House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Spinaholic Desparation - Time To Counter-spin!

Real desparation evident in today's spin - even noticed a spinaholic or two posting on here this AM - blatant PR nonsense.

And now they're focusing on the 'interest rates are going down' message to reignite their housing market hopes.

"The link between property prices and wider economic activity is increasingly recognised by policymakers as a crucial factor for decisions on interest rates." and "Next year could see interest rates tumble, analysts have predicted."

:ph34r:

Time for a bit of counter spin HPCers? - if they're going to focus their PR efforts on telling the public that interest rates are going to tumble, a certain number of potential buyers are going to actually believe them -this 'message' need to be countered.

I suspect drastic cuts in interest rates are highly unlikely and that what we're seeing is concerted spin to keep people spending and prop the housing market? Any opinions? Can the UK move rates down whilst US rates may still be rising?

Real desparation evident in today's spin - even noticed a spinaholic or two posting on here this AM - blatant PR nonsense.

And now they're focusing on the 'interest rates are going down' message to reignite their housing market hopes.

"The link between property prices and wider economic activity is increasingly recognised by policymakers as a crucial factor for decisions on interest rates." and "Next year could see interest rates tumble, analysts have predicted."

Time for a bit of counter spin HPCers? - if they're going to focus their PR efforts on telling the public that interest rates are going to tumble, a certain number of potential buyers are going to actually believe them -this 'message' need to be countered.

I suspect drastic cuts in interest rates are highly unlikely and that what we're seeing is concerted spin to keep people spending and prop the housing market? Any opinions? Can the UK move rates down whilst US rates may still be rising?

quite frankly YEP

it will make a crash even more painful when it comes but I do thin rates will drop next year (although maybe not by 3x1/4 points!

The money markets say no change in IR for 2006. If anyone knows better that the IR future guys, let me know. K.

i dont think theres a chance in hell of any IR cuts. i think that was it.

they do at last recognise that a bubble has formed. the high st's migrating.

i dont see the need to cut it really.

i dont think theres a chance in hell of any IR cuts. i think that was it.

they do at last recognise that a bubble has formed. the high st's migrating.

i dont see the need to cut it really.

Correct, and the current interest rate is really going to start to hurt next year. This is it guys; no more practice runs; no more spring bounces; this is house price moderation (aka HPC).

Strange how the meedya never seems to mention IR futures!

http://today.reuters.co.uk/investing/finan...ITAIN-RATES.XML

Bean said, "It so happens that rates have been stable, but I don't think we would feel constrained about moving them round more if that was necessary to achieve the target."

BIG DEAL!!!

"The other key uncertainty is pay and whether there are any significant second-round effects as a result of the largely oil-driven pick-up in consumer price inflation over the past year," the British central banker said.

Britain's annual pay round typically runs through to April.

"There may be relevant news that comes in the interim which points very clearly in one direction or the other. I don't think it's a case of saying we are just going to sit here until the springtime doing nothing. It will be very much responding to the news coming in," he said.

What's the news story here? 'Bean says interest rates may go up or down'

:lol:

alternatively, they could go up !

What's the news story here? 'Bean says interest rates may go up or down'

:lol:

Changes in interest rates. Yes, but no, but yes, but no, but ....

The reality is that there are still significant inflationary forces out there, and with oil remaining high I'd guess we're going to see a dip in CPI and then it may start to take off again next year. I think CPI is still above the BoE's target, so no need for an immediate adjustment. The economy is weakening, yes, but I can't see people stop buying food, clothes etc.. When the squeeze comes I think it'll hit the amount people are willing to pay in mortgage payments and rent. MEW is already dead, what more is there to gain from rising house prices now? However, we have a lot to gain (as a society) from house prices being lower.

With US and EU IRs going up is it really likely that our IRs will fall -

I wont profess to know much about this, but I thought there was a strong tie up between the three, ie if our rates are lower than the US then the pound ends up devalued, with all the consequential problems, rising infaltion etc due to the higher price of imports - if thats true then is there much margin to cut rates here, or are the US and EU also likely to cut rates again next year?

Wow looks like I am the only one that thinks IR will go down in Jan! Well When it happens I can have a smug told you so grin :)

And if they dont go down I can have a smug wooohoooo Crash is coming smug grin too!