House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bendy

Things You Would Pay More For

1. A laptop charger with a wire that resembles one of an outdoor garden tool rather than some flimsy shit that will have to be replaced yearly due to moving a PORTABLE device from room to room.

2. A haircut that is to professional standard but without all the ******** aftersnip so it's over in 5 minutes, WITHOUT small talk.

Feel free to add your own headline style capitals!

Industrial style corkscrews, that don't feel like they came out of a Christmas cracker. :blink:

Any electrical appliance that will last longer than 10 years......and where parts are readily available so can get easily repaired....no need for all this stupid parts and labour guarantees, waste of money....costing the earth.....cost the earth to buy the thing. ;)

Edit to say.....without such a throw away world think of all the saving of the environment, greenhouse gasses etc.

Any electrical appliance that will last longer than 10 years......and where parts are readily available so can get easily repaired....no need for all this stupid parts and labour guarantees, waste of money....costing the earth.....cost the earth to buy the thing. ;)

Edit to say.....without such a throw away world think of all the saving of the environment, greenhouse gasses etc.

Miele ,freezer and washing machine still going strong 12 and 15 years on ....i've just jinxed it haven't i

A Swiss army corkscrew?

Only for use in an emergency....I usually buy screw tops.

I have a Swiss army knife, and it does have a good corkscrew. As for Winkie's comment, a lot of electrical goods do last well. My bedside radio music box thing is 18 years old, and still going. Obviously avoid the supermarket brand plastic kettles.

Miele ,freezer and washing machine still going strong 12 and 15 years on ....i've just jinxed it haven't i

I bought a brand new washing mashine for the first time ever a couple of years back. It was an expensive one, and I expect it will outlast me. I do expect to have to change the door seals sometime before I pop my clogs. Mind you it only gets used once or twice a week,

My BEKO fridge/freezer is still going strong at 14 years now!

Trouble is that brands change companies through mergers etc. so aren't always what they used to be.

Agree on this electrical stuff though - other than hard drives I've not known of much PC equipment to fail so it seems that's not designed for planned obselecence (ffs i can't spell that for the life of me and can't be arsed to look it up!) I guess if it was there would be some very unhappy business customers around but fortunately the home and business market have access to the exact same products.

We were much more eco friendly in the 50s and 60s when you bought most foods loose, and they came wrapped in a brown paper bag or grease proof paper. Mum took her own shopping bag to the shops. We darned and mended clothes, only giving them to the rag and bone man when they were falling apart.

Fridges and freezers are about the most reliable thing you can buy with moving parts. It's all sealed in its own lubricant. Much more likely that the door seal goes, or the spring that keeps the door closed.

Yes I also bought a new washing machine just over 2 years ago. (Tesco...£140 )

Worth paying the extra !

Oh dear, mine was a bit more costly than that. We will see whether it was worth the extra in a few years.

Bosch kettle and toaster still going strong after eight years - a record for these appliances for me. Not going to mention the fridge freezer, dishwasher or washing machine I currently have. My old Bosch fridge freezer lasted 17 years. A Zanussi washing machine, my first, lasted 21 years and was passed on to a friend who used it till it leaked comprehensively three years later.

We were much more eco friendly in the 50s and 60s when you bought most foods loose, and they came wrapped in a brown paper bag or grease proof paper. Mum took her own shopping bag to the shops. We darned and mended clothes, only giving them to the rag and bone man when they were falling apart.

Yes much less wasteful then. We also too back beer and lemonade bottles to be refilled, and get the deposit back. Now they get crushed to make road hardcore, and new bottles get made. The world is going backwards in some ways.

Guest eight

We were much more eco friendly in the 50s and 60s

Those London smogs certainly looked eco friendly.

Guest eight

Fridges and freezers are about the most reliable thing you can buy with moving parts. It's all sealed in its own lubricant. Much more likely that the door seal goes, or the spring that keeps the door closed.

Sounds like the kind of treatment The Masked Tulip would pay good money for.

Those London smogs certainly looked eco friendly.

Ah yes, certainly a bit smelly by all accounts! My mum can remember them, er actually she's forgotten most things now, but they didn't sound good! :unsure: I think the point being made is we had so little to waste then!

Yes much less wasteful then. We also too back beer and lemonade bottles to be refilled, and get the deposit back. Now they get crushed to make road hardcore, and new bottles get made. The world is going backwards in some ways.

Yet people keep telling me how much better life is now that we don't have that sort of hassle (which never seems to be that much hassle to me).

Sounds like the kind of treatment The Masked Tulip would pay good money for.

Maybe he dresses up like kitchen appliances? Maybe a mincer? :blink: