House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Axanar: Studios Behind Star Trek Franchise Try To Shut Down 'independent' Fan Film

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/axanar-studios-behind-star-trek-franchise-try-to-shut-down-independent-fan-film-a6791126.html

A crowd-funded “independent” Star Trek movie has earned the wrath of the major studios behind the franchise who have taken out an injunction to stop the film being made.

Axanar, a forthcoming prequel whose producers have raised more than $1m so far on Kickstarter and Indiegogo, enlisted some of the crew who have worked on the mainstream movies. George Takei, who played Mr Sulu, has also reportedly helped advise the team.

If they can't make money on it what was the plan for the film, have the studios hit the panic button because they fear the film actually being good?

Looks quite good!

Excellent storytelling.. looks like it would blow Star Wars out of the water, let alone the rubbish that has recently passed for StarTrek.

Why is popular SF always space imperialism?

I watched a recent interview with Alan Moore who hypothesised that it's because the US has no glorious history. They can't get hung up on how great they were (like the UK for example) so they have to get hung up on how great they're going to be. This is manifested in various ways in popular science fiction.

Science fiction isn't about the future. It's about how we are now and how we want to be. And if we are right we want to expand ourselves beyond our little village, county, country, continent, planet, solar system, galaxy, universe etc etc. After all if we are wrong there is no point existing.

After all if we are wrong there is no point existing.

Either way it would end in a big freeze / crunch so what then for the point of existence?

Whether our legacy is the population of one plant or half the universe beforehand seems somewhat irrelevant and futile. Though I guess it would fulfill our human instinct/desire for empire building. Unless we bump into another race who decide to farm us for alien food in the process..

Though I guess it would fulfill our human instinct/desire for empire building. Unless we bump into another race who decide to farm us for alien food in the process..

It all boils down to the driving force behind human existence. Which the most fulfilling appears the be the "will to power". For me it explains much of everyone's motivation today and tomorrow.

Either way it would end in a big freeze / crunch so what then for the point of existence?

There isn't one, so you may as well just try to be happy (something I'm clearly no good at). It's a point I think that a lot of people miss, and why I think the constant obsession with new this, that, and the other is totally pointless since it doesn't actually make people fundamentally any happier. It did in the past, when it dragged us out of a daily struggle for survival so maybe that's why people still mistakenly cling to it.

There isn't one, so you may as well just try to be happy (something I'm clearly no good at)

Indeed.. perhaps you just enjoy being melancholy sometimes :)

Regarding the film, I realised one element that makes it feel fresh. Not a single "beautiful" young actor.. makes everything feel more immersive and believable.

Indeed.. perhaps you just enjoy being melancholy sometimes :)

That wouldn't be so bad, I'm usually just left wanting feeling sick and wanting to punch people very hard. Maybe it's a pity I also dislike hurting people. Probably not really.

Regarding the film, I realised one element that makes it feel fresh. Not a single "beautiful" young actor.. makes everything feel more immersive and believable.

Good point, it does make it feel much more real.

The first trailer for next year's official star trek flick turned up a couple of weeks ago and it looks ruddy awful. I'd much rather watch a completed Axanar.

Caveat: I watch every episode of "Star Trek New Voyages" and "Star Trek Continues" as they slowly come out, so I'm probably quite sad.

There isn't one, so you may as well just try to be happy (something I'm clearly no good at).

No shit Sherlock !!!

:)

I believe CBS is brining out a new TV series of Star Trek. An independent film would be a distraction and a competing product.

People have made other films and shows since Star Trek was abruptly cancelled in the last TV series "Enterprise", as interest waned, but this was OK because the official studios had withdrew investment.

However, today, there is a new generation of fans with the JJ Abrams reboot.

---

^Star Trek Renegades - independent film

I watched a recent interview with Alan Moore who hypothesised that it's because the US has no glorious history. They can't get hung up on how great they were (like the UK for example) so they have to get hung up on how great they're going to be. This is manifested in various ways in popular science fiction.

I presume by that statement you mean white European settlers have no glorious history, I think native Americans would have a rather different view.

I presume by that statement you mean white European settlers have no glorious history, I think native Americans would have a rather different view.

Well, native Americans don't have much of a "glorious" history either to be fair.

They were hunter-gather tribes who were overwhelmed and run off their lands by invading foreigners.

History, perhaps ( though probably not documented). Glorious.. Probably a stretch!

Well, native Americans don't have much of a "glorious" history either to be fair.

They were hunter-gather tribes who were overwhelmed and run off their lands by invading foreigners.

History, perhaps ( though probably not documented). Glorious.. Probably a stretch!

Not quite true. From what I've read, the Plains Indians were already a post-collapse rump before the first European settlers arrived, devastated by disease and agricultural failure.

Not quite true. From what I've read, the Plains Indians were already a post-collapse rump before the first European settlers arrived, devastated by disease and agricultural failure.

I'll bow to your being more widely read on the subject.

I thought it was the Europeans who brought the diseases that decimated them. That was certainly true further south.

I'll bow to your being more widely read on the subject.

I thought it was the Europeans who bought the diseases that decimated them. That was certainly true further south.

Yes but the diseases travelled north faster than the settlers, who encountered a post-collapse situation when they finally arrived. The huge herds of bison roaming the Plains were a fairly recent result of reduced hunting pressure following this population decline.

Yes but the diseases travelled north faster than the settlers, who encountered a post-collapse situation when they finally arrived. The huge herds of bison roaming the Plains were a fairly recent result of reduced hunting pressure following this population decline.

HPC is always a learning experience :)

Given that the native Americans didn't live in a country called the US I guess that's pretty much self evident.

Here's the interview with Moore, worth watching if you have a spare few minutes:

Lawsuit now dropped.. obviously worried about how the bad publicity might affect the popularity of their own new release.

Edit to add linky: http://io9.gizmodo.com/paramounts-lawsuit-against-axanar-productions-star-trek-1777959978

Not dropped yet. Just two directors claiming that it will be - just as they start the PR work for the new film. Needs to be legally dropped officially for it to be over.