House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

frozen_out

Walking Gear

Yesterday I lost a bet, and as a result have a 40 mile walk to do. I'm in good health and fairly fit so I'm confident of being able to do it without too much training, the problem I have is that I have absolutely no gear.

Can anyone on here recommend some boots and suggest other things I will need? I'm aiming to do it in about 17-18 hours.

Make sure that you have worn in your boots before you attempt this. Buy bigger boots than your shoe size - I always suggest going up a size - as you can make bigger boots smaller with extra socks and insoles but you can't make smaller boots bigger.

I recommend using at least two pairs of socks, or perhaps three, as the socks will rub against each other, and probably will wear out, but it is preferable to have the socks rub as opposed to your skin rubbing. Using layers of socks in this way can minimise the chance of blisters.

Also, have at least two spare sets of socks - so you have the set you are wearing, one dry in your ruck-sack and the ones that you have just worn hanging from your ruck-sack drying. So if you are wearing two pairs in yours boots then you need at least sick pairs of socks.

Your choice of footwear will depend on where you are walking?

On the flat using, say, mostly pavements and bridleways/coastal paths.

Or the above and some hills, moorland, valleys.

Or mountains.

You need different footwear dependent upon what you are walking on and also, importantly, when you will be doing it.

Are you going to attempt this in the winter or in the spring/summer? If doing it in the summer, assuming that we do have a summer, you will need a summer season boot as opposed to a winter season boot.

Things to think about.

I've done the Oxam Trailwalker the last few years which is a 100k walk across the South Downs Way. Target time is 30 hours but our team did it in 16 and a half hours last year. Whilst walking boots can be good I prefer to use trail running trainers. Always wear two pairs of socks, one being a liner sock. Take a hydration unit to stay hydrated. Shorts or walking trousers, a good base layer, a fleece and a good waterproof are essential. I go to Cotswold normally. They'll kit you out no problem. Also plan your route and make sure you have enough food or stop off points to stock up. Good luck.

If on paved paths need spongy light walking boots or good trainers suited to your gait

Cheap synthetic hiking gear is fine. Base level is army surplus polycotton stuff and polyester fleeces. You'll thank yourself for properly breathable waterproofs, eg goretex or similar.

Socks. Find proper padded walking socks and use cheap coolmax liner socks in addition. Rub your feet on Vaseline before start of walk, supple skin blisters less easily.

Yesterday I lost a bet, and as a result have a 40 mile walk to do. I'm in good health and fairly fit so I'm confident of being able to do it without too much training, the problem I have is that I have absolutely no gear.

Can anyone on here recommend some boots and suggest other things I will need? I'm aiming to do it in about 17-18 hours.

This is doable in under 7 hours as a 6mph speed march.

Be careful not to be crushed under the weight of a huge rucksack full of socks.

Gooner82 has pretty much summed up what I do, it solved my lifelong blister problem caused by wearing thick wooly socks and heavy walking boots, neither of which I would consider these days.

Also moisturise your feet every day starting now; you want smooth and supple skin as well as thickened by walking.

Don't use surgical spirit as it just dries and roughens the skin; neither of which are good.

My liner socks are the cycling socks Aldi / Lidl do every few months, and are ideal.

Make sure that you have worn in your boots before you attempt this.

I recommend using at least two pairs of socks, or perhaps three, as the socks will rub against each other, and probably will wear out, but it is preferable to have the socks rub as opposed to your skin rubbing. Using layers of socks in this way can minimise the chance of blisters.

This.

If you can pick a nice day for the main event (reasonably certain of good weather - no rain) then apart from sensible trousers everything else is decoration.

Also on socks: I wear over the liner a double-skinned sock called something like 1,000 mile sock. This moves less than wearing two pairs. Still worn with the liner sock under.

Wear sandals, skirt and a metal helmet, like the Romans. :wacko:

Wear sandals, skirt and a metal helmet, like the Romans. :wacko:

This is clearly the only sensible **** on this thread ^

I tried to do west highland way with my pals few years ago with very little training. I am pretty fit and run a lot - but never do much long distance hiking etc..

It showed. Had to give up after one day. Felt fine at end of it - in fact had ten pints - but my foot was ******ed when I woke up the next day.

I actually ran up the last hill and took it way too fast - and also carried my own gear - one of my pals did tell me at the time but I didn't listen

It's definitely a different type of conditioning. If you are used to going out for 3-4 hour walks on a regular basis it will be no problem.

However if not I would recommend a fair bit of training beforehand.

If the feet are not used to pounding for 40 miles - they may not like it to much.

If the rest of you is in decent shape I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I'd recommend canvas walking boots. Good ankle support which trainers don't give you and they don't need as much breaking in as leather boots.

Also take torches. You can use them to set off before dawn or finish the walk after dark if it takes longer than you expect.

I did the Greensand Ridge Walk. 44 miles. More than a few years ago. I also wish I'd taken more photos as the whole thing was a bit of a blur.

To be frank, there are too many unknown variables here that, from the sound of it, frozen_out is not even aware of.

We can all wax lyrical on general stuff but we need to really know the route/conditions and time of year before recommending clothing and other stuff.

Even something such as walking on a hot summer's day can be ruined by having a very early start and finding yourself walking across a heavily dew-sodden field... and ending up with sodden shoes and socks if you chose the wrong footwear.

I'd recommend canvas walking boots. Good ankle support which trainers don't give you and they don't need as much breaking in as leather boots.

Also take torches. You can use them to set off before dawn or finish the walk after dark if it takes longer than you expect.

I did the Greensand Ridge Walk. 44 miles. More than a few years ago. I also wish I'd taken more photos as the whole thing was a bit of a blur.

Maybe you should have taken your spectacles then ?

Gooner82 has pretty much summed up what I do, it solved my lifelong blister problem caused by wearing thick wooly socks and heavy walking boots, neither of which I would consider these days.

Also moisturise your feet every day starting now; you want smooth and supple skin as well as thickened by walking.

Don't use surgical spirit as it just dries and roughens the skin; neither of which are good.

My liner socks are the cycling socks Aldi / Lidl do every few months, and are ideal.

LIkewise, could never get on with old style walking boots. Did the Lyke Wake in slightly hevy duty trainers when young - none of the fancy light weight walking type that are availble now, had to run the last half a doxen miles to make the 24hour limit as we had camped over night.