than resist it, or at best just passively accept.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

To the person who mentioned the photo card driving licence:

(1) You aren't required to carry your licence. I never do; and

(2) Many still have the 'old' paper version and will never change it.

At some point all the paper licences will have expired though and you cannot renew them, you need to apply for a photo one. I think my old one was something like 2042.

If you change address you need to apply for a photo one. It's against the law if you don't tell them your current address. <===== I think this is the main one that catches people. Even if you leave it at your parent's house they'll be dead before the paper one expires.

If you change your name, such as women who get married, you need to apply for a photo one too I think.

HOLA4424

At some point all the paper licences will have expired though and you cannot renew them, you need to apply for a photo one. I think my old one was something like 2042.

If you change address you need to apply for a photo one. It's against the law if you don't tell them your current address. <===== I think this is the main one that catches people. Even if you leave it at your parent's house they'll be dead before the paper one expires.

It used to just be an address you could be contacted at, it didn't specify that that had to be your main address. My paper licence said my main address, but I saw someone else's older one that did not.

Wasn't there some stupid plan to force all remaining paper licences to photocard ones in the near future?

HOLA4425

I think legally now it has to be your current address, i.e. where you live, not just where you can be contacted at, or you commit an offence and face a £1000 fine. (So they can come and nick you if you mow someone down)

You are probably committing the offence still no matter what the paper licence has written on it.

My grandfather never even had to take a test, they just sent you the licence once! I think they still do this in Iran.

Archived