House Price Crash Forum
Elizabeth

London Exit Strategy

Well guys, I have decided London is rubbish. Mostly because it is unaffordable. But is there anywhere left in the green and pleasant land that still has jobs, is worth living in, but house prices haven't gone through the sky relative to wages? Any local accounts?

yes. try the lake district. its clean, friendly (to middle aged whites only). it has great views of lakeland scenes, lots of jobs in tech companies. good shopping and ideal rail links. a motoryway network and lots and lots of 3,4 bed homes for about £60k - £110k.

yes. try the lake district. its clean, friendly (to middle aged whites only). it has great views of lakeland scenes, lots of jobs in tech companies. good shopping and ideal rail links. a motoryway network and lots and lots of 3,4 bed homes for about £60k - £110k.

Another funny yet complety usless posting by Mr RFD :P

Fred, could you give me the name of a town so I could actually do a search?

EDIT:

Don't worry. It works! Cumbria? Kendall?

Edited by Elizabeth

i was kidding.......

dream on - there 260k for a terrace.

PLUS its full of those terrible middle class pensioners that wear small back packs and hiking trousers simply to amble around grassmere at 3mph. or fit all terrain tyres to the electric shopping buggys.

theres tea rooms and hiking shops selling the same thing over and over like a scooby doo background.

there are no jobs. its cold with no parking and very overpriced.

Edited by right_freds_dead

I've just moved to Chester. The cost of rent is identical to the cost of buying, its a lovely city and you are near major employment centres like Manchester.

Wish you were here,

Imp xxx

i was kidding.......

dream on - there 260k for a terrace.

PLUS its full of those terrible middle class pensioners that wear small back packs and hiking trousers simply to amble around grassmere at 3mph. or fit all terrain tyres to the electric shopping buggys.

theres tea rooms and hiking shops selling the same thing over and over like a scooby doo background.

there are no jobs. its cold with no parking and very overpriced.

Dunno mate. There are lots of 3 bed terraces for under 110K I could get a 5 bed number in Morecambe for 99.

Do they let you smoke in the tea rooms?

i suppose its cheap if your a fancy londoner - but up here most poeple in morcambe will be working at Syds amusements as either cashiers or technicians trained in the art of openeing up the monster mash edition bandit and unsticking your 10p.

it was so grim they closed the open air pool with the expensive wave machine and renamed the theme park from Funland to Miserable Mountain.

Edited by right_freds_dead

it was so grim they closed the open air pool with the expensive wave machine and renamed the theme park from Funland to Miserable Mountain.

Right. I think I'll just check out chester. Doesn't sound like a decent latte to be had in morecombe!

I've just moved to Chester. The cost of rent is identical to the cost of buying, its a lovely city and you are near major employment centres like Manchester.

Wish you were here,

Imp xxx

My mother in law lives within the city walls of Chester and has been broken into twice by a local drug user with a £2k a week habit. Chester's not what it was these days.

My mother in law lives within the city walls of Chester and has been broken into twice by a local drug user with a £2k a week habit. Chester's not what it was these days.

Geez this is going to be a grim hunt :o

No where is, but its a haven of peace and quiet compared to London.

strange that junkie stuff about chester, as i was in york recently on important business and i noticed how nice the place was, but was suprised just how many junkies were lying on the streets gouging away in rags beside a filthy used heroin sringe.

a sign of the times./

If you were a junky, wouldn't you want to be somewhere nice like York or Chester? This is a sign of the high quality of the place. Folks who can't be bothered to do anything have gone to the effort of going to these places to live. Plus with the funny overhanging tudor buildings there is always somewhere to get out of the rain.

If you were a junky, wouldn't you want to be somewhere nice like York or Chester? This is a sign of the high quality of the place. Folks who can't be bothered to do anything have gone to the effort of going to these places to live. Plus with the funny overhanging tudor buildings there is always somewhere to get out of the rain.

:lol::lol::lol: High recommendation (never thought about how useful the overhanging tudor aspect might be). I'll check out Chester... and York while I'm at it!!!

i suppose they are chased into the citys from small yorkshire villages by angry locals manning pitchforks and blunderbuses.

if i were a junky i wouldnt really care where i lived, as long as i could get my hands on high quality horse.

Guest Bart of Darkness

strange that junkie stuff about chester, as i was in york recently on important business and i noticed how nice the place was, but was suprised just how many junkies were lying on the streets gouging away in rags beside a filthy used heroin sringe.

a sign of the times./

York always strikes me as being nice (and clean). Never noticed any junkies but then I was probably wearing my rose-tinted specs (not yet available on the NHS sadly).

