House Price Crash Forum
dgul

Developers Should Pay Full Council Tax On Homes Not Yet Built

Story on the BBC:

Developers that fail to swiftly build properties when planning permission is in place should face stiff penalties, the Local Government Association says. Builders should pay full council tax on homes not built before the original planning permission expires, the body, which represents local councils, said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35245313

Seems like a good idea to me.

Brilliant.

How about, "drivers to pay road tax on 2nd cars they might buy their wife."

The tax grabbers must be getting desperate.

A perfect like for like comparison ....

All fanciful idea's that will never see light of day I'm afraid.

Tax land as much as possible

Tax everything else, as little as possible.

Builders should pay full council tax on homes not built before the original planning permission expires, the body, which represents local councils, said.

Double or treble council tax more like.

In a situation of a supposed housing crisis there should be no money made from hoarding land. It's too damaging to the UK economy and it's a matter of national security.

Edited by billybong

They should either build on it meaning complete the build to sell or rent or sell to others to complete the build to sell or rent or self build to live in......time limit applies or penalty imposed.

Edited by winkie

my company built some flats in Milton Keynes a while back

development was delayed by c6 months are we could not sign off the highways agreement (a pre-condition to development) because the officer was on long term sick

think we'd have been pretty pi**ed off if we'd have been charged a tax for that period

the idea that 600k permissions lie idle is moot

however I fully support the LVT, as this would just reduce the price of land (prices are always maxed out on sale) which would reduce the windfall tax for land owners, for what is not a free market

my company built some flats in Milton Keynes a while back

development was delayed by c6 months are we could not sign off the highways agreement (a pre-condition to development) because the officer was on long term sick

think we'd have been pretty pi**ed off if we'd have been charged a tax for that period

the idea that 600k permissions lie idle is moot

however I fully support the LVT, as this would just reduce the price of land (prices are always maxed out on sale) which would reduce the windfall tax for land owners, for what is not a free market

Couldn't the council get a contractor in? I would have guess the council tax they have got 6 months quicker would have paid for it.

Yet another absurdity of the planning system then.

Dear Sir,

one of our staff is a bit poorly so can you just hang fire for several months on your multi-million pound development.

thanks in advance (btw you have no choice).

Scrap the whole lot & roll it back to how it was pre-1947 stalinist power grab.

All fanciful idea's that will never see light of day I'm afraid.

Tax land as much as possible

Tax everything else, as little as possible.

Agree that LVT is the way to go. I doubt we would need many other taxes if this route was taken.

Would be a good move but a better one would be charge them council tax from the word go planing permission or not ,house builders buy land to build houses tax the land from day 1

Not always...a lot of them use 'options' where they pay landowners a deposit type payment to gain future rights over land should it be granted planning permission.