House Price Crash Forum

Borough Of Croydon - Supply In Purley

There are just 15 properties for sale for less than £400,000 in Purley, excluding a few retirement flats.

155 - studio

Offers over 180 - 1 bed

Offers over 230 - 2 bed maisonette

2 bed flats: 250, 259,950, 260, 270, 279,950, 280, 300, 350

2 bed terraced house: 280

3 bed maisonette: 300

2 bed (new build): 335

4 bed terraced house: 395

A year ago there were dozens of flats available, many around 200-250.

Is Purley a bit extreme, or supply this low in a lot of places (particularly the other cheap London boroughs)?

There are just 15 properties for sale for less than £400,000 in Purley, excluding a few retirement flats.

155 - studio

Offers over 180 - 1 bed

Offers over 230 - 2 bed maisonette

2 bed flats: 250, 259,950, 260, 270, 279,950, 280, 300, 350

2 bed terraced house: 280

3 bed maisonette: 300

2 bed (new build): 335

4 bed terraced house: 395

A year ago there were dozens of flats available, many around 200-250.

Is Purley a bit extreme, or supply this low in a lot of places (particularly the other cheap London boroughs)?

It's the posher end of Croydon. Still on the mainline into London Bridge/Victoria (change at East Croydon for a faster train). I guess it's just riding the coat-tails of the prime central London credit boom.

It's the posher end of Croydon. Still on the mainline into London Bridge/Victoria (change at East Croydon for a faster train). I guess it's just riding the coat-tails of the prime central London credit boom.

That's like saying it's the drier end of the turd.

I was mostly thinking about the supply - does it seem low, for a town of 14,000? (I actually thought the population was much higher, so perhaps it's in line with other areas)

Yeah, sorry. From what I remember it has an older demographic, so perhaps they're refusing to downsize.

Some things haven't changed it seems:

Croydon is a town, but it is also a borough. Croydon the town might not have any posh bits. I'd say the borough does though, in the south. The Webb Estate in Purley apparently had the highest earning residents in the UK. Admittedly this might just make it home to rich, tasteless, conspicuous consumers rather than posh.

But back on the supply issue, there is currently one studio and one 1 bed flat for sale in the entire town. Are all the BTL landlords in hibernation?

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of landlords are completely unaware of the tax changes that are due to eliminate them from the market. They've not been particularly well publicised. Wait until the penny drops. By the middle of this year I'd predict that you'll have your pick of ex-BTL flats, and you'll be able to name your price.

A lot of landlords are completely unaware of the tax changes that are due to eliminate them from the market. They've not been particularly well publicised. Wait until the penny drops. By the middle of this year I'd predict that you'll have your pick of ex-BTL flats, and you'll be able to name your price.

Might have to wait till tac returns are due in in 18 months but I hope you are right.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks for that, we've looked at Purley so it's depressing to see your research.  It's frustrating, prices seemed doable a few years back when we started saving but just seem to be slipping further out of reach.

My partner works up Purley Way and I commute into Victoria so it was a good location for us.

The places we look at now are getting further and further from the stations.  A 10min walk becomes a 10min bike ride to maybe I have to get a bus to the station.