House Price Crash Forum

Rightmove Launch Inquiry Into Agents Relisting Stock

HOLA441

Well known to users on this forum - is it done to such an extent that it skews RM's Asking Price index?

Rightmove last night confirmed that it is conducting an inquiry into alleged portal juggling.

That is the alleged gaming of the system, by which some properties are taken down and then added again as though they are new listings.

Sometimes, it is alleged, the properties are taken down after being advertised at one price.

They are then added again at a new price, and then very shortly afterward can be viewed as under offer.

That, says a circle of agents which has been conducting online research into listings and using Twitter to make some of their claims, allows some firms to claim that they are achieving a high percentage of the asking price.

Other properties apparently include some that look as though they were listed after open house events were advertised.

Yesterday evening, a Rightmove spokesperson, speaking after being sent alleged examples, told EYE: We have a process in place for all data quality queries that we receive, which involves thoroughly researching the properties on our system and speaking with the agent in question, to find out if there is a legitimate reason for a property being added.

We do not tolerate reloading properties as new and if there is found to be no legitimate reason for a property coming back on the market this is escalated in line with our process, and dealt with accordingly.

This is an ongoing query and we can update you once its been completed.

http://www.propertyindustryeye.com/rightmove-confirms-ongoing-inquiry-into-portal-juggling/

HOLA442

Well known to users on this forum - is it done to such an extent that it skews RM's Asking Price index?

http://www.propertyindustryeye.com/rightmove-confirms-ongoing-inquiry-into-portal-juggling/

Good.

I tweeted them and people like trading standards on this in the summer, they said there was nothing wrong happening/

I said fair play to them for responding and at the end of the day, rightmove is actually a brilliant website.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Yes, some of them relist their entire catalogue, I used to think it was to circumvent Propertybee history data but I'm not sure how many people use that. Great tool.

The examples I sent them were more to do with their using "new listing", "reduced" tags which were not 100% accurate if viewed in the context of property bee.

I am hoping my tweets went some way to stopping any duplicity. If they did then it's a tiny victory for HPC and decency.

IIRC I tweeted trading standards and BBC watchdog at the same time at property bee and RM.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I complained to RM every time I saw this happening in my area. Must have sent over 40 emails. Rarely got a reply but when I did it was actually quite helpful. I know people dislike RM but I think they've come a long way in siding with the buyer/customer rather than the greedy agent - which is why the greedy EA's created onthemarket. Incidentally, has that died a painful death yet?

Just a heads up: A few agents have taken to putting the location as some sort of marketing tool such as "PRICED TO SELL" rather than the actual location. Obviously desperate. I grass them up to RM, make sure you bookmark it, it'll be changed within 24 hours!

Edited by spunko2010

HOLA4411

I complained to RM every time I saw this happening in my area. Must have sent over 40 emails. Rarely got a reply but when I did it was actually quite helpful. I know people dislike RM but I think they've come a long way in siding with the buyer/customer rather than the greedy agent - which is why the greedy EA's created onthemarket. Incidentally, has that died a painful death yet?

Just a heads up: A few agents have taken to putting the location as some sort of marketing tool such as "PRICED TO SELL" rather than the actual location. Obviously desperate. I grass them up to RM, make sure you bookmark it, it'll be changed within 24 hours!

As I said above, I have no problem with right move it's a brilliant web site for looking for a house and I commended them at the time for replying to queries ( more than Brandon Lewis, the housing minister does ).

It's a shame for them that none of the houses are now worth buying :lol::lol::lol:

HOLA4412

And from estate agents too, of all people!

What as that in the news the other day, about the Assn. of EAs forecasting a 'buying frenzy' any day now, and warning that prices could 'soar 50%' in the next 10 years?

EAs of course being renowned for their wholly unbiased forecasts of the housing market, contaminated by no wishful thinking whatsoever.

HOLA4413

If Rightmove cared about data integrity then once a property goes in to the db, then its in for good. Even if it sells and comes back onto the market years later.

Unless the intention is to deceive buyers and frustrate price discovery

HOLA4414

If Rightmove cared about data integrity then once a property goes in to the db, then its in for good. Even if it sells and comes back onto the market years later.

Unless the intention is to deceive buyers and frustrate price discovery

Maybe Trading standards take a dim view of this.

Based on their replies to my tweets I dont think they were going to change so I guess someone else got involved.

