House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

The Dalek That Lives With The British Army

Very good!

Also the first time I've seen inside The Citadel. This is a big fort overlooking the sea right in the prime area of Plymouth and appears to be mostly empty space; I can see why the developers are after it.

Very good!

Also the first time I've seen inside The Citadel. This is a big fort overlooking the sea right in the prime area of Plymouth and appears to be mostly empty space; I can see why the developers are after it.

Not likely to happen, most of it was built in the 1660's so will be listed, plus it's very much home to 29 Cdo Bty Royal Artillery

Not likely to happen, most of it was built in the 1660's so will be listed, plus it's very much home to 29 Cdo Bty Royal Artillery

I can see it happening within the next ten years, there's no reason for them to be in that location rather than, say, next to the Royal Marines at Lympstone and the listing's no issue if all you want to is convert to flats (which they will) as this has happened successfully in similar buiuldings at the Royal WIlliam Dockyard at the other end of the sea front.

On 22/12/2015 at 2:29 PM, Hectors House said:

<cough> The Citadel part of the list being sold off; announced yesterday. </cough>

On 11/8/2016 at 6:05 AM, Frank Hovis said:

<cough> The Citadel part of the list being sold off; announced yesterday. </cough>

Yep, someone will be on the make.  Really surprised Rock Barracks (ex RAF Woodbridge) is going as well

16 hours ago, Hectors House said:

Yep, someone will be on the make.  Really surprised Rock Barracks (ex RAF Woodbridge) is going as well

A mate read in the paper that it's not the MoD's to sell, because a defence ministry only came in in 1720 and anything built prior to that, as this was, belongs to the Crown.

Why I thought they'd flog it is that I've had to deal with maintenance on listed buildings / buildings in conservation areas and the bills are huge. Other than the odd showpiece building for ceremonial purposes it makes much more sense for the military to be in big modern purpose-built and cheaply maintained buildings.

On 11/10/2016 at 6:46 AM, Frank Hovis said:

A mate read in the paper that it's not the MoD's to sell, because a defence ministry only came in in 1720 and anything built prior to that, as this was, belongs to the Crown.

Why I thought they'd flog it is that I've had to deal with maintenance on listed buildings / buildings in conservation areas and the bills are huge. Other than the odd showpiece building for ceremonial purposes it makes much more sense for the military to be in big modern purpose-built and cheaply maintained buildings.

Well, they have to pay the rent (an eye-watering amount) for all of Prescott's Regional Fire Centres that are sitting empty and unused and who are owned by dodgy offshore companies (most probably MP's!).