House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Barlow

Warm December Gives Nervous Uk Retailers The Christmas Shivers

I don't buy it. Everyone ive seen is still wearing coats, scarves. 10 or 12c may be above average, but when its accompanied by a near gale, which seems to have been the default wind speed for most the month and no sun, it isnt exactly what most people feel is 'warm'

I'm still using the same coat from last year and the year before and the year before... I like to wear things out before I replace them. Strange and old fashioned I know.

Well it's only an old fashioned concept if you go back to the pre-boomer era... the boomers are the ultimate in mindless consumers, spending for spending's sake and buying s**t they don't need.

*anecdotal*

chatting to someone who works at Asda, they were fully expecting the car-park to be rammed this time of year, hard to get out of the car-park to leave etc

this year it's half empty no rush, no mad buying.

perhaps people can sense next years recession coming

*anecdotal*

chatting to someone who works at Asda, they were fully expecting the car-park to be rammed this time of year, hard to get out of the car-park to leave etc

I posted this in one of the other threads on this topic. Ever since 2008 there has been a lot of scaremongering with regards to Christmas spending that was never actually reflected in behaviour I.e. shops were absolutely rammed and people were spending like there was no tommorow.

I went out to finish off the Christmas shopping last week and it was a ghost town. It was bizarre. Unless the majority of spending has moved online spending has fallen off a cliff.

Edited by frozen_out

*anecdotal*

More competition, more outlets and internet shopping.....maybe people are looking not to eat as much or waste so much....just saying.

I had to do some gift shopping down near Oxford Street yesterday, as it's unlikely I'll get any time off before the big day. Immense crowds and big queues at the tills. Hard to see how the stores could be raking in any more than they are already. Of course this may be unique to London, and I got the impression many shoppers were middle-aged visitors from Italy, Germany, Spain etc.

I posted this in one of the other threads on this topic. Ever since 2008 there has been a lot of scaremongering with regards to Christmas spending that was never actually reflected in behaviour I.e. shops were absolutely rammed and people were spending like there was no tommorow.

I went out to finish off the Christmas shopping last week and it was a ghost town. It was bizarre. Unless the majority of spending has moved online spending has fallen off a cliff.

I've been shopping in Kingston 3 times in the past week, inc. today, and it's been heaving each time. Could hardly move in John Lewis the other day.

All Saints church in the centre was also packed for the carol service late this afternoon. Nothing to do with the free mulled wine and mince pies afterwards, I'm sure - for once no irony intended.

Any old excuse, have shoppers ever bought a brand new winter coat every year without fail to replace the old ones? I have plenty of coats and don't actually want to replace old favourites just so the shops can have a bumper year.

I've been wandering round Newcastle and the Metrocentre the last couple of days doing my Christmas shopping. I'm not sure I could honestly determine whether it's more or less busy in terms of footfall than previously, but I have noticed that there seem to be fewer reductions than in the last few years. There has tended to be a tradition for mass reductions of particularly "presenty" items by at least mid-December, one particular year two or three years ago I remember it being particularly brutal. Whether the noticeable absence of such discounting this year is due to better sales or more realistic stock levels I couldn't say!

Don't like xmas shopping but have had to do a bit. The huge Meadows (Marks and Spencer / Tesco) in Camberley has been far emptier than I expected on two occasions recently. M&S had the usual guys in hi-vis directing people to empty parking spaces but this year they were hanging around not needed for anything as plenty of spaces. Same in Bracknell so-called "town centre", pretty empty.

I never bought anything online until this year. I have place 67 orders in 6 months on Amazon.

If other people are doing the same then its going to be hard on the high street.

Most of my Xmas shopping is going online. By next year all of it.

Apart for Food and Drink. I don't think I need to go out and shop.

I never bought anything online until this year. I have place 67 orders in 6 months on Amazon.

If other people are doing the same then its going to be hard on the high street.

Most of my Xmas shopping is going online. By next year all of it.

Apart for Food and Drink. I don't think I need to go out and shop.

Now people can shop from anywhere and more and more can now work from anywhere. ;)

Amazon is basically impossible to beat. You just search for stuff and click and buy. No hassle. No parking in town. No crowds etc etc.

Amazon is basically impossible to beat. You just search for stuff and click and buy. No hassle. No parking in town. No crowds etc etc.

Incorrect.

Amazon does not do the best prices on a lot of lines.

I have Amazon prime, which is, frankly, being paid for by Amazon's share holders.

A lot of toys and video games are cheaper at Argos and Tesco, both do free delivery + pick up.

Yeah, but some just can't be bothered to look around. Just go to Amazon and get the stuff. Even if you pay more at least you save yourself the hassle of shopping around or otherwise faffing around on the internet.

Two big problems with buying on Amazon (and I sell on there). One is you are at the mercy of the couriers, and they may be unreliable in your area. You may not be able to commit to a certain time to receive a delivery. The second is that you can't examine or try on the goods via the web.

Just a little surprised the big retailers aren't offering free mince pies and sherry to all their terrestial customers...

Two big problems with buying on Amazon (and I sell on there). One is you are at the mercy of the couriers, and they may be unreliable in your area. You may not be able to commit to a certain time to receive a delivery. The second is that you can't examine or try on the goods via the web.

Just a little surprised the big retailers aren't offering free mince pies and sherry to all their terrestial customers...

Oh, there's a couple of shops I still go in.

One because the girl who works there has really boobs.