House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Death In Paradise Is Back!

I didn't see any ads for this and just stumbled across it flicking through the guide. One of my all time favourite TV programmes is back for a new series, season 5.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06vr15s/death-in-paradise-series-5-episode-1

BBC1, Thursdays at 9pm.

Agatha-style whodunit mysteries set on the fictitious tropical island of Saint Marie (it's actually filmed in Guadeloupe IIRC)

Kris Marshall in the lead role, a fair bit of silliness, lush scenery and if you like trying to solve these, most of them are quite easy to solve. Actual location filming rather than a studio makes a huge difference.

This season's opener is ridiculously easily solved, the key is often to watch closely at the start. But it's all good fun anyway.

If you like it, do seek out the first seasons with Ben Miller as the lead, he's outstanding. Follow it through to the start of season 3 when he meets his end (as did the detective before him), and the reason for the choice of theme becomes clear and it's actually really touching when the theme song is played, with lyrics, in the programme. You really miss him.

From the start:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Episode-1/dp/B00IC6STO8/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1452209207&sr=8-8&keywords=death+in+paradise

Likeable, well defined characters, a funky soundtrack and a CGI lizard. Really great TV.

Edit: spelling

Warning: some spoilers

Often, as in the first in this series which was solvable from the very start as there was only one possible way in which the murder could have been committed and only one person has the opportunity - the key clue comes before the opening titles.

This one was sneaky. The order of people arriving for drinks implied to me that the intended victim was someone else (trying not to give away too many spoilers).

The murder plot device has been used before both in a Christie story IIRC and also in this show (the one with the airline hostesses).

Looks like I have some catching up to do.

I watched all the previous seasons, but haven't gotten round to watch the current episodes yet.

Looks like I have some catching up to do.

I watched all the previous seasons, but haven't gotten round to watch the current episodes yet.

I'm missing Sgts. Fidel and Bordey - it will take time for the new characters to establish themselves. Dwayne continues to be.. well, Dwayne, and the Commissioner is still hilarious.

Haven't bothered with this series, I got into Series 1 as I was recovering from a broken shoulder at the time. TBH I think I'm a bit tired of the Miss Marple sleuthing

Warning: some spoilers

Often, as in the first in this series which was solvable from the very start as there was only one possible way in which the murder could have been committed and only one person has the opportunity - the key clue comes before the opening titles.

This one was sneaky. The order of people arriving for drinks implied to me that the intended victim was someone else (trying not to give away too many spoilers).

The murder plot device has been used before both in a Christie story IIRC and also in this show (the one with the airline hostesses).

Reminded me of a Jonathan Creek 1st season murder.

Much easier tonight.

Because it was impossible. Therefore, it was easy to solve. Motive, means, opportunity.

Makes up for my dismal performance with last week's episode.

The key to this for me:

When the murder victim found out her room mate was doing drugs, she called the number and recognised the voice of the 'silent partner'. That was the key. I thought she might have recognised it when the cameraman spoke at some point in rehearsals. Add to that which parties were in London at the same time when the suspects were put on the board, and that she was writing an expose, and it all fits together.

That's one of the things I like about this series. It is solvable.

We worked through the entire box sets of Marple and Poirot - took months - and only solved maybe half a dozen.

Though I thought that "Ten Little Indians" or "And Then There Were None.." was supposed to be her most fiendishly plotted and complex one, and I solved that when it was on TV over Christmas. Really easy.

The medical guy was the only one with an obvious motive to kill them all; his cancer wasn't cured but fatal, and his death was the "odd one out" in terms of method, so he wasn't dead after all. Add to this his collaboration with the one that died and the "twist" wasn't much of a twist at the end.

Or you could just work on the misdirection of the plot. The xxx wasn't even on the board since it was 'impossible' for xxx to be in two places at once.

Very much so.

The cameraman doesn't need to be holding the camera for it to take photographs. Nice little twist towards the end by "ruling out" the killer and misdirecting the viewer though.