House Price Crash Forum

Space X Launch Live Just Now!

HOLA441

LIVE STREAM:

This mission marks SpaceX’s first attempt to land a first stage on land.

4 minutes to landing ...

Historic stuff. Really exciting! shame I'm the only one watching it.

EDIT: They did it!

Just 14.5 minutes in and they are deploying satellites -- all on live video.

SpaceX is a truly amazing venture.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/08/how-and-why-spacex-will-colonize-mars.html

HOLA442

It's very impressive. SpaceX appear to be making all the right decisions regarding re-useability, cost-reduction, simplification and use of off-the-shelf components. I guess they're benefitting from 60 years of Aerospace trial-and-error paid for mainly by US tax payers, but even so it's inspiring how quickly they are progressing. I wonder whether they're recruiting programmers?

HOLA443

It's very impressive. SpaceX appear to be making all the right decisions regarding re-useability, cost-reduction, simplification and use of off-the-shelf components. I guess they're benefitting from 60 years of Aerospace trial-and-error paid for mainly by US tax payers, but even so it's inspiring how quickly they are progressing. I wonder whether they're recruiting programmers?

Elon musk is frighteningly high functioning. I recall he studied two full degrees at an ivy league university, engineering and economics, CONCURRENTLY, although I also understand he split out the final years of each of them. Regularly pulls 100 hour weeks in the office. Etc. I modern day Brunel.

HOLA444

Elon musk is frighteningly high functioning. I recall he studied two full degrees at an ivy league university, engineering and economics, CONCURRENTLY, although I also understand he split out the final years of each of them. Regularly pulls 100 hour weeks in the office. Etc. I modern day Brunel.

And married the head girl at St Trinians (Twice according to Wikipedia).

330px-TalulahRileyAug09.jpg

post-11769-0-56303100-1450770068_thumb.j

HOLA445

Just listen to that crowd shouting at the top of their voices - they realise what an historic moment this is:

Congratulations to everyone at Space X - their goal (reducing the price of space launches) might sound mundane, but today they might just have secured a future where my son can go on holiday into space.

HOLA446

Just listen to that crowd shouting at the top of their voices - they realise what an historic moment this is:

Congratulations to everyone at Space X - their goal (reducing the price of space launches) might sound mundane, but today they might just have secured a future where my son can go on holiday into space.

Indeed, rockets have finally grown-up and it was a private company, not NASA, that achieved it. Quite staggering really.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

How quickly can the rocket be reused? Have they managed to solve the rebuilding issue that the shuttle suffered from?

That, of course, is going to be the next big question.

You're right that the Shuttle was "reusable", but refurbishing it between flights simply cost too much.

However, Space X have a pretty good track record of delivering on their promises [1], and their "reusability" goals are a lot less ambitious than the Space Shuttle: Space X just want to reuse the first stage, the Shuttle was going to reuse everything.

Another big difference is the technology available: the Shuttle had 2 pilots, simply because at the time that was the only way to do it. 40 years later, and Space X can do away with the squishy bits and their heavy life support systems, and instead land the rocket with a computer. Which helps a lot when they're trying to save weight.

[1] except when it comes to meeting their launch dates... they're always late!

• 3 months later...
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

And now on a ship at sea.

http://www.spacex.com/webcast

Landing about 27 minutes into video.

Watching the way that rocket decelerates really hard in the last few seconds - what they call a "suicide burn" - I kept thinking "not going to make it... not going to make it".

Now we wait to see if they're going to fly it again :) Now that will be a big event.

HOLA4414

After the last landing, the rocket seemed to tip over because the barge was rolling. If it had been on land it might have landed safely. Presumably the reason they used a barge was because landing on land may have been considered potentially dangerous for anyone nearby.

All in all a remarkable achievement.

Now all they have to do, eventually, is persuade astronauts to go up in secondhand rockets...

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

After the last landing, the rocket seemed to tip over because the barge was rolling. If it had been on land it might have landed safely. Presumably the reason they used a barge was because landing on land may have been considered potentially dangerous for anyone nearby.

All in all a remarkable achievement.

Now all they have to do, eventually, is persuade astronauts to go up in secondhand rockets...

Apparently it is purely due to fuel payload and how far down track the rocket ends up, which is dependent on the type of launch objective. Simply not enough fuel to power the burn back to starting point.

HOLA4417

Loved the name of the droneship Of Course I Still Love You , a nod to Iain M. Banks Culture series :-) ... shurley An Absence of Gravitas would have been more appropriate?

HOLA4418
  • 4 months later...
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Reports spacex vehicle has exploded on the launchpad

Live updates on Reddit are a good source of information

Latest rumor is explosion started groundside during propellant load.

Which is really bad in the short term, because they've lost the rocket, the satellite, and worst of all, the launchpad - so almost no launches for a long time (they have another pad at Vandenberg which is only used for polar launches - a small part of their order book).

The only upside is that an explosion starting in the rocket would have been far worse in terms of reputation (they already lost one rocket last year).

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived