House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
200p

2 Nimby Dogs March Against Plans For 1,400 Homes.

I hate the use of children in these kind of things. Whatever your views, don't force them on your child who knows no better. She may as well cross out the word 'houses' and replace it with 'future'.

Yes, nauseating. Especially as she, of all the people marching, probably has the most to lose from a dearth of houses. It would make much more sense for those dogs to be wearing a 'No more houses' banner.

I have lived in a couple of affluent Cambridgeshire villages over the years and had and seen my fair share of Nimbies against wind farms, solar farms and most importantly to me new housing. They are always the same type of person, generally quite right wing and having little time for people on the bottom of the food chain, and whether by luck or crook they have a comfortable lifestyle, many times though it is an inherited lifestyle

Now here is the big deal with these c***s, they do not want their cosy dreamy little lives ruined by the type that need affordable housing, any housing at all in fact. But I can bet you a few quid in that little bunch of protesters their is a fair share of them who have BTL portfolios in the big cities/towns close by, if memory serves it will be Basingstoke.

I agree totally.

I used to work with a 'business analyst' in my previous media company. She moved to a village in the shires to an old vicarage house as she couldn't stand having a property with a number attached to it. She moved there with her w**ker ginger kids and retired army officer husband.

My company paid out through the nose on her, even though anyone remotely technical knew what absolute garbage she used to drivell. She insisted on flying first class to our long haul print sites and having the latest mac book air due to having a back problem. She was so nauseating that she even changed her name to a type of confectionery as her real name was too 'ghastly', imagine trying explaining that to clients when referring to her. She used to bang on constantly about her village protesting against this and that, especially when plans for a lower class supermarket was on the cards nearby.

I would so dearly love for affordable housing and also refugee centres to be set up around the shires. It would be a great way to shake up all the communities around in these parts from their perches. Greater London is now running out of space and these Nimbys have to start realising that the UK demographic is changing and deal with it.

She was so nauseating that she even changed her name to a type of confectionery as her real name was too 'ghastly', imagine trying explaining that to clients when referring to her.

Was it Fudge?

The happy fact remains that these houses will now probably be built, is that not true?

Seems to say its going ahead in the link :thumb:

Nimbys need to grasp the fact that the planning inspectorate will go with current government policy, not the concerns of the lucky few about their property 'values'. Hysterical blanket opposition instead of grown-up negotiation with developers who are going to win is self defeating. They should be concentrating on screwing every possible concession out of the developers in return for cooperation in the planning process.

Maybe the dogs on the march would like the developers to provide green communal areas with lots of trees that their owners will actually take them walking on instead of agricultural land with its inconvenient tractor ruts and scary livestock. Or maybe the developers would be more inclined toward lower density better quality housing if they didn't have to spend such a large chunk of their profits on planning and all the other costs that come with it.

Another point is that a lot of these affluent quite often BTL landlords Nimbies is that they have all used Polish cleaners, had Polish builders building that extension or back of the garden luxury swiss cottage style office/playroom, or have successful businesses where they employ conscientious hard working Poles and all of these people are more than happy to have got them on the cheap.

But what they do not want is them housed anywhere near where they live or even housed at all in some cases. It really is a case of have your cake and eating it.

Yup. We'll take your services and taxes but don't think of living anywhere near us. We're all middle class, boomer NIMBYS.

Utter scum. They know there is a housing shortage.

They might as well be carrying signs saying "fvck off we're full" and bellowing it into that little girls face. Collectively that's what they're doing to that girls generation.

I wonder if those NIMBYS ever bothered asking their parents if they protested over building their own homes they currently enjoy.

How did this one generation become so short sighted and greedy?

How did this one generation become so short sighted and greedy?

My guess is that because they've personally never experienced much in the way of economic hardship, they have no frame of reference with which to empathise with people who are experiencing it now. It's healthy to get knocked back a bit sometimes, keeps you grounded in reality.

They always push children to the front.

I wonder what they told that little girl holding the "no more houses" banner, when they got up in the morning?

"We are going to march today, so you cannot find anywhere to live around here when you grow up. When we get older and need help, you will have to travel a lot further to help us"

Yup. We'll take your services and taxes but don't think of living anywhere near us. We're all middle class, boomer NIMBYS.

Exactly this.

What gets me is the rank hypocrisy. They'll lobby and agitate to extract subsidised services for their own benefit but won't accept any changes that will make these services and their communities sustainable.

e.g Cameron's recent promise of a "universal broadband standard" for rural areas: http://m.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/09/uk_government_broadband_universal_service_obligation_pledge/)

I wonder what they told that little girl holding the "no more houses" banner, when they got up in the morning?

"We are going to march today, so you cannot find anywhere to live around here when you grow up. When we get older and need help, you will have to travel a lot further to help us"

They probably have a few buy-to-lets they will gift to their children. Seems to be the middle-classes preferred solution to the problem of unaffordable housing for their children.

They are right to a degree, the countryside would be nicer without more houses.

But as a nation we also encourage higher population levels year on year.

Since you can't not house people they should really be protesting for better management of migration and disincentives on having larger families. In the mean time we need a lot more countryside turning into houses.

My guess is that because they've personally never experienced much in the way of economic hardship, they have no frame of reference with which to empathise with people who are experiencing it now. It's healthy to get knocked back a bit sometimes, keeps you grounded in reality.

Hmm, true. I feel like there's something more though.

There was a series on tv recently called time crashers. Bunch of boomers and minor tv celebs live the life of times past. The upstairs downstairs lifestyle of the Georgians made a few of them wake up to inequality. I suppose you can't really relate till youve experienced as you say.

Doesn't stop them from picking up a book though. Amazing that it was this easy to socially engineer an entire generation into playing the useful idiots and enslaving their own children.

The great thing about boomers is that they think they acquired it all through hard work.

Anyway, back on topic... The problem with a lot of developments is that associated local infrastructure doesn't get upgraded at the same time, meaning that the new houses do lead to a noticeable decline in local quality of life.

Rather than protesting against against the houses what they should be saying is 'build the new houses, and whilst you're at it upgrade the roads, junctions and roundabouts, build us a new school, and put us a park in with some astroturf playing pitches and floodlights. Ta.'

The great thing about boomers is that they think they acquired it all through hard work.

Anyway, back on topic... The problem with a lot of developments is that associated local infrastructure doesn't get upgraded at the same time, meaning that the new houses do lead to a noticeable decline in local quality of life.

Rather than protesting against against the houses what they should be saying is 'build the new houses, and whilst you're at it upgrade the roads, junctions and roundabouts, build us a new school, and put us a park in with some astroturf playing pitches and floodlights. Ta.'

Wouldn't happen. The people who live in these places want ZERO change, not lots of change. They like the way things are right now. Edited by sPinwheel

Wouldn't happen. The people who live in these places want ZERO change, not lots of change. They like the way things are right now.

Exactly. One of their campaign points is that there isn't enough roads, schools etc so that avenue of thought would already have been explored and logically the answer is to build more.

As this point is never raised by the NIMBYS we know that they don't want infrastructure or houses.

They just want their HPI or BTL and anything or anybody else can just sod off.

They just want their HPI or BTL and anything or anybody else can just sod off.

Well, they just want to keep their nice rural neighbourhood a nice rural neighbourhood.

I can sympathise with that.. I doubt many of the people waving banners either support or asked for a population expansion. Change is being forced upon them by the society around them.

Unfortunately society doesn't have a choice but to inflict this on communities because we have to house additional people somewhere.