House Price Crash Forum

Christmas Chatter

TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA441

I won't lie, I was dreading Christmas chatter this year, again.

What a pleasant surprise I had though, no one mentioned houses.

Instead, there was a lot of chatter of people loosing their jobs and moving back in with parents!!!

I'm not talking 21 year old, in talking 40 year olds with children.

The high flyers I'd heard so much about, mostly related to oil jobs, now not so much flying as sitting, doing #### all.

Several banker jobs seem to be going too but this still to filter through.

When the inevitable stock market crash comes it's going to be hard times for the ever so irritating London middle class that are forever telling me how well they are doing.

2016 is going to be an interesting year for many.

Happy new year.

HOLA442

Instead, there was a lot of chatter of people loosing their jobs and moving back in with parents!!!

The high flyers I'd heard so much about, mostly related to oil jobs, now not so much flying as sitting, doing #### all.

When the inevitable stock market crash comes it's going to be hard times for the ever so irritating London middle class that are forever telling me how well they are doing.

Happy new year.

This is strangely cheering news. I think I am becoming more and more curmudgeonly. Ho, ho, ho....

HOLA443

Happy new year.

Where did you go the homeless shelter

HOLA444

If they are 40 something oil people they should know by now that it's a very much a boom and bust industry and prepare accordingly. I knew people working in it during the last big crash in oil price in the 90s. Some companies got rid of 9/10 of the staff in some functions near overnight. Six months earlier, staff had been racking up months of untaken leave because they were too busy.

HOLA445
HOLA446

If they are 40 something oil people they should know by now that it's a very much a boom and bust industry and prepare accordingly. I knew people working in it during the last big crash in oil price in the 90s. Some companies got rid of 9/10 of the staff in some functions near overnight. Six months earlier, staff had been racking up months of untaken leave because they were too busy.

I see you don't know many people working in the oil industry ...

HOLA447

Happy new year.

Retail finance still going through massive restructuring. Well, no they can no longer scam PPI, how else will they make money?

Investment/commercial banking is also struggling.

Oils fcked.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Happy new year.

Ahh Joyous news comrade a race to the bottom whilst the elite surf the wave of ever increasingly inequality. The party would be proud of you. Well done on your next campaign to cut your parents pension in half. What about that spare room surely you could fit a few Syrian refugees in there and pay for all their food ?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Oils fcked.

We have had a set of family cars for over 15 years and whilst I like a 'Sunday special' car all the others I see as something that has to be a little stylish, and between them cover a range of needs. City car for London, Long distance cruiser, load carrier, car for kids and something I can kid myself is sporty whilst still returning good MPG.

Current crop VW UP, Audi Q3 and Alfa Guiletta. The worst MPG is the Q3 at about 42, Alfa mid 40's and the up no computer but I suspect high 50's. This average is probably twice as good as the crop 6 years ago and just about to get an i3 which is 100mpg + and swop the Audi out because the Alfa is plenty big enough for most loads (and have vans at work I can take home anyway)

This is probably a microcosm of car use so I would suspect oil as used in road fuels demand is drastically reducing at least in Europe.

The Saudi Oil minister ten years ago disagreed with the concept of flooding the market with cheap oil and instead believed OPEC should be doing everything they can to hold price at $80 or more a barrel to eke out revenues. His belief was that in thirty years there will plenty of oil but no demand and his quote was " The Stone Age didn't end through lack of stones"

Edited by Greg Bowman

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Was thinking the same..

Don't get me wrong, I want a housepricecrash as much as the next man on here, but I am still going to suffer empathy and sadness problems with the innocents that will be caught up in all this, the in love young couple just want to be together for example.

The BTL's can go and rot though, the media is going to have to really dig deep to get me to feel sorry for just one of them no matter how bad they suffer, they have it coming.

My approach is that if people don`t want to engage with the idea that it is a credit driven, government propped (for the banks) bubble, then my sympathy level goes down. There has been a golden opportunity in recent years to pay down mortgage debt anyway so anyone finding themselves in trouble now only has THEMSELVES to blame, sympathy won`t help much. But to add, I stopped talking to people about house prices years ago, it is definitely a "third rail topic" with most people since things went a bit Pear shaped.

HOLA4418

I think I said it was a pleasant surprise that there was no forever house price increases chatter.

I'm reality, there's little pleasure in any of it.

Your just trolling now.

Seems to me he's been doing that nearly 2 years

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Seems to me he's been doing that nearly 2 years

I've said before that I don't mind RK, but that was trolling. Maybe he innocently misunderstood me but come on that was, Un called for.

No one with children would celebrate people loosing it all Like that, unless we are taking estate agents. :lol:

seriously RK, get a grip.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4422

We have had a set of family cars for over 15 years and whilst I like a 'Sunday special' car all the others I see as something that has to be a little stylish, and between them cover a range of needs. City car for London, Long distance cruiser, load carrier, car for kids and something I can kid myself is sporty whilst still returning good MPG.

Current crop VW UP, Audi Q3 and Alfa Guiletta. The worst MPG is the Q3 at about 42, Alfa mid 40's and the up no computer but I suspect high 50's. This average is probably twice as good as the crop 6 years ago and just about to get an i3 which is 100mpg + and swop the Audi out because the Alfa is plenty big enough for most loads (and have vans at work I can take home anyway)

This is probably a microcosm of car use so I would suspect oil as used in road fuels demand is drastically reducing at least in Europe.

The Saudi Oil minister ten years ago disagreed with the concept of flooding the market with cheap oil and instead believed OPEC should be doing everything they can to hold price at $80 or more a barrel to eke out revenues. His belief was that in thirty years there will plenty of oil but no demand and his quote was " The Stone Age didn't end through lack of stones"

Nice quote but oil is such a condensed form of energy and used in so many aspects of modern life, I can't see what will replace it! There was always something better than stones! What is better (i.e. more useful) than oil?

I think we all read that wrong so apologies

I thought the count's point of view was pretty obvious (come on, we are on HPC, for f'sake). There will have to be at least a little hardship at the end of this madness! Although, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

You gotta troll with it.

:lol:

HOLA4423

Nice quote but oil is such a condensed form of energy and used in so many aspects of modern life, I can't see what will replace it! There was always something better than stones! What is better (i.e. more useful) than oil?

I think it's very likely that the average stone age person couldn't see what would replace stones. And I doubt those in the pre-oil age ever anticipated the impact it would have on the world.

The remarkable changes in lighting tech (especially portable) over the last 30 years still astonishes.

Personally, I'd like to imagine it'll be greener than oil, but who knows. If PV efficiency together with battery tech could be improved considerably then it might be a candidate. But it's a fairly big if. Battery tech, in particular, has been holding us back for a while now.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

HOLA4424

Fission power springs to mind. I'm not sure if stone age man ever gave it much thought, hence the whole stone age point is a bit ad absurdum.

I would like to think that our next energy source will be a bit greener too but if you look at the co2 output most green techs require to get started you will see my point that oil will be rather hard to replace! What do you think it takes to get those minerals for the latest batteries out of the ground and refined?