House Price Crash Forum

Str's Did You Get Last Minute Nerves/cold Feet ?

HOLA441

Everything seems to be going through so quickly with our house sale and we are now looking around for an affordable, good sized rental house in a nice area, which there do not seem to be many of, wrong time of year I'm sure.

Anyway, I'm suddenly "terrified" again and thinking of calling the whole thing off, is this part of the course ????

HOLA442
HOLA443

I am most certainly more relaxed with my money safely in the bank earning 5% interest than I would be if it were still tied up in a house.

I lost far less sleep over selling than I did over buying.

Now I feel vindicated, I am so glad that I sold, even though it wasn't something I really wanted to do.

Just make sure you put the cash somewhere safe.

Edited by BandWagon

HOLA444

Everything seems to be going through so quickly with our house sale and we are now looking around for an affordable, good sized rental house in a nice area, which there do not seem to be many of, wrong time of year I'm sure.

Anyway, I'm suddenly "terrified" again and thinking of calling the whole thing off, is this part of the course ????

Try reading the All-about-renting section of the forum.

That should help you to sort out your butterflies............ ;)

HOLA445

House moving is always a time of stres and uncertainty......What is your underlying motivation for doing this?

1) Is this purely a financial decision i.e. in the hope that you can then buy back in at a later stage much cheaper?

2) Was a move on the cards anyway and all you are doing is taking a leasing break prior to your next purchase?

I sold up almost 2 years ago under basis 2) and would do the same again.....however all in all I'm no better off financially for doing it and hence if it had been for 1) I might not be so happy.

HOLA446

House moving is always a time of stres and uncertainty......What is your underlying motivation for doing this?

1) Is this purely a financial decision i.e. in the hope that you can then buy back in at a later stage much cheaper?

2) Was a move on the cards anyway and all you are doing is taking a leasing break prior to your next purchase?

I sold up almost 2 years ago under basis 2) and would do the same again.....however all in all I'm no better off financially for doing it and hence if it had been for 1) I might not be so happy.

You'll wish you'd never asked BTLOpting out but the jist is we had to relocate due to hubby's job, couldn't sell so let our house and moved into rented.

The landlord wanted to sell that house after 12 months (although it's still empty 7 months later :) ) so we had to move again.

Now the current house we live in is stunning but expensive, however it is in catchment for a fantastic state school, literally the only one I have seen that I would send my children to. So if I want that school I have to suffer the pain of staying in the expensive house for another 2 months and therefore need a quick sale on the other house which is stood empty in a right state.

Now as TTRTR's rightly pointed out I hate renting, it is hell for me and my brood but the jist is that hubby still works up north so it's better for us to be here and if we go back to the house we own there are no local schools that are free so I'm paying school fees on top of the mortgage.

All in all I'm throughly fed up of the whole thing, the tennants trashed our house so it would cost me thousands to make it nice again and I'm not convinced we would get that money back.

In the same way I know buying a house would be a bad move I'm still a bit scared of selling too.

HOLA447

We sold 2 years ago and at first it felt very strange renting but I soon realised that houses are only bricks and mortar and no matter where you are its your home. We are now quite happy renting a lovely house close to my daughters school. Its been quite a liberating experience, no mortgage, no stress and we can move whenever we want to. There are advantages to renting.!

Good luck and you are not alone, there are other familys renting too.

Lou

HOLA448

Good luck, Terrified.

I have been through a similar experience (emotionally if not in terms of the facts of your situation).

The thing to avoid is the "grass is greener" approach. Do what you have to but don't look back and avoid the "if onlys"

When we had our house we were desparate to get rid of the mortgage, now we sometimes miss the house.

But all in all, we did the right thing for our circumstances. Each situation is different. I am sure that in your heart you know what is the right thing to do. Go for it and don't look back.

HOLA449

No that's purely down to letting a woman be in charge of major house related decisions :P;)

I was cra@@ing myself on the day of exchange the purchasers was going to pull out. A house they had looked at and liked at 285K but said it was just to pricey was reduced to the same price that we put ours on for 250K and achieved the first day of offering for sale. But our sale went through alright, the other house then attracted a buyer but it fell through, then reduced to 245K and they completed a month after we did. I bet they felt miffed thinking their house was worth 285K and having to drop the price 40K equal to -14%

As the head of the BOE said: Debt is real, house prices are a matter of opinion.

Edit: The Wife......she would buy a house tomorrow without a doubt....but I said I'd leave her first.............and what with me being fantastic in bed, she understandebly backs down everty time.

Edited by Catch22