House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ghostly

Don't You Want To Be Rich?

What is it with all of these TV shows about the 'super' rich that are on at the moment? There is one on at the moment on BBC2 'The Millionaire's Gift Guide'. In recent months there have been shows about jewellery, cars (lightweight Jag E-type), yachts, houses, Rich Kids of Instagram and Christmas celebrations. I think there is another one on C4 tomorrow 'Rich Kids go Shopping'.

To go all tin foil hat about it it almost seems as if they are trying to humanise these people so that when the revolution comes they don't all get lynched. Funnily enough, I was re-watching 'The Dark Knight Rises' last night and got a laugh from the bit where Bane takes over Gotham and it is open season on the rich, with them being 'tried' and executed. The other side of it which I find disturbing is the number of people wanting to prostrate themselves to serve these people, I'm sure some people get a bit of wonga out of it but is it worth your dignity?

I must admit I do watch a few of these shows as I like to see some of the craftsmanship that goes in to some items and I've always been a sucker for fast cars.

What do you reckon of this stuff, harmless fun or propaganda?

I don't think I will ever be "rich", but over some years of idle drifting, I have accumulated some nice stuff, that I probably though I could never imagined I could have when I was younger. I almost have "enough". What a thought? :o

No. I can shop for myself, thanks. I don't need any sycophants telling me what to buy.

The 'what we bought' programme with that Mary portals woman was an eye opener for me. All these trends and fads had seemingly passed me by it is mad what so many people fall for, all to try to fit in.

I took a bottle of cava to a party over Christmas, I think they thought I was trying to poison them as it is now apparently only acceptable to drink cava, as was reinforced in this programme.

I think for the most part, they look at their target audience and think, "what would appeal to them?", and it occurs to them that the vast majority of their audience are up to their balls in debt, without a pot to piss in, and would dearly like the opportunity to agonise over what to buy with their fantasy millions. In other words, they're in the business of providing escapism for the masses.

To go all tin foil hat about it it almost seems as if they are trying to humanise these people so that when the revolution comes they don't all get lynched.

Tbh, I don't think so, purely because when the time comes, they'll get lynched anyway. We're talking about a public who will set fire to a paedeatrician's home because, well, he's a paedo innit? IMO programmes like this will simply reinforce the mood, because most of us are more apt to look for someone else to blame than to look at where we might have contributed to our own misfortune. And there's nothing a wave of public outcry to firmly pin the blame on someone else and equally firmly refuse to look in the mirror.

Blimey, I'm in a cheerful mood tonight.

As I have alluded to on the main forum a few times - I see this as just another sign of a 'top'.

Everyone's so mega rich isn't it amazing !!

What happens next usually goes to form.

I would either like to be mega mega rich (hundreds of millions) or just where I am, thankyou, which is almost financially independent but needing to weigh every purchase carefully.

If you have tens of millions, I think the risks, tax, and crime threats outweigh the benefits, frankly.

I would either like to be mega mega rich (hundreds of millions) or just where I am, thankyou, which is almost financially independent but needing to weigh every purchase carefully.

If you have tens of millions, I think the risks, tax, and crime threats outweigh the benefits, frankly.

Not if you don't feel obliged to play the role of a rich person.

I've said this before when "the huge lottery win" conversation comes up. My question always posed is: why does it need to change anything?

It will have given you total financial security for the rest of your life; that's surely brilliant in itself.

Would you really be happier with the rest of it? A bigger house means more maintenance, cleaning and gardening. If you're going to employ somebody to do it you need to recruit and manage them. A flash car means you're not happy to park all the places you used to in case it gets damaged or stolen. And what does a £20k watch do except weigh more and make you a potential muggee?

So if you acquire tens of millions then give them to me, because I won't do anything with them.

I don't think I will ever be "rich", but over some years of idle drifting, I have accumulated some nice stuff, that I probably though I could never imagined I could have when I was younger. I almost have "enough". What a thought? :o

You mean accumulate enough - then you die? Gulp. ?

The 'what we bought' programme with that Mary portals woman was an eye opener for me. All these trends and fads had seemingly passed me by it is mad what so many people fall for, all to try to fit in.

I took a bottle of cava to a party over Christmas, I think they thought I was trying to poison them as it is now apparently only acceptable to drink cava, as was reinforced in this programme.

I think the alcohol of choice is now prosecco, which I've never drunk - and never will. I don't need to follow trends - I make my own path in life. That means I'm never in fashion and always thought of as weird. That's fine by me.

I think the alcohol of choice is now prosecco, which I've never drunk - and never will. I don't need to follow trends - I make my own path in life. That means I'm never in fashion and always thought of as weird. That's fine by me.

I thought the prosecco / cava thing was people catching on that champagne is just the most heavily-marketed fizzy wine but if you ignore the hype you will find that cava / prosecco are actually not only cheaper but better.

So I view this trend as people seeing through the hype and selecting the better-value product. Rather than slavish fashion-following.

I thought the prosecco / cava thing was people catching on that champagne is just the most heavily-marketed fizzy wine but if you ignore the hype you will find that cava / prosecco are actually not only cheaper but better.

So I view this trend as people seeing through the hype and selecting the better-value product. Rather than slavish fashion-following.

This is my understanding of the increase in popularity of other fizzy wines and a move away from Champagne. As a rule the British have been one of the most stupid and easily duped 'markets' so we have lapped up stuff like Champagne. A move away from this mindset is a good thing IMO.