HOLA4415

A couple of our local EAs would list recently sold properties as 'for sale', they would then quickly go 'under offer' showing how high demand was and if you didn't offer now you would miss out.

We could probably write a whole raft of tricks that we've seen used.

The listed but not for sale house.

The prominent sales board locations that appear with SSTC going on soon after, but no sale ever takes place.

HOLA4416

I find it strange that there is not a 'report to rightmove' function on the listings for this sort of issue and others. There is a 'report to agent' but the agent isn't going to do f all about it. One annoying issue that I often see is terraced houses listed as detached, flats as houses, etc., etc.

I hate that, so many search platforms from eBay, Gumtree, Rightmove, whatever, you put in your search, filter by category and see entry after entry of shite that doesn't fall in that category. If I want to buy a mobile phone and not a case for it, filtering by mobile phone rather than accessories should work no? Of course it bloody doesn't!

And who do they think they're kidding? Especially on something like rightmove, surely even a BTL'er isn't stupid enough to pay a detached price on a terraced house when there's a picture clearly indicating that it's terraced... well maybe not.

HOLA4417

It seems there are too many platforms, outlets and variables for there not to be problems. One thing would be to take everything back up to the property level, probably at the Land Registry, give everything a unique reference (they probably already have this) and anything to do with that property has to be logged and recorded at every stage. Failing that just carry on as it is with information, which is easily manipulated, all over the place.

HOLA4418

I've noticed agents 'resetting' properties on RM.

Here's an example:

It says "Added on Rightmove: 05 January 2016" and Property Bee has it as "06/01/2016 Initial Entry found."

Yet it's been on the market since September. It's in my Saved Properties list with "saved on 15 Sep 2015".

HOLA4419

Here's an example:

It says "Added on Rightmove: 05 January 2016" and Property Bee has it as "06/01/2016 Initial Entry found."

Yet it's been on the market since September. It's in my Saved Properties list with "saved on 15 Sep 2015".

For many reasons, I can see why you haven't bought it.

HOLA4420

Here's an example:

There are several ways you can find the previous listings. The easiest way is to scroll to the very bottom and note the property reference, then stick that into Google. In this case it doesn't seem to be unique enough to work but in most cases it does, the agent keeps the same reference number... EG: Property reference 25814065

The other way is to hover over the 'Check my Broadband speed" link which will give you the property's postcode. Stick that into Google eg "SK1 2BB" + "rightmove" as the search parameter. 99% of the time you'll find it.

HOLA4421

I find it strange that there is not a 'report to rightmove' function on the listings for this sort of issue and others. There is a 'report to agent' but the agent isn't going to do f all about it. One annoying issue that I often see is terraced houses listed as detached, flats as houses, etc., etc.

There is - bottom of right-hand sidebar, "Tell Us What You Think" link. It will pre-select the property you're reporting.

HOLA4422

There are several ways you can find the previous listings. The easiest way is to scroll to the very bottom and note the property reference, then stick that into Google. In this case it doesn't seem to be unique enough to work but in most cases it does, the agent keeps the same reference number... EG: Property reference 25814065

The other way is to hover over the 'Check my Broadband speed" link which will give you the property's postcode. Stick that into Google eg "SK1 2BB" + "rightmove" as the search parameter. 99% of the time you'll find it.

Thanks for the tip. Even though it didn't work you got me thinking, so I tried google cache. The previous listing is here:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:zsPkmgCruOAJ:www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54651392.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

SSTC 230K, now back unsold for 10K more.

For many reasons, I can see why you haven't bought it.

Not looking to buy, just keeping an eye on the area. But it's a weirdly laid out house.

HOLA4423

Well I never, creative accounting, who would have thought it.

Question to Accountant #1 at interview with CEO: What's 1 + 1.

Answer: 2

Question to Accountant #2 at interview with CEO: What's 1 + 1.

Answer: 2

Question to Accountant #3 at interview with CEO: What's 1 + 1.

Answer: What do you want it to be?

CEO: You're hired!

HOLA4424

Thanks for the tip. Even though it didn't work you got me thinking, so I tried google cache. The previous listing is here:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:zsPkmgCruOAJ:www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54651392.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

SSTC 230K, now back unsold for 10K more.

Not looking to buy, just keeping an eye on the area. But it's a weirdly laid out house.

Isn't this it?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-24576153.html

HOLA4425