House Price Crash Forum

How Ronald Reagan Based His Foreign Policy On Tom Clancy Books

interestrateripoff

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3378683/Ronald-Reagan-advised-Margaret-Thatcher-read-Tom-Clancy-s-thriller-Cold-War-strategy.html

• Late US president said he was ‘much impressed’ by Clancy thriller
  • He said Red Storm Rising gave an ‘excellent picture’ of Soviet's intentions
  • Exchanged was released as part of documents by the National Archives in Kew, London

Ronald Reagan had an unusual suggestion to help Margaret Thatcher understand the mentality of the Soviet leader: read Tom Clancy's thriller.

Papers released by the National Archives in Kew, London, reveal the former US president was "much impressed" with Clancy's Red Storm Rising, which takes places in Russia where an Islamist terror attack triggers a Third World War.

After his meeting with Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev, Mr Reagan said that reading the book would help Mrs Thatcher understand Russia's Cold War thinking.

He said the book provided an "excellent picture" of Soviet intentions.

Briefing Mrs Thatcher after his meeting with Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev in Reykjavik, Iceland, in October 1986, he complained that Mr Gorbachev had only demanded a freeze on America's planned 'Star Wars' missile defence shield as a cover so the Russians could 'go ahead like crazy with their own missile defence plans'.

'The President strongly commended to the Prime Minister a new book by the author of Red October called (I think) Red Storm Rising,' Mrs Thatcher's foreign affairs adviser Charles Powell noted in his record of their telephone call.

'It gave an excellent picture of the Soviet Union's intentions and strategy. He had clearly been much impressed by the book.'

Thank god no one had the finger on the nuclear button if this is the level of analysis used....

However there is the ironic twist that Clancy is clearly the new Nostradamus and everyone must read his books as events are very close to this. Was it perhaps sage advise from Reagan?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Naw, that would be too close to real life.

really??... flat earth suspended by four large elephants????

there seem to be quite a few members of the cabinet/royalty that still subscribe to flat earth theology.

..Arrogantly enough, they also still seem to think anybody who disagrees with them is a heretic.

we went through this crap centuries ago, and they were theologically and scientifically humiliated then.

I for one, do not wish for a repeat performance.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Red Storm Rising is a fantastic read, in fairness. First read it when I was 14 and was utterly riveted. I might be due a re-read about now, I tend to do one once every 8 years. My politics have done about a 360 since I first read it and I've always enjoyed it however I'm inclined at the time.

I was a big Clancy fan in my teens and enjoyed most of the rest of his 80s/early 90s work; but I don't think I could possibly enjoy Clear And Present Danger now that I know that the War On Drugs is a massive crime against humanity. Red Storm Rising has none of that cultural baggage. If you've not read it, do, and push on through the pedestrian first few chapters till the war starts. It's quite brilliant.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I was a big fan of 'The Survivalist' series of books written by Jerry Ahern in the 1980s.

He used to knock out a book fairly rapidly. A complete load of hokum adventure about WW3, the Soviets winning it, the invasion and collapse of the United States and, um, the end of the world. I kinda lost interested after the hero, and his family, waking up thousands of years after the holocaust to discover that Nazis, who had been hiding and plotting in South America, now ruled the planet.

It was complete nonsense, but fun nonetheless, and it had all the stuff - square-jawed all-American hero, blonde babe wife, guns, more guns, lots more guns and then a load more guns - that would appeal to a certain American mindset. If he was writing the stuff today I think the books would be even more successful :lol:

I mention it was the books were very much of their time and of the Reagan period when WW3 was just around the corner and, supposedly, there was a commie spiy undereath every bed.

24591.JPG

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

No chance renty.

I watch Spartacus for that kind of thing...

;)

XYY

Arr! You want the Geordie version of the worthy chronicles of Dr Suess." Horton hoys a hooer"! That'll stop you getting excited about boys' bums in rugger it! ;)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Arr! You want the Geordie version of the worthy chronicles of Dr Suess." Horton hoys a hooer"! That'll stop you getting excited about boys' bums in rugger it! ;)

Geordie Dr Suess...? Nee way that's true Pinny man.

The cat wears red and white stripes - he'd be lynched within five minutes..!

;)

XYY

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Geordie Dr Suess...? Nee way that's true Pinny man.s

The cat wears red and white stripes - he'd be lynched within five minutes..!

;)

XYY

I had never thought of the symbolism of that!. Obviously the "red and white shite" are only popular in the Toon when they play a London or Southern team. I sometimes wonder whether the good doctor had ever been futher North than Gateshead!

HOLA4422

Red Storm Rising is a fantastic read, in fairness. First read it when I was 14 and was utterly riveted. I might be due a re-read about now, I tend to do one once every 8 years. My politics have done about a 360 since I first read it and I've always enjoyed it however I'm inclined at the time.

I was a big Clancy fan in my teens and enjoyed most of the rest of his 80s/early 90s work; but I don't think I could possibly enjoy Clear And Present Danger now that I know that the War On Drugs is a massive crime against humanity. Red Storm Rising has none of that cultural baggage. If you've not read it, do, and push on through the pedestrian first few chapters till the war starts. It's quite brilliant.

Just got the book, will read it and see if I agree.

Archived