House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fru-gal

Horror Films

What are your favourite horror films?

I watched Martyrs last night and thought it was pretty overrated and gory for the sake of it. The plot was rubbish. The most shocking film I have seen is another French film - Irréversible, not so much horror as just more generally disturbing, the kind of film that lingers in your psyche for months.

My favourite (enjoyable) horror films are The Exorcist, The Ring Series (Japanese original), Prince of Darkness, Suspiria, The Wicker Man, The Blair Witch Project, The Shining, The Thing and The Descent. I tend to prefer older films as they seem to rely more on acting and atmosphere than special effects.

What do you recommend (not really into gore, enjoy more psychological horror/creepiness)?

What are your favourite horror films?

I watched Martyrs last night and thought it was pretty overrated and gory for the sake of it. The plot was rubbish. The most shocking film I have seen is another French film - Irréversible, not so much horror as just more generally disturbing, the kind of film that lingers in your psyche for months.

My favourite (enjoyable) horror films are The Exorcist, The Ring Series (Japanese original), Prince of Darkness, Suspiria, The Wicker Man, The Blair Witch Project, The Shining, The Thing and The Descent. I tend to prefer older films as they seem to rely more on acting and atmosphere than special effects.

What do you recommend (not really into gore, enjoy more psychological horror/creepiness)?

I haven't seen Martyrs, but agree with Exorcist, Wicker Man, Blair Witch, Shining.

Of the recent ones Babadock (sp?) is good (7/10), It Follows (10/10) and Let The Right One In - Swedish Original (10/10) are wonderful. The latter has amazing cinematography contrasting blood and snow.

Horror films are very common but rarely high quality.

I like creepy too .... Twilight Zone is good for that, plus Hitchcock Presents. The BluRay release of X Files might make me revisit that.

I haven't seen Martyrs, but agree with Exorcist, Wicker Man, Blair Witch, Shining.

Of the recent ones Babadock (sp?) is good (7/10), It Follows (10/10) and Let The Right One In - Swedish Original (10/10) are wonderful. The latter has amazing cinematography contrasting blood and snow.

Horror films are very common but rarely high quality.

I like creepy too .... Twilight Zone is good for that, plus Hitchcock Presents. The BluRay release of X Files might make me revisit that.

I thought the Babadook was ok but I was expecting it to be better than it was. I really don't get the hype of Let the Right One In. I just didn't find it that interesting. I think there are better vampire movies out there. Love this scene from Salem's Lot;

Good choices, I particularly like Suspiria myself as the Giallo genre can be highly entertaining.

Have you seen "Sinister"? Very good and not too gory.

"Mama" is pretty good, creepy and witchy with a pretty good ending to it.

"Insidious" is good too, by the book but well done.

"Housebound", a New Zealand film is worth digging out if you like something a little less mainstream. Me and the wife had a chuckle at that one as it pretends to be horror, chucks loads of cliches at you and then goes off the wall. Can't say more without spoiling it really.

Saw "Deliver us from Evil" the other week and I thought it was pretty good. Possession film and has a few light moments.

"Cabin in the Woods" just plain mental and very funny, chucks everything at you and has SIgourney Weaver in it. The ending always makes me laugh!

I discovered the other week that I have a digital channel called horror. When I chanced upon the film that was showing was called 'Nude Nuns With Big Guns'. I caught the last five minutes. It was so dreadful it was fascinating. There seems to be a whole genre of cheap schlock horror out there of which I had previously been totally unaware. The next time I caught the Horror channel They were showing 'Inbred'. This stuff is so bad it is almost good.

Guest eight

I discovered the other week that I have a digital channel called horror. When I chanced upon the film that was showing was called 'Nude Nuns With Big Guns'. I caught the last five minutes. It was so dreadful it was fascinating. There seems to be a whole genre of cheap schlock horror out there of which I had previously been totally unaware. The next time I caught the Horror channel They were showing 'Inbred'. This stuff is so bad it is almost good.

Have you not seen Zombeavers?

I have a soft spot for "Dracula Has Risen from the Grave"

Others - since you like the older ones..

The Evil Dead - the original classic

Re-Animator - truly ridiculous but a classic in its own right

The Stuff - darkly funny

Saw - nice twist at the end

Final Destination - all of them, hilarious

Friday 13th Part 1 and IIRC part 3

Blood Rage - classic high-school slasher

and one from left-field:

Hallowe'en 3 - The Season of the Witch - I'm probably on my own here but I thought it the best of the lot, really creepy and atmospheric, no Michael Myers; it's the "odd one out".

Pan's Labyrinth - brilliant, though not strictly horror

Harold's Going Stiff - an original variation on the zombie genre

Pan's Labyrinth is about the Spanish civil war! Nice film though!

Good choices, I particularly like Suspiria myself as the Giallo genre can be highly entertaining.

Have you seen "Sinister"? Very good and not too gory.

"Mama" is pretty good, creepy and witchy with a pretty good ending to it.

"Insidious" is good too, by the book but well done.

"Housebound", a New Zealand film is worth digging out if you like something a little less mainstream. Me and the wife had a chuckle at that one as it pretends to be horror, chucks loads of cliches at you and then goes off the wall. Can't say more without spoiling it really.

Saw "Deliver us from Evil" the other week and I thought it was pretty good. Possession film and has a few light moments.

"Cabin in the Woods" just plain mental and very funny, chucks everything at you and has SIgourney Weaver in it. The ending always makes me laugh!

Thanks. Will check them out. I have only seen Insidous from your list.

I have a soft spot for "Dracula Has Risen from the Grave"

Others - since you like the older ones..

The Evil Dead - the original classic

Re-Animator - truly ridiculous but a classic in its own right

The Stuff - darkly funny

Saw - nice twist at the end

Final Destination - all of them, hilarious

Friday 13th Part 1 and IIRC part 3

Blood Rage - classic high-school slasher

and one from left-field:

Hallowe'en 3 - The Season of the Witch - I'm probably on my own here but I thought it the best of the lot, really creepy and atmospheric, no Michael Myers; it's the "odd one out".

Thanks. Think I need to check out Saw after all the hype! I really like the Hostel films, so if it is anything like them should be good!

Thanks. Think I need to check out Saw after all the hype! I really like the Hostel films, so if it is anything like them should be good!

The"saw"films are just grim.

The first Saw film was good.

Few horror films are genuinely scary. Most of the older ones are more like dark comedy-horror.

I think the one that probably qualifies as most terrifying is "The Descent".

I have seen quite a lot of horror films mostly in my obviously misspent youth but I found that one genuinely chilling.