House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hectors House

Building Materials Firm Goes Into Administration With 300 Job Losses

Workers at Leaderflush Shapland - in Langley Mill and Mansfield - have told the BBC they received redundancy letters on New Years Eve. They have also been told they have to claim redundancy payments from the Government.

The company made Doors & Doorsets, Integrated Doorsets and Architectural ironmongery for the housing market.

It was thought that jobs were safe but employees were told on New Years Eve.

http://www.northdevongazette.co.uk/news/leaderflush_shapland_owner_goes_into_administration_1_4356634?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social_Icon&utm_campaign=in_article_social_icons

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/MP-325-Derbyshire-workers-lose-jobs-Leaderflush/story-28458026-detail/story.html

It's crap when a company folds like that. I've certainly experienced it.

Sounds like the building boom is more of a bubble.

House-building has definitely stepped up a lot; that reads to me like a company that hasn't moved with the times and lost too much business to imports.

EIther bank facilities up for renewal or just cashflow - two weeks with no income (which is standard at Christmas) may be enough to tip a struggling company into failure.

Is there some kind of tax or legal reason why this seems to happen at xmas/ny. I have this vision of evil bosses trying to ruin peoples holidays :lol::blink:

I would rather be made redundant before xmas than after wasting money on shit nobody needs.

Is there some kind of tax or legal reason why this seems to happen at xmas/ny. I have this vision of evil bosses trying to ruin peoples holidays :lol::blink:

If a business' year end is 31st March, as is the case for most, then they have to file accounts (and pay any corporation tax) by 31st December.

House-building has definitely stepped up a lot; that reads to me like a company that hasn't moved with the times and lost too much business to imports.

To be fair, I don't think they did much in housing. They made high quality door sets suitable for schools, hospitals, public buildings etc. where the doors take a bit of a battering and have to be up to the job, also fire rated to one or two hours and prehung at works on heavy duty hinges.

The average spec for housing jobs are these £15 white MDF panel things which you see in B & Q. No doubt, as you say, they are imported from the Far East and the typical British school 'student' or hospital visitor could put his foot through it without much difficulty.

To be fair, I don't think they did much in housing. They made high quality door sets suitable for schools, hospitals, public buildings etc. where the doors take a bit of a battering and have to be up to the job, also fire rated to one or two hours and prehung at works on heavy duty hinges.

The average spec for housing jobs are these £15 white MDF panel things which you see in B & Q. No doubt, as you say, they are imported from the Far East and the typical British school 'student' or hospital visitor could put his foot through it without much difficulty.

I hadn't thought of that use Frankie.

For housing though there is housing and housing. Council house doors are £600 or so each IIRC, as it's far cheaper to buy a very solid one than a cheap one and keep sending a guy out to repair or replace it.

December 25th - Rent due day for most businesses.

Yes, in my experience it's that straw that usually breaks the camel's back in most cases.

Businesses that don't benefit from the seasonal uplift can be exceptionally quiet to the point of doing virtually nothing throughout December.

I hadn't thought of that use Frankie.

For housing though there is housing and housing. Council house doors are £600 or so each IIRC, as it's far cheaper to buy a very solid one than a cheap one and keep sending a guy out to repair or replace it.

There is almost permanently vast stocks of doors, door handles, bathroom fittings and similar being jobbed off for peanuts from cancelled orders from large housebuilders. I'[m not sure why unless housing isn't as buoyant as you might think the floor and wall tiling sector is completely on its ar5e but impossible to tell really whether it's lack of housing activity or lack or existing homeowners upgrading. There is a voyage of discovery going on that a nation of tenants and landlords spends sh1t all on DIY.