House Price Crash Forum

anonguest

HOLA441

Another day and another headline relating to housing unaffordability

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35154420

Seeing this piece coincides with a chat with an anglo-american friend who wagers that the UK is getting perilously close to reluctantly allowing the introduction of U.S style trailer home living as the authorities, unable to bring themselves to actually legitimately lower the cost of housing (i.e. via free market forces and not via gimmicks such as HTB, etc).

I guess the closest we have to U.s style trailer parks are 'park' homes (often with residency restrictions). It is quite sobering to mentally image trailer homes sprouting up en masse in the UK.

Anyone want to bet against it happening?

Edited by anonguest

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Another day and another headline relating to housing unaffordability

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35154420

Seeing this piece coincides with a chat with an anglo-american friend who wagers that the UK is getting perilously close to reluctantly allowing the introduction of U.S style trailer home living as the authorities, unable to bring themselves to actually legitimately lower the cost of housing (i.e. via free market forces and not via gimmicks such as HTB, etc).

I guess the closest we have to U.s style trailer parks are 'park' homes (often with residency restrictions). It is quite sobering to mentally image trailer homes sprouting up en masse in the UK.

Anyone want to bet against it happening?

There are plenty trailer park type homes about....the trouble is people are trying to sell them for a fortune :lol:

HOLA443

My neighbour has one and there are others hidden away, He runs a smallholding and although you are allowed to house seasonal workers in caravans, they are there all year round (average ~10 occupants).

One local just builds what he likes and ignores planning enforcement notices. He now has caravans rented out to Eastern Europeans.

I've just checked (http://cti.voa.gov.uk/cti/inits.asp) and none are registered for council tax.

HOLA444

My neighbour has one and there are others hidden away, He runs a smallholding and although you are allowed to house seasonal workers in caravans, they are there all year round (average ~10 occupants).

One local just builds what he likes and ignores planning enforcement notices. He now has caravans rented out to Eastern Europeans.

I've just checked (http://cti.voa.gov.uk/cti/inits.asp) and none are registered for council tax.

OK. But this still supports the assertion that this style of habitation is still very often done covertly/illegally. I am raising the issue of the situation arising wherein it this type of housing will become officially sanctioned, and for all year round living, and common place for 'ordinary' working classes and not just migrant workers, etc.

At present park homes, and the like, are of insignificant numbers and, as said, often with restrictions attached to inhibit their use as ordinary full time dwellings. Whereas, in the U.S the percentages are much higher.

HOLA445

Here in the uk you can easily spend 100k on a trailer whereby you still have to pay ground rent and you are told to get a new one when it looks shabby. Like so much of the ******** here they are called "lodges". They give the parks nice names too.

The UK is the country of ********. A trailer park is a lodge in a meadow just as an ex council flat is a contemporary urban living space. They already speculate wildly on them and rip off folk with them I am sure there are threads about it here.

****** this place

HOLA446

Someone near us has cut half a zillion trees down and now we can see the mini-house in their garden.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Prefabs by another name?

AFAIK, mostly from films, TV series and documentaries, the trailers on trailer parks in the US are much more like the mobile homes on holiday parks and less like "park homes".

There are already some holiday parks where people live 12 months a year under the radar, with the connivance of the parks' managers, although there are supposed to be restrictions. Some parks have tried to get permission to be open 12 months a year. Such is the problem in North Wales that one AM has brought forward a bill including provisions to prevent permanent occupation.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

AFAIK, mostly from films, TV series and documentaries, the trailers on trailer parks in the US are much more like the mobile homes on holiday parks and less like "park homes".

There are already some holiday parks where people live 12 months a year under the radar, with the connivance of the parks' managers, although there are supposed to be restrictions. Some parks have tried to get permission to be open 12 months a year. Such is the problem in North Wales that one AM has brought forward a bill including provisions to prevent permanent occupation.

So modern prefabs ;) with foam insulated plastic coated aluminium panels instead of precast etc?

They'll still have to find somewhere to put the new ones. Most of the old prefab zones have already been built on with tiny new houses.

So UK housing is going to get even tinier.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4413

I think a trailer, a good quality trailer, would be a great solution for me.

I depend too much on contracting jobs, which although they pay well, they have little security. In effect I have to move around evry one or two years. The rent's and agent fees are taking a 1/3 or more of my income and I really want to save.

What I was wandering is, is it legal to live in a motor home all year round?

If so it would pay itself off in a year, and when I eventually save up enough, the motor home would still have some residual value.

