House Price Crash Forum
alex228

House Raided Between Exchange And Completion, White Goods Stolen

Hi, I have exchanged contracts and waiting for completion next week, popped round to take garbage bins out - as removal was this weekend and noticed someone removed white goods from the kitchen. All thus stuff was on fittings and fixtures list and a part of contract. What is the correct way now? I have purchased the home insurance as it is a condition of exchange, but why should I be paying the excesses etc especially that I haven't moved in yet? It could vbe either the vendor or one of previous tenants who had copy keys. I told the vendor and the agent to change the keys as soon as the house has been vacated but noooo. please advise

Hi, I have exchanged contracts and waiting for completion next week, popped round to take garbage bins out - as removal was this weekend and noticed someone removed white goods from the kitchen. All thus stuff was on fittings and fixtures list and a part of contract. What is the correct way now? I have purchased the home insurance as it is a condition of exchange, but why should I be paying the excesses etc especially that I haven't moved in yet? It could vbe either the vendor or one of previous tenants who had copy keys. I told the vendor and the agent to change the keys as soon as the house has been vacated but noooo. please advise

I would call the sellers lawyer tell them you are aware a theft has taken place and that it needs to be reported as whoever makes the insurance claim will need a crime reference number.

Chances are that the vendors are trying to pull a fast one but getting plod involved may give them second thoughts.

Contact the solicitor, they will know how to handle this legally. I suspect you will be able to negotiate the price or negotiate replacements - make sure they don't buy cheap s/h rubbish with no safety checks :)

I don't know at the momentwhether it was a theft or the guy just removed it from there himself in contravention of the list of fixtures therefore the contract which it is a part of. In such a case it would be a civil matter not a crime per se, wouldn't it?

Edited by alex228

I don't know at the momentwhether it was a theft or the guy just removed it from there himself in contravention of the list of fixtures therefore the contract which it is a part of. In such a case it would be a civil matter not a crime per se, wouldn't it?

Yes which is why you should ask the Solicitor first.

Contact Solicitor. Then the Police.

It's not strictly mine yet as the sale is not completed yet. So if it's stolen it wasn't from me really.

Could I buy stuff myself and take the vendor to small claims for contract breach?

It's not strictly mine yet as the sale is not completed yet. So if it's stolen it wasn't from me really.

Could I buy stuff myself and take the vendor to small claims for contract breach?

Talk. To. Your. Solicitor. He or she is a qualified legal professional and will be able to provide you with an authoritative and informed answer. Do not ask the internet, it's full of know-nothing blowhards who like to pretend to know a lot more than they actually do.

Sure I will. But they are closed on Sunday night so I asked you guys first. Someone could have been in a similar situation before

Edited by alex228