Fred, a trip to the National Railway Museum is not important business! ;)

Guest Bart of Darkness

it is when theres a special japanese bullet train exhibition.

those crafty nips know how to make a real train.

I've seen that one as well. A rare chance to sit in a bullet train carriage. What really impressed me was the huge amount of leg room you get. Have gone up to York on a Virgin (ooh er!) with very cramped seating, it made the difference all the more striking.

A university professor I know went off to Japan in 2004. He used to send email updates of what he had been doing. However he spent most of the time raving about the speed, punctuality and cleanliness of the bullet trains.

I moved up to Chester from London and liked it. Been here 2 years after 13 in London, the mix of urban & country is preferable, Manchester / Liverpool only a short trip away if you want that, alternatively there's nice parts of North Wales (2 miles from border like Colwyn Bay / Conwy etc. Wages are obviously lower, and I work online, so cannot speak of job opportunities.

For those talking of junkies etc in Chester, please don't slag the place, what do want to do - bring house prices down here ? ;):)

I wish you luck. I lived in Chester for 3 years, 6 years ago - it was not my kind of place. It's a bit of a cultural desert - unlike even some smaller towns across the border. What little culture there is is heavily geared towards tourists - think towncriers and endless productions of the mystery plays. Crap library. You have hordes of chavs descending on the place everytime there is horse racing or if they fancy a posh night out (the smarter people go out to Liverpool instead - people are friendlier and it is cheaper if you share a late night taxi). Basically the place is up it's own ar*e.

The locals are very cliquey - there are basically fiveish neighbourhoods and locals from one won't talk to anyone from another 'hood or outsiders.

It is relatively safe - although I was attacked by a gang from the local army cadets camp while cycling home and someone tried to rape the lasses living in the flat above me (while they were in bed). It is a pretty city though - the walls are good for a Sunday afternoon stroll and living costs are relatively cheap (if you ignore the apparent need to dress in your best clothes to go shopping).

It is a good place for car owners (apart from the crazy traffic light system around the town centre) but less so for cyclists - the main roads out of the place are not for the faint hearted (think middle aged beemer drivers doing 70mph along country roads).

Of course, all of this may have changed. House prices still fairly insane but I understand not much is selling anymore.

I wish you luck. I lived in Chester for 3 years, 6 years ago - it was not my kind of place. It's a bit of a cultural desert - unlike even some smaller towns across the border. What little culture there is is heavily geared towards tourists - think towncriers and endless productions of the mystery plays. Crap library. You have hordes of chavs descending on the place everytime there is horse racing or if they fancy a posh night out (the smarter people go out to Liverpool instead - people are friendlier and it is cheaper if you share a late night taxi). Basically the place is up it's own ar*e.

The locals are very cliquey - there are basically fiveish neighbourhoods and locals from one won't talk to anyone from another 'hood or outsiders.

It is relatively safe - although I was attacked by a gang from the local army cadets camp while cycling home and someone tried to rape the lasses living in the flat above me (while they were in bed). It is a pretty city though - the walls are good for a Sunday afternoon stroll and living costs are relatively cheap (if you ignore the apparent need to dress in your best clothes to go shopping).

It is a good place for car owners (apart from the crazy traffic light system around the town centre) but less so for cyclists - the main roads out of the place are not for the faint hearted (think middle aged beemer drivers doing 70mph along country roads).

Of course, all of this may have changed. House prices still fairly insane but I understand not much is selling anymore.

Your description seems quite accurate, I don't think things have changed much IMO in the last few years.

The race course binge drinking invasion is like bank holidays in Brighton, a day out of town is advised

Somone I know who lived in Chester all there life had a theory that the cliquey thing was because the place had been invaded so many times. Shame about the lack of culture, but I found the same in places like Chichester, Worthing etc, as I am from the South coast.

The large amount of condensed history, canals & river etc make up for it I reckon, and it has the potential to improve with arts & the like . There are so many Church's here that it can make a place come under conservative control.

Apparently house prices & rents have dropped recently.

The large amount of condensed history, canals & river etc make up for it I reckon, and it has the potential to improve with arts & the like . There are so many Church's here that it can make a place come under conservative control.

True enough -I don't want to put anyone off. And you're right too about access to North Wales (if you have a car - the A55 is pretty quick). I think it used to be a tory stronghold prior to 1997 - I'd expect it to return to tory hands if/when Gordon stuffs up the economy in a more obvious way.

Bath, Canterbury, Cambridge, Oxford, York, Winchester, Brighton, Edinburgh... all look like nice places. They'll all be over-priced of couse, but still cheaper than London.

Is English a requirement? Stockholm, Munich, Copenhagen...?