House Price Crash Forum

Conservatory Versus Extension

Byron

HOLA441

As above.

My daughter got a National firm around to discuss a possible large extension.

The salesman left her and her husband convinced that they need a conservatory.

My guess is that they have been switch sold because there is extortionate profit in conservatories.

Anyone had experience of this?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

It could be the case that their supplier of conservatory parts is running a sales incentive this month / quarter or whatever. The salesman could be swayed by the prize of a weekend in Barcelona or even just a sat nav.

HOLA446

As above.

My daughter got a National firm around to discuss a possible large extension.

The salesman left her and her husband convinced that they need a conservatory.

My guess is that they have been switch sold because there is extortionate profit in conservatories.

Anyone had experience of this?

Presumably a conservatory would be cheaper, and he thought they'd be more likely to go ahead?

Are there national firms that do standard extensions? I'd have thought that was more in the local builders' line.

I am very wary of big conservatory/window firms. Had one round not long ago to quote for windows that did need replacing, but only because he'd come to the door.

He gave exactly the same sort of ludicrous spiel we had more than 20 years ago - I.e., '£8 k normally, but just for today, if you sign now, I can make that £4K!'

Later had someone from the co. phone to ask why I hadn't ordered.

Answer, because I don't like having my intelligence insulted with these ridiculous 'just for today if you sign now!' 'half' prices.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Are there planning rules that make conservatories easier to get built? Also I'd guess that they come much more pre-assembled than having to build, so possibly more profit margin there (at least the usual tacked on ones you see).

Yes. Councils have permitted development rules which allow adding conservatories/porches without permission providing the structure meets the regulations regarding size, amount of glass and separation from main house (not on central heating system locked door from main house). On the other hand an extension needs planning permission.

There would be no contest for me. I would have a proper extension and not a conservatory.

I have an older conservatory on this house that was here before I bought it. I hate hearing the rain on the polycarbonate roof but at least, to date, it hasn't leaked anywhere.

HOLA4410

Yes. Councils have permitted development rules which allow adding conservatories/porches without permission providing the structure meets the regulations regarding size, amount of glass and separation from main house (not on central heating system locked door from main house). On the other hand an extension needs planning permission.

There would be no contest for me. I would have a proper extension and not a conservatory.

I have an older conservatory on this house that was here before I bought it. I hate hearing the rain on the polycarbonate roof but at least, to date, it hasn't leaked anywhere.

I can lend you a bucket! :unsure:

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Plenty of extension options under permitted development regs depending on where you live. Scotland can be different for example. So planning need not be an issue. Most councils have this info on their websites and there is even a useful government website. As a starting point

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/

However you will need building control via the local council or 3rd party building inspector to ensure building regulations are met and the thing isn't dangerous/likely to fall down anytime soon.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Archived