What is it with all of these TV shows about the 'super' rich that are on at the moment? There is one on at the moment on BBC2 'The Millionaire's Gift Guide'. In recent months there have been shows about jewellery, cars (lightweight Jag E-type), yachts, houses, Rich Kids of Instagram and Christmas celebrations. I think there is another one on C4 tomorrow 'Rich Kids go Shopping'.

To go all tin foil hat about it it almost seems as if they are trying to humanise these people so that when the revolution comes they don't all get lynched. Funnily enough, I was re-watching 'The Dark Knight Rises' last night and got a laugh from the bit where Bane takes over Gotham and it is open season on the rich, with them being 'tried' and executed. The other side of it which I find disturbing is the number of people wanting to prostrate themselves to serve these people, I'm sure some people get a bit of wonga out of it but is it worth your dignity?

I must admit I do watch a few of these shows as I like to see some of the craftsmanship that goes in to some items and I've always been a sucker for fast cars.

Do you honestly think these shows are trying to 'humanise' them? I'd have thought they were more on the lines of so many Mail stories, i.e. about people readers will love to hate because of their greed/stupidity/spendaholicism or whatever.

Having said that, I haven't watched any of them so I may well be pre-judging up the wrong street, so to speak.

Elderflower wine has a nice fizz to it.......all this bubbly plonk is all hype imo.....

I agree that people do not have to look rich to be rich........being rich brings with it many new responsibilities, many hangers on and possibly some resentful enemies.

.....rich is not only rich in money either.......rich being satisfied with, and making the most of what you have, and with the skills and talents bestowed to you. ;)

This is my understanding of the increase in popularity of other fizzy wines and a move away from Champagne. As a rule the British have been one of the most stupid and easily duped 'markets' so we have lapped up stuff like Champagne. A move away from this mindset is a good thing IMO.

As a red wine drinker I really don't get the carbonated white fizz thing, undrinkable and with no taste.

The only fizz I encounter these days is from a corked bottle of red, and I try and avoid that by buying a screw top.

I see the opposite. Part of the UK public likes to play the "I'm rich" role even if the are stone broke. It's all about appearances.

They also like to drink. Often excessively.

Cava was always seen as a poor man's Champagne....even if it was equal or superior to some costing twice the price or more.

Prosseco has marketed itself to be above Cava and to be an acceptable alternative to Champagne. It's all in the marketing. Nothing else. The UK falls for it. Every time.

Here in France not many people give a toss if someone serves cava, cremant, blanquet development limoux, etched.

It's all fizzy white wine......?

I'm in the either "not bothered" or "need many, many millions" category. The former means that I'm next to impossible to persuade at work with extra money, for example ("why on earth would I want a 'promotion' when it just means doing more of the stuff I don't like doing?") The latter would mean that I'd piss off HPC by spending it all on stopping crap being built. For personal quality of life I have no need at all for more money, there's nothing really all that much I want to buy.

I much prefer proseccco to champagne. Just think it tastes much nicer.

The latter would mean that I'd piss off HPC by spending it all on stopping crap being built.

I really don't know why you think that would annoy HPC.

I get the impression that 90%+ of people on here think that this country is over-crowded and over-developed.

There are many ways to bring down house prices that do not involve concreting over green spaces to build ever more houses and they are extensively discussed in the main forum.

I think it would annoy HPC because there's always a lot of moaning calling people NIMBYs whenever I look in the main forum, and calls for more building (and more motorways and electrified railways and so on). Even though I don't think that's the main cause of stupidly high house prices the simple, depressing fact is is if you're stupid enough to let the population keep growing you need more houses for them to live in, and I'd say that we were over-built a century ago.

Wouldn't mind having enough millions to buy the site right behind my house and turn it from a mess into a pleasant, small development though. It will doubtless get built on sooner or later anyway, although most likely with as many cheap and nasty houses crammed in as possible.

I think the main objection to NIMBYs is that their primary motivation seems to be to keep their own house prices high; not the loss of more nature.

I don't see the mass protests we used to get against road building for the big new developments so do wonder why the eco movement isn't mobilised against this. Maybe it's too insudious or maybe the new homes wrap themselves in the same false green cloak as hybrid cars.

There are some such genuine NIMBYs but these days anyone against any development seems to have the label thrown at them by its supporters, in a "that's your only motivation so we really don't need to pay you any attention" dismissal (the classic old "demonise the enemy" propaganda trick). It's true that most protests will be local but that's not really the same thing, people are just more likely to know and care about what's near them. Doesn't mean they think it's fine for it to be somewhere else. And of course sometimes someone's back yard isn't the right place and somewhere else is, so in those cases the term might be accurate but doesn't mean they're wrong (although it may be the right objection for the wrong reason).

I'd cynically say that we don't get protests much because people are far too out of touch with anything these days apart from the mobile phone screen in front of their face.

When I lived in London you could have called me a NIMBY.....gardens next door being sold and new houses built where the garden once was.....flats behind, new floor built on top of existing two floors......big Edwardian freehold family homes demolished and block of leasehold built in its place, garden turned into carpark.....still the values went up, but the quality of life certainly didn't. ;)

Edit to say: I would rather go for a long walk and actually see a horizon.

...still the values went up, but the quality of life certainly didn't. ;)

That's the UK in a nutshell. Quality of life has been dropping for years, often helped by supposed "improvements".

Anyway vaguely back on topic there's always the temptation of having enough wealth so that you don't need to do anything that you don't feel like doing, but I doubt it works much like that in practice, and those who pursue it (at whatever level) will never be satisfied (I think those calling out for things like faster travel are in the same boat too).