House Price Crash Forum

Obscure 80S Indie Songs Of Beauty

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

Songs by bands of which nobody seems to have heard, vanished without trace, never making it to compilations, and with minimal Youtube views.

In this context a band like The Cocteau Twins would count as mainstream. I have in mind things like no hit wonders on Postcard and Cherry Red. I have been unable to find one of my favourites: The LIttle Mermaid by Sombre Reptiles (a one man (called David IIRC) band in Edinburgh that used to make up his own tapes) but can still play it in my mind. If anybody seeks it out I will be extremely grateful!

This thread was inspired by following up on some Inspiral Carpets history (again, way too famous) and finding this snippet:

The Train Set’s ‘She’s Gone’ is one of Noel [Gallagher - Inspiral Carpets roadie before Oasis] ’s favourite songs, he used to have the song on a compilation cassette that he brought on tour with us in 1989.

https://carpetburns.wordpress.com/extracts/tour-diary-1991/

Now I'd never heard of this song let alone this band, but here it is and it's pretty good though not startlingly so IMHO, but then again I am not a world-famous very talented songwriter:

My selection, though The Bible are on the edge of being known albeit not well known, is:

Just gives me shivers, it's so good. They were gigging before my gig-going days (i.e. when i could afford to go) so I didn't get to see them. Though I was probably served by Boo Hewerdine who worked in my then-local branch of Our Price records.

continued...

HOLA442

Miss World were stunning live, blew you away. Their cover of Wonderful World was awesome. That this, their best song, doesn't even have a full length video supporting it says it all, ah well. Jonathan Perkins (lead singer) was the keyboard player in XTC but chose to leave for another band just before they signed their first contract.

And finally a fun live act, Leicester's Diesel Park West. They were heavily hyped but maybe too derivative though this one stood out for me, and also for the record co. who paid out for a proper video.

Looking forward to your hidden gems. Nothing too raucous though, such as anything by Mr Pin's fan Captain Sensible.

And the upper case "S" in "80s" is put in there by the forum software, I tried editing it but it just changes back.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Frank, I always liked you r choice of picture; I Felt it was rather good. I like Frugals as well; anther interesting band.

Cheers Doug, I was tempted to put Felt but whilst I think their entire canon is excellent they don't really IMO have a stand-out song.

Quick couple of songs recommendations for Frugals? I am very out of touch these days for which I blame Stock Aitken and Waterman ho drove me away form pop music by making the popular stations unlistenable for severla years.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Cheers Doug, I was tempted to put Felt but whilst I think their entire canon is excellent they don't really IMO have a stand-out song.

Quick couple of songs recommendations for Frugals? I am very out of touch these days for which I blame Stock Aitken and Waterman ho drove me away form pop music by making the popular stations unlistenable for severla years.

Yep they have a lot to answer for ,loads of good bands out there now even they never get a look in (or it could just be my taste in music :wacko: )

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420