House Price Crash Forum

Isis Is Trying To Develop Batteries For Decomissioned Surface-To-Air Missiles

HOLA441

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/isis-new-missiles-developed-passenger-jets-syria-raqqa-a6798161.html

Isis scientists and weapons experts have developed sophisticated new weaponry capable of shooting down passenger jets, it has been revealed.

Newly emerged footage shows militants at the group's Syrian base in Raqqa creating a homemade thermal battery, for use in decommissioned military surface-to-air missiles.

Experts say terror groups have had access to such weapons for decades - but storing them and creating the thermal battery vital to the missile's function is very difficult without advanced knowledge.

“After the US and UK entered Afghanistan in 2001, there were fears that Stinger missiles given by the Americans to the Afghan Mujaheddin to shoot down Russian aircraft may be used by the Taliban against the Western forces" he said.

“That never came to pass because the missiles’ batteries had a limited shelf life and the Taliban were not able to find a way around that. If Isis has developed a process that enables them to replace these batteries, that will obviously be of major concern.”

It is now feared that with access to this kind of battery, Isis could potentially be capable of recommissioning thousands of disused missiles.

How well do old missiles keep? Will they need re-fuelling etc???

HOLA442

When the Russian Metrojet was downed in Egypt recently i suspected a Manpad brought it down,

after looking in to the Stinger specs on Wiki i think the batteries are good for up to 10yrs, yes they will eventually become unworkable due to the battery life.

Yesterday news broke of an ISIS missile tech college / training which showed how highly advanced

they had become, suprising intelligence experts.

Stingers are (allegedly) believed to have been supplied to Libyan rebel forces during the arab spring overthrow of Gaddafi.

s

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

When the Russian Metrojet was downed in Egypt recently i suspected a Manpad brought it down,

after looking in to the Stinger specs on Wiki i think the batteries are good for up to 10yrs, yes they will eventually become unworkable due to the battery life.

Yesterday news broke of an ISIS missile tech college / training which showed how highly advanced

they had become, suprising intelligence experts.

Stingers are (allegedly) believed to have been supplied to Libyan rebel forces during the arab spring overthrow of Gaddafi.

s

Way to go Dave. And Hilary of course.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

This. My guess is that its about more than just the batteries. Maybe the thing has some sort of bios that is battery backed (like a PC) and once the battery goes down it loses the configuration. It wouldn't take a genius to figure out how to replace the battery.

There's batteries and there's batteries. If the battery is on the missile itself it will have to be less than a certain weight and still be able to power the missile. In all likelihood it will be a pretty advanced battery to meet the specs. Easy to define on paper, manufacturing them not so easy.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

From being unheard of to advanced technology/technical colleges in the space of a couple of years - not even any mention of outside advisors. At the very least some part of the media narrative is missing.

I have wondered this for a long time. It could be because I am really stupid. But from the execution videos, which show a decent level or choreography and post production, to what they can achieve militarily, ISIS is more of an enterprise than I understand from how I see it portrayed in the media.

HOLA4412

From being unheard of to advanced technology/technical colleges in the space of a couple of years - not even any mention of outside advisors. At the very least some part of the media narrative is missing.

They have simply taken over the existing Iraqi infrastructure. Iraq is not a technologically backward country. A lot of the IS is formed from Sunni Iraqis and Syrians, including many well-educated people.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I have wondered this for a long time. It could be because I am really stupid. But from the execution videos, which show a decent level or choreography and post production, to what they can achieve militarily, ISIS is more of an enterprise than I understand from how I see it portrayed in the media.

I thought you would approve of battery powered missiles. Shows a level of concern for the environment sadly lacking in the West.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Mind you it wouldn't be a complete surprise to hear that they have a network of underground bunkers either. Those rumoured under Baghdad with underground railway lines for instance.

Very like

bin-laden-fortress.jpg

This Tora Bora diagram was utter fantasist nonsense.

They left out the opening dome, laser death ray and pool full of sharks.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

(I've not read the article) but I suspect it's not *batteries* they're jury rigging but the Battery Cooling Unit. This uses a gas to chill the sensor and IR discrimination to function. The unit also contains a battery.

BCUs do have a shelf life but I suspect the real problem may be caused by missiles being passed around and each new owner installing the BCU to see if everything's working - and only then realising they've drained it.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

The sort of batteries they are talking about are high capacity lithium primary batteries capable of supplying multiple voltages and able to withstand stupid levels of G - you can still them in artillery ordnance and they still work.

That said, with the advances in Li-Po over the last few years, I'd be surprised if someone couldn't cobble something together that did the job out off of the shelf parts.

Remember that nice old chap who got extradited to the US for "selling batteries" - it was probably this sort of thing he was selling.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

ISIS are just mercenaries of the Western intelligence agencies. If people can't see that they are the new bogey man then there is no help. These 'news' articles that tell us ISIS are doing this ISIS are doing that are just commercial advertising so we allow more of our money to sink into the black hole of 'anti-terrorism funding'.

ISIS can do this - give us more money

ISIS are doing this - give us more money

ISIS may do this - give us more money

FFS

HOLA4425

ISIS are just mercenaries of the Western intelligence agencies. If people can't see that they are the new bogey man then there is no help. These 'news' articles that tell us ISIS are doing this ISIS are doing that are just commercial advertising so we allow more of our money to sink into the black hole of 'anti-terrorism funding'.

This week's blanket media dissection of an ISIS propaganda video would tend to suggest you are correct.

Archived