Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Maryhell

Buying And Selling At The Same Time Is Incredibly Stressful!

Recommended Posts

We have just had the offer on the house we are selling confirmed and the settlement date is 29th January, fantastic.... We were going to port our mortgage but the house we are meant to be buying will not be ready as the seller has a problem with the house she is going to. It means we are no longer able to port and will have to try to apply for a mortgage before we have paid off old mortgage to try to keep in line with proposed dates. These dates seem to be very fluid and it's a nightmare trying to decide when to apply so it is in time but not too soon. The worry is it all drags out and then we have to apply again which might affect credit rating? Also bloody mortgage valuation only laSt's 6 weeks. The costs keep mounting up and it's so hard to try to find somewhere to stay /rent for a short amount of time. We can't put off our buyer by extending his entry date as it has taken ages to get to this point and his mortgage offer will run out along with his patience! Uuuurrrgh. We don't have the funds or income to have 2 consecutive mortgages either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They seem to get you every which way! Survey done and valuation, now another valuation needed and hardly worth trying to rent for a few weeks. Storage needed as well! I think it is tricky getting a mortgage at the best of times without having to apply before other one is paid off. Porting would have been so much better.:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like you are trying to be to accommodating.

If the house you are buying is unavailable for another 6 weeks you simply make your house unavailable for another six weeks. You push the problem down the chain, rather than move into temporary accommodation to make sure your buyers can complete on the original date. You are paying an estate agent, solicitor and possibly a financial adviser. Take a back seat a bit and let them deal with it amongst themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like you are trying to be to accommodating.

If the house you are buying is unavailable for another 6 weeks you simply make your house unavailable for another six weeks. You push the problem down the chain, rather than move into temporary accommodation to make sure your buyers can complete on the original date. You are paying an estate agent, solicitor and possibly a financial adviser. Take a back seat a bit and let them deal with it amongst themselves.

Yes, sadly this. I was lucky to buy chain-free as frankly they look like a nightmare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bridging loan may be cheaper than all the costs in applying for a second mortgage.

You will probably be turned down for a second mortgage if you dont have the income to service both.

A bridging loan will bankrupt you if things get dragged out for too long.

Safer thing is just to delay the chain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like you are trying to be to accommodating.

If the house you are buying is unavailable for another 6 weeks you simply make your house unavailable for another six weeks. You push the problem down the chain, rather than move into temporary accommodation to make sure your buyers can complete on the original date. You are paying an estate agent, solicitor and possibly a financial adviser. Take a back seat a bit and let them deal with it amongst themselves.

This.

Basically, your seller is imposing costs on you (time/money/risk). If you suck them all up, that is down to you - but in most cases you should look to share the pain. For example, if you dont think your buyer needs to pay, then your seller should cover all costs for your temporary accomodation by dropping the sale price by a %age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our seller is ready to go but the house she is buying doesn't match the title deeds and her seller and solicitor are being less than helpful. It's gone on for ages already and we don't want our buyer to end up with his mortgage offer running out. Our seller is an old lady that defiantly couldn't cope with renting. I'm never moving house again !!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Next General Election   91 members have voted

    1. 1. When do you predict the next general election will be held?


      • 2019
      • 2020
      • 2021
      • 2022

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.