• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

They could lower them by 0.5%. Carney has been waiting for a good excuse to justify such a move...

Oh indeed - re: the excuse....and if he does drop to true zip that would be Carney all over.

However, I don't think he has the evidence to do so in any way at the moment to justify it. Sterling's immediate drop after the vote wasn't *that* bad.....it'd had been wavering between 1.40-1.49 anyway, and dropped to 1.36. The markets - well they are the markets. They love volatility.

It was his immediate words that caused the pound to plunge further....'robust defence of the economy', QE etc.

At this point though the markets are looking very tidy indeed. Sterling is as 1.30 already. I know that they are pricing in the rate cut....but it is such an unhealthy signal to send it has a large chance of backfiring when people ask...'where's the data to back this move up?' It's too soon to make any sort of bold move.

Next month ... who knows? He'll twist anything to get to NIRP.

Anyway as always I'll be proved wrong!

HOLA447

However, I don't think he has the evidence to do so in any way at the moment to justify it. Sterling's immediate drop after the vote wasn't *that* bad.....it'd had been wavering between 1.40-1.49 anyway, and dropped to 1.36. The markets - well they are the markets. They love volatility.

Indeed.

Lots of talk about how the £ is down from $1.50 before the vote result. That rate was just in the last hours when Remain was looking like it had won. It's spent most of this year around $1.40. The US increase in interest rates at the end of last year had a bigger impact on the exchange rate than Brexit has.

HOLA448
HOLA449

With inflation so low (excluding house prices!!!), there's arguably scope for a cut to 0%. The bank should be targeting inflation at 2% and lower IRs will help that.

inflations is not low.

Do not forget that CPI

-does not include housing costs which is the main cost for most households

-it is an average inflation. During 2003-20013 ONS showed that CPI for low incomes was almost 150% more than the average CPI

-Essentials inflation is much higher than the CPI. When CPI reached 5% , essentials inflation index calculted that essentials inflation was near 8%..

HOLA4410

inflations is not low.

Do not forget that CPI

-does not include housing costs which is the main cost for most households

-it is an average inflation. During 2003-20013 ONS showed that CPI for low incomes was almost 150% more than the average CPI

-Essentials inflation is much higher than the CPI. When CPI reached 5% , essentials inflation index calculted that essentials inflation was near 8%..

The two are connected in a way. Yes, cost of a roof over our head has gone up with rents/mortgages/utilities rising faster than wages for many years.

And that has driven down grocery costs (34 months in a row FALLING cost of groceries).

Zero sum game when we have a painfully finite number of pounds in our paypacket.

HOLA4411

Dominic Frisby has a good article on Moneyweek where he mentions Carney. He says that Carney strikes him as someone who wants to be proved right - I agree here - about his doom & gloom predictions for the UK if we BREXIT.

So perhaps, arguably, he is bringing about the crisis conditions that he warned of.

If they lower by 0.25% the BBC will be full of how dire the UK economy is because the BOE HAD to reduce rates, blah, blah, blah and, in the same breadth, they would be ramping house prices.

Edit:

So I think they will go ahead and cut because, well, he is a one trick pony IMPO.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I'm an expat who voted Brexit, even with the threat of deportation, excommunication and whatever else was fearfully projected.

Around referendum time, I moved from Cyprus to Poland for a change of scenery. The pound would have to more than halve in value my cost of living to be anything like as expensive as in the UK.

As it happens, it has dropped to 5.2 zloty to the £ from 5.5, but now creeping back.

I went shopping yesterday. Pack of butter 2 zl. Tomatoes 3.75 a kilo. Loaf of bread 2.7 slot. And so on.

HOLA4416
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
  • 2 months later...
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422