House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

reddog

Peak Christmas Light's?

In the area my family live (Birmingham) Christmas lights on houses have reduced over the last few years. I would say the peak was Christmas 2007. (Although maybe I am just imagining it was then, to tie it to the financial crisis)

What are you finding in your area?

I commented at a family gathering the other day that there weren't as many houses in our town now who had christmas lights outside.

We have a christmas lights committee in the town who fund raise for lights for the high street. Blackpool it ain't but the high street christmas lights are an improvement compared to when they started a few years back.

In the area my family live (Birmingham) Christmas lights on houses have reduced over the last few years. I would say the peak was Christmas 2007. (Although maybe I am just imagining it was then, to tie it to the financial crisis)

What are you finding in your area?

Seeing more lights than ever, everywhere. Guess it is because of cheap battery operated LEDs.

I like tasteful lights, particulaly blue-white LEDs wound on the trees. It's nice when everyone puts them on the trees outside. Its been very dark and miserable recently.

Big santas and crap like that, you can keep those.

...I would say the peak was Christmas 2007. (Although maybe I am just imagining it was then, to tie it to the financial crisis)

I would agree it peaked around 2007.

Council cut backs - no lights in the high street, and a single rather forlorn-looking Christmas tree on the town green. In previous years many local shops would paint Christmassy scenes in their windows, locally this hasn't occured this year. (The fact that a lot of long-established shops have closed in the last couple of years to be replaced by yet another take-away/fried chicken shop probably doesn't help).

Far fewer houses with Christmas decorations up, and those that do have them up are far more muted than before. Haven't seen any ridiculously over-the-top displays (yet, I'm sure there must be some I've missed).

No public lights......a few OTT light covered houses......always the same culprits every year, adding to them every year. ;)

Indeed it is. The woman across the road has lights projecting onto other houses. It's like a Jean Michel Jarre concert and extremely annoying.

Ditto fireworks. Back in the mid 2000s there would be a big firework display going pretty much every dry night in July and August.

Now they're constrained to major events and the odd random day (birthdays or weddings presumably).

More than ever, here. The council have even reinstated a Christmas tree and lights they removed a few years ago.

Well you do live in Cromwell country! :unsure:

Cromwell loved Christmas!

Not for a few years! Such frivolity was frowned upon! :unsure:

They've no class.

Showing off with their enormous TVs, gaudy xmas lights, going to wine bars, talking about celebrities, giving each other Pandora bracelets, eating nuts.

What a bunch of *****.