House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JBFTB

Weekend Observations And A Question

Went to Cribbs in Bristol yesterday, it was deserted...where are all the Christmas shoppers? According to my other half, this time last year they got stuck for an hour just trying to get out of the place. Today, went to Asda, absolutely packed. In fact it seems to me that the cheapo places are doing a roaring trade while the more "traditionally-priced" (i.e. ripoff) places are empty.

The other thing that made me stop and think was my mother - today she rings and says that despite all the price cuts and whatnot going on, she reckons it would be better to wait for the January sales for the best bargains. Now she doesn't generally follow the economy much, but I wonder if this is the kind of thing that Joe Public is thinking - and so therefore no matter how much they slash prices out there, they are perhaps expected to slash even more in the new year? It was something I hadn't even considered. Wonder what kind of effect that will have...

Sky News did an item yesterday morning from Oxford Street, London, about the supposedly packed shops but... it was obvious that Oxford Street was pretty quiet indeed.

we went booze-cruising in Calais yesterday and it seems that they're doing ok over there. I guess they haven't had such a debt-funded boom of late though. Not too many Anglos to be found in the booze warehouses directed at them. Mind you, it was the first time I've ever done this so I have nothing to compare it against. Still, on the last Saturday before Christmas I would have expected more people around than I saw. Certainly, the English I did see stocking up were concentrating on getting vast quantities of cheap plonk & booze rather than the nice stuff, be it food or whatever.

Similarly, we were in Oxford last weekend and there was the usual pre-Christmas throng around. However, in most shops, after we fought our way through the herds of browsers at front of shop, there was a consistent tumbleweed round the bored looking staff at the till area.

I have a reconnaisance party (g/f and her sister) out in the West End as we speak and hope to report more when they get back! I'm hoping for news of desolation as I still have to do some of my shopping and would prefer a relaxed stroll around places desperate for a piece of my debit card. :)

I was at the dentist last week and while I was waiting to be looked at the receptionist (the sexy one was there, so it wasn't a total waste :)) was talking to her friend who works in one of the local stores: she said it was the worst Christmas in years.

Still, the dentist is booked solid for months, so at least someone is doing OK at the moment.

Edited by MarkG

Went to Cribbs in Bristol yesterday, it was deserted..

Noticed that a couple of weeks ago as well, the Mall is only full of clothes and DVD shops anyway , b****R all else in there.

D

we went booze-cruising in Calais yesterday and it seems that they're doing ok over there. I guess they haven't had such a debt-funded boom of late though. Not too many Anglos to be found in the booze warehouses directed at them. Mind you, it was the first time I've ever done this so I have nothing to compare it against. Still, on the last Saturday before Christmas I would have expected more people around than I saw. Certainly, the English I did see stocking up were concentrating on getting vast quantities of cheap plonk & booze rather than the nice stuff, be it food or whatever.

I went to Cite Europe in Calais yesterday aswell! I thought I saw you looking in the window of a local EA showing tradional large 3 bed homes but about 1/2 the price they are offered for in SE England... I did wave! But you looked a bit shocked... :lol::lol::lol:

The mall was heaving - but mainly full of French people (hooray!)... The English were there but in *FAR* smaller numbers than this time last year where people were cramming all the wine and beer into their trollies as they could. Not yesterday though..

There is only so much people can put on their credit cards, and only so much they can MEW before they can't pay the mortgage off. Is the great "free money" paradigm finally been exposed as a big con?

I went to Cite Europe in Calais yesterday aswell! I thought I saw you looking in the window of a local EA showing tradional large 3 bed homes but about 1/2 the price they are offered for in SE England... I did wave! But you looked a bit shocked... :lol::lol::lol:

The mall was heaving - but mainly full of French people (hooray!)... The English were there but in *FAR* smaller numbers than this time last year where people were cramming all the wine and beer into their trollies as they could. Not yesterday though..

actually, had I chanced across an EA I may well have had a shufty for comparitive purposes. Not really on my agenda though!

