House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bendy

When Will Microsoft Admit They Have Lost The Browser War

Purely anecdotal but I still use my very very old hotmail account for a fair bit of stuff and would have to change settings on various other websites if I were to move from it (which I guess I'm going to have too, read on!)

Anyway, I don't use MS's IE as it is complete ***** has been for a long time. Browser of choice for the moment is Chrome but when using a hotmail (which is now Outlook) account on this it lags or has to reload so much it's blindly obvious that MS aren't testing in the most popular browsers but on their own pile of crap, IE (which I think is now about 1% market share, I guess mainly due to smartphones).

When will they stop flogging the dead horse that is IE, please tell!

I think they still believe they can lock corporate clients into their ecosystem by making some things only work properly with IE/Edge. They may be right for a few more years, which is possibly all they really care about, but they've certainly entirely lost the consumer market at this point. Even my parents (in their 80s) know not to use IE for anything!

I think they still believe they can lock corporate clients into their ecosystem by making some things only work properly with IE/Edge. They may be right for a few more years, which is possibly all they really care about, but they've certainly entirely lost the consumer market at this point. Even my parents (in their 80s) know not to use IE for anything!

Like Silverlight

I use browser based hotmail and you still have to refresh the page to get new messages in Edge.

Effectively I use MS's email in MS's browser on a computer made by MS unfortunately this seemingly optimal compatibility trifecta is, in fact, far from it.

Microsoft are just being consistent in that they will fight to the bitter end to keep you using their crap - no matter how much better the competition's product is.

And they've gotten away with it many times over the years...

Welcome_to_Netscape.gif

XYY

I use browser based hotmail and you still have to refresh the page to get new messages in Edge.

Effectively I use MS's email in MS's browser on a computer made by MS unfortunately this seemingly optimal compatibility trifecta is, in fact, far from it.

That is because the different parts of MS developing different products clearly dont talk to each other. The software is in some ways less integrated than they were years ago. Moreover, using MS OS and its associated applications is now like living in a Maoist state dedicated to perpetual revolution and endless Great Leaps Forward with the same inevitable unfortunate results. It's not that MS don't have any good applications or skilled developers just that they seem to not to be able to put it together anymore.

Actually, Firefox also seems to be determined to lose market share through bloat and flakiness, these days.

I'm certainly getting increasingly irritated with it. The main alternatives seem as bad or worse though, might have to take a look at one of the other browsers built off the same engine. I can't stand current user interface trends and although I can get around them it needs addons to do so.

Does the Edge browser work now? When I first got it, it was so very bad that I managed to remove all the icons and set everything back to IE11.

I do use Chrome now and again for testing and checking web development bits and pieces but couldn't live with it. The way it handles bookmarks is a farce. I did however manage - eventually - to stop it insisting that I sign into Google.

That is because the different parts of MS developing different products clearly dont talk to each other. The software is in some ways less integrated than they were years ago. Moreover, using MS OS and its associated applications is now like living in a Maoist state dedicated to perpetual revolution and endless Great Leaps Forward with the same inevitable unfortunate results. It's not that MS don't have any good applications or skilled developers just that they seem to not to be able to put it together anymore.

Seems that way.

From what Ive heard and what Ive experienced there seems to be favoured teams and progman.

There's a big market designing out Sharepoint (trulely dreadful) and Exchange (truely, insanely bloated).

All those MSCE have been trained to stuff corps full of MS tech. That sort of worked whilst while the SW sort of worked. A few years down the line, eyebrows were rasied when the actual vosts of these products started hitting as all the free trails/discounts ended, or when the next upgrade to a MS server OS appears to have an extra '0' tacked to the price.

Now more eyes are being raised as this expensive junk is not working - 'We're payining XXXXXX and it does not work FFS!!!!'

Future of any business frontend app is HTML - as much as I hate it HTML - but a bit of tweating wiht bootstrap and itll work.

I'm certainly getting increasingly irritated with it. The main alternatives seem as bad or worse though, might have to take a look at one of the other browsers built off the same engine. I can't stand current user interface trends and although I can get around them it needs addons to do so.

FF stopped working on the missus' pc when it did an recent auto update. I removed and reinstalled and still broken. So I went to palemoon which is based of the FF codebase but a lot of the plugins don't work so I moved to Chrome but the video plugin I installed (the most popular) wouldn't download YT videos because Chrome is Google is YT innit.

So this morning back to FF which works again after another update with adblock and ghostery and videodownloader.

FF stopped working on the missus' pc when it did an recent auto update. I removed and reinstalled and still broken. So I went to palemoon which is based of the FF codebase but a lot of the plugins don't work so I moved to Chrome but the video plugin I installed (the most popular) wouldn't download YT videos because Chrome is Google is YT innit.

So this morning back to FF which works again after another update with adblock and ghostery and videodownloader.

That's a bit depressing, I was hoping something like Palemoon would be the answer. I don't trust Google any more (or even less) than Microsoft, if there's one company that tries to get around "mind your own business" with "but that is our business" then it's Google. Plus it seems to have started some of the UI mess FF is copying. I've not got that many plugins though (Adblock is the one I'd really not want to be without) so I may be OK.

t is extremel depressing that launching a browser (other than edge) is now such a slow process, probably slower than a decade ago, meanwhile my user appreciation has not increased an iota, since they brought in tabs.

I may actually use edge more, as i suspect microsoft "pre launches" it during the boot or something, as it only takes a couple of seconds.

It wouldn't surprise me if ms are deliberately crippling other browsers using the hotmail/outlook site.

As I've said before, it is amazing how after at least a decade of fighting the competition authorities about all its bundled junk. ms seem to have decided that renaming their od is sufficient to entitle them to rebundle it all in un-uninstallable forms. It's a minor annoyance, but the context menu is always full of junk I will never use.

t is extremel depressing that launching a browser (other than edge) is now such a slow process, probably slower than a decade ago, meanwhile my user appreciation has not increased an iota, since they brought in tabs.

Report for re-education, new stuff is always appreciated and makes things better.

I may actually use edge more, as i suspect microsoft "pre launches" it during the boot or something, as it only takes a couple of seconds.

It wouldn't surprise me if ms are deliberately crippling other browsers using the hotmail/outlook site.

As I've said before, it is amazing how after at least a decade of fighting the competition authorities about all its bundled junk. ms seem to have decided that renaming their od is sufficient to entitle them to rebundle it all in un-uninstallable forms. It's a minor annoyance, but the context menu is always full of junk I will never use.

One or the many books in me is 'Learning to love HTTP + HTML'.

Each time I go thru the specs I find myself saying, Fck - what a bodge.