House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Andrea

Ending Tenancy When Landlords Are Abroad

My landlords are currently on holiday until the end of March. No agent involved. I have the telephone number for the sister for any emergencies. I don't have an email address for the landlords but could ask her for one - I just want to check where I stand first. This current place is cold and damp with crap heating so I'm looking for somewhere else.

Am I able to end my tenancy agreement? What if there is no way of contacting them? And what about my deposit - would it be held until they get back and are able to inspect the property?

Sorry, should probably add some further details.

I had a 12 month AST that was never renewed.

My deposit IS being held in a protection scheme.

Legally the deposit needs to be returned a number of days after the end of the tenancy ( probably something like 10 or 21 working days, check with he scheme holding the money) assuming there are no issues.

Keep copies of all paperwork - special delivery confirmations on notice letters etc. I believe the penalties applied to the LL by the deposit protection schemes for failing to meet the requirements are quite nice (for the tenant...).