HOLA4414

So modern prefabs ;) with foam insulated plastic coated aluminium panels instead of precast etc?

They'll still have to find somewhere to put the new ones. Most of the old prefab zones have already been built on with tiny new houses.

So UK housing is going to get even tinier.

More like static caravans. Have a look at e.g. the ones Haven parks have, as at Burnham on Sea http://www.haven.com/parks/somerset/burnham-on-sea/accommodation/standard.aspx

Edit: can't flaming spell

Edited by Snugglybear

HOLA4415

I would very happily live in a mobile home/park home/wooden lodge if it wasn't for the fact that they're barely any cheaper than a conventional house, have little security of long term tenure, have ridiculous site rules and outrageous site fees. Other than that one would be perfect for me.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I would very happily live in a mobile home/park home/wooden lodge if it wasn't for the fact that they're barely any cheaper than a conventional house, have little security of long term tenure, have ridiculous site rules and outrageous site fees. Other than that one would be perfect for me.

Almost as if the laws/rules etc are designed to push people towards buying a traditional home built by traditional builders?

HOLA4419

Almost as if the laws/rules etc are designed to push people towards buying a traditional home built by traditional builders?

who'd have guessed ? :D

We need Hexayurts with a lean to green house all round, on council /agri. land with pepper corn rent

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hexayurts&num=100&safe=off&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiBgbG6hPDJAhXCzxQKHctrC4kQ_AUIBygB&biw=1229&bih=584

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA4420

To tell the truth I have thought about living in a "Trailer" considering I have the money to buy one outright which would allow me to start building up some serious savings. The trouble is we live in a very snobby society when it comes to housing and I'm not sure how people would take it. One scenario that keeps running in my mind is trying to pull a bird. I mean how would they react if i took them back to what is basically a caravan? I imagine people may start to label me a "Gypo" and such too. You may think that people may not be as shunning and mocking as I may think, but you'd be surprised how people react when you fall outside of the norm. One example that was a lesson to me is back in my early 20's I decided to get a wild hairstyle, just a spur of the moment "f*ck it" type of thing. I got Liberty Spikes and died them bright red. I lost half of my friends over night and would get abuse from random strangers out in public, everything from sly comments to people actually squaring up wanting a fight. It was a real eye opener as to how people really are.

HOLA4421

To tell the truth I have thought about living in a "Trailer" considering I have the money to buy one outright which would allow me to start building up some serious savings. The trouble is we live in a very snobby society when it comes to housing and I'm not sure how people would take it. One scenario that keeps running in my mind is trying to pull a bird.

I mean how would they react if i took them back to what is basically a caravan? I imagine people may start to label me a "Gypo" and such too. You may think that people may not be as shunning and mocking as I may think, but you'd be surprised how people react when you fall outside of the norm.

One example that was a lesson to me is back in my early 20's I decided to get a wild hairstyle, just a spur of the moment "f*ck it" type of thing. I got Liberty Spikes and died them bright red.

I lost half of my friends over night and would get abuse from random strangers out in public, everything from sly comments to people actually squaring up wanting a fight. It was a real eye opener as to how people really are.

They weren't really your friends

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

To tell the truth I have thought about living in a "Trailer" considering I have the money to buy one outright which would allow me to start building up some serious savings. The trouble is we live in a very snobby society when it comes to housing and I'm not sure how people would take it. One scenario that keeps running in my mind is trying to pull a bird. I mean how would they react if i took them back to what is basically a caravan? I imagine people may start to label me a "Gypo" and such too. You may think that people may not be as shunning and mocking as I may think, but you'd be surprised how people react when you fall outside of the norm. One example that was a lesson to me is back in my early 20's I decided to get a wild hairstyle, just a spur of the moment "f*ck it" type of thing. I got Liberty Spikes and died them bright red. I lost half of my friends over night and would get abuse from random strangers out in public, everything from sly comments to people actually squaring up wanting a fight. It was a real eye opener as to how people really are.

Your right, you'll never pull a burd in a caravan, no matter how big and expensive it is. However, if you lived in even a small run down boat, there'd be a hefty subsection of the female population who'd be up for a bitta that I reckon.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Your right, you'll never pull a burd in a caravan, no matter how big and expensive it is. However, if you lived in even a small run down boat, there'd be a hefty subsection of the female population who'd be up for a bitta that I reckon.

On the other hand - years ago I pulled a burd in Edinburgh who took me back to her caravan. Never even realised they existed around here. Was somewhere on south side of town towards bilston area i think.

Saw it recently when driving past and realised I had been before.

Anyway.....