House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trampa501

Strange Career Choices.

Why do some people become football referees? All that abuse for little reward.

Still can't understand how people become priests or vicars. Maybe they are given a message?

Still can't understand how people become priests or vicars. Maybe they are given a message?

Football referees: their only skill is running backwards.

Priests and vicars: are after power over a gullible congregation. That era, happily, is on the wane.

Not sure why but I've known quite a few people who were football referees over the years and they certainly seem to often be a type and you're not surprised when they tell you they are.

They tend to fall into two camps either the bit in your face bossy type or they're the mild-mannered, strait-laced, by the book and stuck in a fifties time warp type of character.

The worst "good" job I can think of is a dentist.

Don't care how well it pays, it just seems like the most soul-crushingly dull thing ever.

Don't care how well it pays, it just seems like the most soul-crushingly dull thing ever.

I think a dentist would be a great job to have......split between a potter and a carpenter. ;)

Do a Google image search of the words "Dental nurse" and think again......

Football referees, I know one, generally realise that whilst they won't make it as pro footballers they can still be on the pitch and part of the game by being a referee / lino. I didn't fancy it myself but understand the motivation.

Priests and vicars have a vocation. Simple as.

High suicide rates among dentists. Take very clever people and then put them in a dull, monotonous profession where leaving to do something else would be seen as a huge failure due to career stability and high earning potential, add easy access to injectable anaesthetics and voila.

High suicide rates among dentists. Take very clever people and then put them in a dull, monotonous profession where leaving to do something else would be seen as a huge failure due to career stability and high earning potential, add easy access to injectable anaesthetics and voila.

You could say that about a lot of high profile professions........suicide come in all forms and guises......it is not the profession it is the person and how they think.

Its a good gig. Well paid job, free Oxbridge qualification, employed for life with luxury accommodation to go with it, all in exchange for not very much work at all.

Hell, I'd be a vicar if I thought for one moment that I could pass as some kind of christian.

Its a good gig. Well paid job, free Oxbridge qualification, employed for life with luxury accommodation to go with it, all in exchange for not very much work at all.

Hell, I'd be a vicar if I thought for one moment that I could pass as some kind of christian.

Not much work at all? You are absolutely joking. In my experience Priests pretty much work 24/7 50 weeks per year.

Not much work at all? You are absolutely joking. In my experience Priests pretty much work 24/7 50 weeks per year.

Indeed. We had one in the family by marriage and his phone never, ever stopped ringing. There's a lot of bored and lonely people out there.

Indeed. We had one in the family by marriage and his phone never, ever stopped ringing. There's a lot of bored and lonely people out there.

Yeah, but these days they've got HPC instead...

Aren't referees ex-players?

As for priests and vicars, that was always traditionally the access to choirboys.

HR is an interesting one, if you're prepared to be a 100% full time unapologetic corporate whore the career path can be very, very steep. You can find yourself in a position of serious power on very little discernible talent other than being very good at agreeing wholeheartedly with whatever the most senior person in the room says.

Every so often, someone leaves school determined to spend the rest of their life designing sanitaryware.

A noble mix of fluid mechanics and pottery. :huh:

Every so often, someone leaves school determined to spend the rest of their life designing sanitaryware.

Are you talking about the nominative determinism of Mr Crapper?

HR is an interesting one, if you're prepared to be a 100% full time unapologetic corporate whore the career path can be very, very steep. You can find yourself in a position of serious power on very little discernible talent other than being very good at agreeing wholeheartedly with whatever the most senior person in the room says.

That's some of them, then there are the ones who twig it as a soft option once you get beyond the admin level and sit happily dossing at the middle management, the base admin / form-filling level however can be hard repetitive like any admin job.

Half my wife's male relatives seem to be dentists. Terrible life - raking in $250-$350K a year for a largely 9-5 job, semi retire at 50 ;)

I started work life aged 22 as an environmental health officer as I decided as an 18 year old I could face a job stuck in an office all day.

Age 43 I'm stuck in an office all day in an HR dept because my rather large oil company employer decided Health is an HR not an HSE function :rolleyes: