House Price Crash Forum

The Secret To Avoid Being Poor In January, Revealed By The Cab!

200p

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

I guess in Jersey there's a bigger divide between the haves and have-nots. You're not allowed to buy some cheaper houses if you're an incomer. The cheap ones are reserved for the natives. Also incomers have to bring a ridiculous amount of investment if they want to live there.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Something is not a bargain if you cannot afford it

There seems to be a deeper truth in there somewhere.

Something along the lines of some stuff is crazily overpriced and as an aside maybe it's to do with house prices?

It's a truth that the CAB maybe doesn't like to speak out loud so has opted for the sound bite.

HOLA448

‘Something is not a bargain if you cannot afford it': Citizens Advice warning over January sales

http://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2016/01/02/something-is-not-a-bargain-if-you-cannot-afford-it-citizens-advice-warning-over-january-sales/

They might have added, 'Or if you don't actually need it.'

I had a colleague who was endlessly moaning that she couldn't afford this or that, but was an absolute sucker for anything cheap in the sales, never mind if it was a vile colour or she had dozens more at home, many never even worn.

When she once turned up at work with yet another pair of trousers for peanuts from the M&S sale, I asked how many pairs she had at home.

'Erm, probably about 70.'

Her favourite post-'bargain' comment, however cheap and nasty and horrible the thing was, was, 'Well, you can't go wrong, can you?'

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I guess they'd have to want to work first.

Sure.....starting young helps, a good habit to have......some never have worked, some very rich people have never worked or really worked but still receive a wage.

Well, I`ve spent over 7 quid over chrismas and New Year.

Anyone who`s spent more than this should be taken out and shot.

7 quid, nothing wrong with that....but having no quid and spending 7 should be taken out and shot. ;)

HOLA4412

I couldn't go shopping today, as it was wet so I did it online. I've ordered trousers and shirts, and a pair of trainers.

HOLA4413

They might have added, 'Or if you don't actually need it.'

I had a colleague who was endlessly moaning that she couldn't afford this or that, but was an absolute sucker for anything cheap in the sales, never mind if it was a vile colour or she had dozens more at home, many never even worn.

When she once turned up at work with yet another pair of trousers for peanuts from the M&S sale, I asked how many pairs she had at home.

'Erm, probably about 70.'

Her favourite post-'bargain' comment, however cheap and nasty and horrible the thing was, was, 'Well, you can't go wrong, can you?'

Ha! I think we all know someone like that and have heard that exact line.

But most people aren't like that, at all. So it does irk me mightily when some patronising talking head starts pontificating about how "we" should rein in "our" consumerism. Do they actually know any real people or do they just read about Black Friday in the broadsheets and think that's what all common people are like?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Ha! I think we all know someone like that and have heard that exact line.

But most people aren't like that, at all. So it does irk me mightily when some patronising talking head starts pontificating about how "we" should rein in "our" consumerism. Do they actually know any real people or do they just read about Black Friday in the broadsheets and think that's what all common people are like?

Journalists do the 'we' thing all the time. Most annoying example I can remember was one particularly waste-of-space one writing, 'Let's face it, we're all obsessed with celebrities.'

Please, dear, speak for yourself and your vacuous ilk.

HOLA4416

Journalists do the 'we' thing all the time. Most annoying example I can remember was one particularly waste-of-space one writing, 'Let's face it, we're all obsessed with celebrities.'

Yes, although I will be poor in January. :blink:

HOLA4417

I take no interest in celebrities at all, wouldn't recognise most of them if I walked past them in the street....not interested in them or their lives.

HOLA4418

I take no interest in celebrities at all, wouldn't recognise most of them if I walked past them in the street....not interested in them or their lives.

Mabe you would notice me. I park a conspicuous car in beauty spots, and then unicycle in the nude playing a trombone!

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I broke into a fiver on Boxing Day and have regretted it ever since..

Ha! Including presents, drink, meals, and the sky high cost of postage (especially abroad) I'd say around £200 which is money well spent as I thoroughly enjoyed the last two weeks.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Very interesting thread about Jersey a few weeks back. Worth a read if anyone can find it.

To sum it up as I read it - jersey is now completely ******ed.

This one ? ...The Fall Of Jersey: How A Tax Haven Goes Bust - £145 M A Yr Black Hole

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/207539-the-fall-of-jersey-how-a-tax-haven-goes-bust-l145-m-a-yr-black-hole/?hl=jersey

HOLA4425

Archived