House Price Crash Forum
cool_hand

David Cameron Pledges 2016 'game-Changer' In New Year's Message

Is it tarquin-htb?

(Oppressed minorities with upper class names and top public school educations getting additional help buying their first home counties mansion?)

Yeah yeah game changer promises promises :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The referendum must be imminent.

He's obviously had the think tanks working full out on finding a new expression using the word change in it. "Game changer" - high fives and much chortling.

Mark them down as more promises to be reneged on.

Edited by billybong

HaHa, the date of the referendum has gone back from 2016 to 'the end of 2017'.

Something is bound to come up by then for them to say: 'now is not the right time'.

Something has to be done to stop governments reneging on election manifesto promises.

So far this government has reneged on benefit cutbacks and I know a number of people who voted for them for that reason only.

I believe that it was by end of 2017 as a pledge:

Before the 2015 general election, the Conservatives pledged in their manifesto to legislate for an EU Referendum to be held by the end of 2017.[16] Following the election of a Conservative majority government on 7 May, Cameron reiterated that pledge, suggesting it might be brought forward to 2016.[44][45] The UK Government included the planned referendum in The Queen's Speech on 27 May[17] and introduced the European Union Referendum Bill 2015–16 in the House of Commons on the next day.

"We have listened and heard the plight of the generation struggling to buy their own home. For that reason, we are committed to doing the right thing. In the last budget, we extended the Help to Buy scheme in London from 20% to 40% of the price. Today, I can announce, we are extending that generous level of support to the whole country..."

I believe that it was by end of 2017 as a pledge:

Before the 2015 general election, the Conservatives pledged in their manifesto to legislate for an EU Referendum to be held by the end of 2017.[16] Following the election of a Conservative majority government on 7 May, Cameron reiterated that pledge, suggesting it might be brought forward to 2016.[44][45] The UK Government included the planned referendum in The Queen's Speech on 27 May[17] and introduced the European Union Referendum Bill 2015–16 in the House of Commons on the next day.

The bill says it will happen by the due date.....

The only thing which can alter that will be another bill. A bill a lot of the Tory party wouldn't support anyway... To even suggest such a measure would be the end of Dave the same day.

I'm sure it was QI last night that said the best way of deciding a government is to have a lottery. Like jury duty.

I love these cryptic 'what can i say that is so vague it wont come back and bite me in the ****' speeches...

Something has to be done to stop governments reneging on election manifesto promises.

So far this government has reneged on benefit cutbacks and I know a number of people who voted for them for that reason only.

Not just reneged on. Osborne actually put the deficit up in his Autumn statement!

As for a referendum? Pushing it back a year gives the City time to replace Dave with Boris Johnson after which it can be postponed indefinitely. Mark my words, if the criminal fraternity doesn't believe the vote can be won then the pig pleasurer is toast.

Edited by zugzwang

"We have listened and heard the plight of the generation struggling to buy their own home. For that reason, we are committed to doing the right thing. In the last budget, we extended the Help to Buy scheme in London from 20% to 40% of the price. Today, I can announce, we are extending that generous level of support to the whole country..."

i cant tell parody from reality anymore :(

i cant tell parody from reality anymore :(

+1

It's like the country is in some sort of Mash world.

I suppose the actual Mash wouldn't exist if it wasn't so.

Eventually proper economic policies will have to be introduced but who knows when.

Whoever invented the expression "Not on my watch" has a lot to answer for.

Edited by billybong

Its hard see past some economic turbulence in the next year or two, if only given how long we are into an expansion (albeit phony and unbalanced).

The cynic in me wonders if we have 08/09 repeat that then wouldn't be the "right time" to settle our relationship with Brussels. Can't see a vote taking place if economic confidence is shattering.

...I have gone off him, simply because his word is not his bond....says what he thinks people want to hear at the time, what suits him to say at the time...so therefore has lost creditability, disingenuous.....people have longer memories than he thinks they have.;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13083781

CONCLUSION

What I have set out today is a sober, comprehensive and effective plan to cut immigration, and cut it substantially.

Sober because we come to this debate clear-headed about not only the benefits of immigration…

…but also its impact on our public services, communities and society.

Comprehensive because we are leaving no stone unturned, taking action across all routes of entry to our country.

And effective - because we are doing all this in a way that strengthens our economy and enhances the status of our universities.

This time last year, we said we would listen to people's concerns and get immigration under control.

Today I can confidently say that we are getting there.

If we take the steps set out today, and deal with all the different avenues of migration, legal and illegal, then levels of immigration can return to where they were in the 1980s and 90s, a time when immigration was not a front rank political issue.

And I believe that will mean net migration to this country will be in the order of tens of thousands each year, not the hundreds of thousands every year that we have seen over the last decade.

Yes, Britain will always be open to the best and brightest from around the world and those fleeing persecution.

But with us, our borders will be under control and immigration will be at levels our country can manage.

No ifs. No buts.

That's a promise we made to the British people. And it's a promise we are keeping.

He is full of (sh)it.

If they had any sense they would do go for the EU vote as soon as possible while they are still in with a chance of avoiding brexit, if they wait another year and another 300k EU immigrants pour in there is pretty much no chance they can swing it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13083781

CONCLUSION

What I have set out today is a sober, comprehensive and effective plan to cut immigration, and cut it substantially.

Sober because we come to this debate clear-headed about not only the benefits of immigration…

…but also its impact on our public services, communities and society.

Comprehensive because we are leaving no stone unturned, taking action across all routes of entry to our country.

And effective - because we are doing all this in a way that strengthens our economy and enhances the status of our universities.

This time last year, we said we would listen to people's concerns and get immigration under control.

Today I can confidently say that we are getting there.

If we take the steps set out today, and deal with all the different avenues of migration, legal and illegal, then levels of immigration can return to where they were in the 1980s and 90s, a time when immigration was not a front rank political issue.

And I believe that will mean net migration to this country will be in the order of tens of thousands each year, not the hundreds of thousands every year that we have seen over the last decade.

Yes, Britain will always be open to the best and brightest from around the world and those fleeing persecution.

But with us, our borders will be under control and immigration will be at levels our country can manage.

No ifs. No buts.

That's a promise we made to the British people. And it's a promise we are keeping.

He is full of (sh)it.

David Cameron's 'bizarre and unachievable' promise to cut net migration is ridiculed by MPs who say his immigration cap pushed numbers UP

2F7C969D00000578-3365948-image-a-34_1450

Edited by rollover

He's committed to stepping down before the next general election. Which must mean he's worried about what legacy he will leave.

Apart from making Libya a failed state, I'm struggling to think of what he's achieved in power? It doesn't necessarily make him a bad leader though. Sometimes a country needs an ineffective leader.