House Price Crash Forum
Fairyland

Councils Responding To Britain's Housing Crisis By Telling Tenants To Stay Put In Buy-To-Let Properties When Landlords Ask Them To Leave

Mods, my initial post did not come out properly, I can't change the title or add quotes. Please change. Title should read:

Councils responding to Britain's housing crisis by telling tenants to stay put in buy-to-let properties when landlords ask them to leave

Edited by Fairyland

Buy To(i)Leters have been conned into taking on social housing for the masses.

Imagine 40 years form now when all the mortgages are paid off ( for some ) how low the government can force the rents.

Cool-Britannia-Set-Of-4-Can-Shaped-Mugs.

They have always said this.
A way to be "homeless" in the eyes of the council is to be being evicted by your current landlord. Just giving in and leaving makes you intentionally homeless. This is not news.

Most people don't want to risk the council not coming through with a property and having their stuff tipped out on to the street by a bailiff.

In an ideal world the council would just house people, but there's so little housing and so much pressure on it.

Tenants are being advised to exercise their legal rights, what a nightmare for our housing service providers.

Not saying the process is without (considerable) flaws, but it's a pisstake to criticise a council for advising this.

Especially since the root cause of this article is a Mumsnet thread, basically the issue is S21 'no fault' eviction:

A user posting under the pseudonym Aimlessly said: "Our family has just returned from living abroad and are planning on moving back into our property that we have been letting out.

"We just got a call this morning from the letting agents saying that our tenants have advised them that they can not find another property in their price range and the council is telling them to stay put. What?

"It is not like we are property investors and are just trying to get higher rent. We do not have any other accommodation. My children need to have a roof overhead and be placed in school. How can the council do this? What action can we take and how long should we expect to be displaced? Totally shocked!"

The council have done nothing other than what is prudent. Just think how shocked you'd be if you were told to vacate your family home for no reason whatsoever.

Edited by The Knimbies who say No

Seems to me that if I were depending on rental income to survive that I would have been aware of all the possible exit, eviction strategy's that could affect that income stream. This is just another potential obstacle that many landlords didn't research or understand before investing. Bit much to expect that tenants should be denied their right to legal procedure to suit landlords though.

This BTL business is not all that it is cracked up to be.....with housing becoming evermore elusive it can only become evermore compounded. ;)

Edited by winkie

What will happen if no of people in arrears increase, more processing time for evictions, busy bailiffs ... Current 4 months eviction time increases to 6 months, 8 months and so on. BTL all will have a big void.

Love the "how dare they stay put" tone of the article

No one forced them at gunpoint to become landlords

But basically in England anyway, ignore the S21, wait for repossession proceedings

Edited by RentierParadisio

Funny how they all claim to be "providing homes for the vulnerable" or similar but when it suits they want them kicked out and to hell with any consequences. Guys, you signed up to house these people, now do so!

They have always said this.

A way to be "homeless" in the eyes of the council is to be being evicted by your current landlord. Just giving in and leaving makes you intentionally homeless. This is not news.

Most people don't want to risk the council not coming through with a property and having their stuff tipped out on to the street by a bailiff.

In an ideal world the council would just house people, but there's so little housing and so much pressure on it.

In the good old days, it would be an easy way to get a council propery - declare yourself homeless and the council gives you a nice little flat.

In the good old days, it would be an easy way to get a council propery - declare yourself homeless and the council gives you a nice little flat.

They have probably 3/4million spare bedrooms in social housing but people want a place to themselves.

They have probably 3/4million spare bedrooms in social housing but people want a place to themselves.

and probably even more in many 'homeowner' properties claiming SRI.

Here's the Mumsnet thread, it was started way back in October even though the article in the Tele was dated yesterday. Guess a DT hack was fishing for easy copy.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/2495164-Council-advising-tenants-to-stay-put?pg=2

Just an idle thought...

Is a part of this the way the press have a habit of settling on a narrative, and then weaving stories around that narrative. For many years that narrative was ridiculously rose-tinted with respect to buy-to-let, but the worm is turning and now you get a sustained narrative about the risks of buy-to-let.

My key example on this is dogs attacking people. Presumably dogs don't read papers and hence the frequency of dogs attacking people is largely independent of the focus of reporting. Then, by chance alone, you get a particularly awful incident which is widely reported, then after that more minor (but still grim) incidents that would have been ignored on the basis of being insufficiently newsworthy are, for a while, reported as part of a fashion for DANGEROUS DOGS BAD stories.

Hence as BTL BAD is becoming more of a mainstream narrative certain 'stories' are produced which cannot in any reasonable sense be construed as news, except for the fact that they've been previously under-reported or simply unreported.

Just an idle thought...

Is a part of this the way the press have a habit of settling on a narrative, and then weaving stories around that narrative. For many years that narrative was ridiculously rose-tinted with respect to buy-to-let, but the worm is turning and now you get a sustained narrative about the risks of buy-to-let.

My key example on this is dogs attacking people. Presumably dogs don't read papers and hence the frequency of dogs attacking people is largely independent of the focus of reporting. Then, by chance alone, you get a particularly awful incident which is widely reported, then after that more minor (but still grim) incidents that would have been ignored on the basis of being insufficiently newsworthy are, for a while, reported as part of a fashion for DANGEROUS DOGS BAD stories.

Hence as BTL BAD is becoming more of a mainstream narrative certain 'stories' are produced which cannot in any reasonable sense be construed as news, except for the fact that they've been previously under-reported or simply unreported.

Or, as well, it could be that bad news sells.

In which case the mug BTL game is about to turn into a gold mine for the Fourth Estate.

The trouble is, after waiting 30 years, I may be able to pick up a property just at the time I decide I don't want to live in the UK anymore. Still, at least i won't have a property to sell.

Love the "how dare they stay put" tone of the article

No one forced them at gunpoint to become landlords

But basically in England anyway, ignore the S21, wait for repossession proceedings

How greedy and evil of them not leaving their house empty lol ! Are you kidding or is hpc generally losing the plot over renting ?

To be honest I think they've just thrown that example in for effect. The truth is the market is weighted way too much on the side of insecurity of tenure for tenants.

Just an idle thought...

Certainly seems that way. Hopefully there will be plenty of fresh BTL BAD news for the media to feast on over the next months, roll on that April SD hike!

I am very hacked off with renting and as soon this whole moronic circus starts to show signs of hitting the skids bigtime the happier I'll be.

Funny how they all claim to be "providing homes for the vulnerable" or similar but when it suits they want them kicked out and to hell with any consequences. Guys, you signed up to house these people, now do so!

Most All landlords will claim pure altruism :D