House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

200p

Angus Burgers Recalled - May Contain Wood!

Back in the day, the pips in cheap raspberry jam always used to be bits of wood to give the impression of lots of fruit, when, in fact, it was mainly flavoured apple jelly.

And the glue came from...?

Did you mean "and the glue came from..?" - if so, you have joined a couple of dots. It is making a profit while producing food as cheaply as possible, because good food seems to be the item in most people's shopping basked that least value is placed upon owning. Madness.

(Ahh, I see you edited it)

Yeah for some reason either my fingers skipped it or the autocorrect did.

I remember reading about the siege of Lenin grad people boiling up wallpaper to get the starch out of the paste. Also that lots of glue used to be made from stuff like tendons and hooves. One wonders if they used cow hooves and tendons for the job.

Yeah for some reason either my fingers skipped it or the autocorrect did.

I remember reading about the siege of Lenin grad people boiling up wallpaper to get the starch out of the paste. Also that lots of glue used to be made from stuff like tendons and hooves. One wonders if they used cow hooves and tendons for the job.

that was a source - recycling - (to be sure to destroy the prion you need to maintain a temperature >480C for 4 hours)

Back in the day, wallpaper paste was just cellulose (Poyl'cell') a polysaccharide, and so a source of fixed, solar energy.

Also if people haven't seen

screen%20shot%202014-02-24%20at%204.31.1

Guess how old this burger is? Answer in link http://www.businessinsider.com/the-reason-mcdonalds-burgers-dont-rot-2014-5?IR=T

Fast food burgers don't rot as they are loaded with so many preservatives.

It has nothing to do with the preservatives. It is because they become dessicated before they rot in the humidity of a normal household environment. If you made a burger the same size shape and weight out of "organic" ingredients and left it in a warm dry area in your home, it wouldn't rot either. Or you can leave fast food in sealed container which prevents dessication and it'll rot at roughly similar rates to equivalent organic foods left under the same conditions. (It's actually quite interesting, see: http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/11/the-burger-lab-revisiting-the-myth-of-the-12-year-old-burger-testing-results.html )

It has nothing to do with the preservatives. It is because they become dessicated before they rot in the humidity of a normal household environment. If you made a burger the same size shape and weight out of "organic" ingredients and left it in a warm dry area in your home, it wouldn't rot either. Or you can leave fast food in sealed container which prevents dessication and it'll rot at roughly similar rates to equivalent organic foods left under the same conditions. (It's actually quite interesting, see: http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/11/the-burger-lab-revisiting-the-myth-of-the-12-year-old-burger-testing-results.html )

I once left a crumpet on top of a speaker. Was there about a year, didn't rot just went very dry.

I once left a crumpet on top of a speaker. Was there about a year, didn't rot just went very dry.

Man, that was one heavy trip! :blink:

Did you tell her you'd call?

Many years ago as a humble clerk clerk in the Inland Revenue I was told the tale of a tax case involving a trust on an aristocratic estate that was recalled from the file repository after about 40 years. When opened it was found to contain a dessicated but perfectly preserved ham sandwich which clearly had been accidentally filed away with all the papers just before the Second World War. Once exposed to the humidity of the office it apparently quite literally fell apart in front of the amazed staffs eyes like a vampire exposed to sunlight in an old horror film.