I had a thoroughly enjoyable time, interesting to see that their megamalls are broadly similar to ours. Don't know if it was the exoticism of being abroad (for the first time this year :o ) but it felt somewhat more relaxed and more fragrant than the UK equivalent.

Everything I hear is true! Their food and drink is better and cheaper. And petrol. <_<

BBC News 24 had an item this morning about credit card debt and how to try and get around it. One statistic was that 1 in 10 people are still paying off last year's Christmas via credit.

I was reading the Independent on the ferry (having spurned the Grauniad for some of their bearish stuff lately) and was shocked to read a substantial piece given over to "how to borrow last-minute money to get you through Christmas). A few too many free lunches with the banks' PR people for the journos I think!

Our Society is being spoon fed easy credit. It is nuts.

aye but it seems like they're having to hold our noses now in order to force the spoon into our mouths!

ah looking forward to a nice quiet Christmas. :)

I think there are plenty out there still living on the never never and they do not care or have no idea of the problems ahead. This British snob mentality of keeping up with the Jones is just shocking. You are made to feel almost like a leper for no indulging.

I think there are plenty out there still living on the never never and they do not care or have no idea of the problems ahead. This British snob mentality of keeping up with the Jones is just shocking. You are made to feel almost like a leper for no indulging.

I try not to engage with people like that. But I can see the pressure coming through the television and the rest of the media.

You have to question agendas... I do not need extravagance to enjoy Christmas. Although it occasionally helps! :)

I cannot believe how many people are living on a month to month basis. I have one friend (just the one :lol: ) who would be totally screwed if he lost his job. He just moved "up the ladder" and now has mortgage debt of around 200K. In his late 20's and earning about 28K. And yes, it was lie to buy. I did offer my opinion and asked him to work out how much his mortgage would be if interest rates were at 6% just to try and make him realise how big his debt would be. He worked it out but refused to believe that interest rates would ever get that high again. I feel sorry for the guy.

I agree that so much of this is our "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality. Now it's got to the point of, "Oh you only have £20K in credit card debt, well we have £45K, 3 CCJ's and are going to court again next week!" It's like this perverse pride in being in debt up to your eyeballs.

This is going to get very very messy. People will be looking for someone to blame - which is another Anglo Saxon trait I really don't like. :angry:

I went for a wander down Oxford St yesterday evening and it was not as packed as I remember it being in previous years. In past years it's been almost impossible to walk down the pavement, but last night it was relatively easy, no worse than a normal Saturday. And I didn't have any big queues at the tills either.

Another interesting one will be the annual boxing day trip to the Bull Ring in Birmingham (can't stand the place but the Mrs insists). Could be a real indicator.

Not long got back from Bath - some people about but not what you would expect on the last proper weekend b4 Crimbo - was at Brislington yesterday - same story.

Brislington very quiet today too!

Sky News did an item yesterday morning from Oxford Street, London, about the supposedly packed shops but... it was obvious that Oxford Street was pretty quiet indeed.

I was in Oxford Street today. It was fairly quiet in the morning but very busy in the afternoon.

I was in Oxford Street today. It was fairly quiet in the morning but very busy in the afternoon.

It may be quite but all the xbox 360,s aresold out

I went Christmas shopping in Oxford Street the Saturday afternoon before Christmas a few years ago (not by choice.. I was meeting someone, so two birds... one stone etc)... and the street was empty, very empty... so empty I was shocked.

I guess (the possible) moral is, people avoid Oxford Street, esp on a Saturday because they think it's going to be hell... and in the end few people shop there by choice.

Kingston seemed quite busy yesterday. Just did a tactical strike of John Lewis and a couple of smaller shops. John Lewis was busy but not as busy as past Christmas's, the smaller shops were emptyish, but there where more people around compared to an average Saturday.

Does the Bull Ring still exist?

Yep. It got pulled down and replaced by a huge glittering silver-plated thingy. In fact the entire city centre seems to have been redeveloped around it, it was quite confusing going back years after I went to uni there.

No-one seems to have answered my question about peoples' expectations about further reductions in January sales - does anyone think this will happen? Does anyone think that the public are expecting it?