House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmmaRoid

Broken Phone

Merry xmas all, I have dropped the phone I despise (Nexus4) on the floor smashing the screen and wrecking the digitiser. It is no longer responsive to touch.

Is there anything I can do to get at it? Pictures have been and can be backed up via cable to a computer but info and messages are something else.

I think i may have previously enabled USB debugging whilst trying to resolve an issue but can't remember if I left it enabled.

I am not a techie which is why this phone pisses me off so much.

There is this bit of software which you install on a WIN or MAC PC and allows you see what messages and then copy them over.

However, the free version only allows you to see stuff - you have to pay for the version that allows you to copy stuff over. Last time I looked it was quite pricely (It is online under numerous - far too numerous - names and websites.).

I also found the free version to be incredibly flaky - so much so that I would have to be desperate to take a chance on paying for it.

Perhaps try the free version and see if it accesses the info you want and then decide whether to pay for it or not.

http://www.mobikin.com/android-backup/transfer-text-messages-from-android-to-computer.html

Put it in a Jihadi themed case and send it to GCHQ. :blink:

Well this is a right cluster******.

The only spare phone I can find at home is still a normal SIM whilst I have a micro SIM and presumably the next phone I get will be a nano SIM which makes even restarting some service a ball ache over Xmas.

As for the Nexus, it was shit when it was a live and shit when its dead. IT will probably need a big amount of housekeeping to even think about trying to root. And installing something called "adb" requires me to mess about with Java Dev Kit and I've no idea what I'm doing. As I use a Mac I'm not even sure I can do get the 32bit kit the web pages say I need.

If you were saving you address book to the Google account (not sure if that is default) you should be ok.

I like the Nexus line especially the Nexus 5 (sorry that's not much help to you)

Nope. Looks like I re-enabled the lock on debugging so I've no chance of getting in. My only solution is a mechanical one - replace the screen.

Just tried a to buy a Samsung S6 on O2 and it won't let me do that either.

What sort of messenging app are you using? If hangouts, maybe the message's are there.

I suggest logging on to Google on your Mac with the account you are using for you phone, and seeing what you've got (an obvious suggestion, so sorry if you have already tried that)

What sort of messenging app are you using? If hangouts, maybe the message's are there.

I suggest logging on to Google on your Mac with the account you are using for you phone, and seeing what you've got (an obvious suggestion, so sorry if you have already tried that)

I've just been using old fashioned SMS to make arrangements.

Ah,OK. No suggestions then. It's a bit surprising Google don't record and make accessible every single text you send, and make it accessible via their dashboard. Looks like they only do the record bit.

If you were saving you address book to the Google account (not sure if that is default) you should be ok.

I like the Nexus line especially the Nexus 5 (sorry that's not much help to you)

I love the Nexus 6p

I love the Nexus 6p

I would have got one if it was on Three. Bought a moto x play budget option instead. Three for some reason have a pretty poor selection unless you want Samsung or apple. Wonder if they're going for the 80/20 Approach and//or saving money buying up o2.