House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Getting Sacked And A £30M Payout.....

Wow! If I had such a payoff, I wouldn;t have bothered to get another job! :blink:

Wow! If I had such a payoff, I wouldn;t have bothered to get another job! :blink:

Walk into a new one tomorrow.....in the business of getting sacked. ;)

Local Government and NHS come to mind.

And the BBC.

This is why, even if I liked football, I wouldn't buy the kit or pay for Sky Sports etc. I'd only go to the odd match as well unless ticket prices came down. Starve the beast.

+1.

He'd better not come to Swansea and nick my crusty roll lines.

It must be tempting to create situations that increase the possibility of such a massive pay off. I'm not saying that is actually what happened. It's not a fans game anymore (if it ever was) and some of the match results are most strange to say the very least.

It's not as if in general the footie is any better compared to when all the money came into the premiership.

Guest eight

It must be tempting to create situations that increase the possibility of such a massive pay off. I'm not saying that is actually what happened. It's not a fans game anymore (if it ever was) and some of the match results are most strange to say the very least.

It's not as if in general the footie is any better compared to when all the money came into the premiership.

I think the Premier League is made up.

It's a simple calculation to sack the manager when there is conflict with the team. Sack the manager or sack the team. Which is cheaper?

By the way, people are pointing to the Caneiro affair as the start of his downfall but I don't agree. I think that was a symptom of what was going on over the Summer. He was forced to sell Cech (for which I think Abramovich acted extremely honourably here - thinking of the player and his family not just winning at all costs). I don't think he got the players he wanted to bring in. Was probably foisted with Falcao and Pedro in much the same way as he was foisted with Torres and Shevchenko. The pre season went pretty badly and they started back really late. So I think the Caneiro blow up was the culmination of events not the tinder. Still, for Abramovich it has provided a fantastic opportunity to reduce any payout.

I yearn for the days when everyone in football was just called Ron.

I think the Premier League is made up.

No, I went to a game once and it was real.

You're thinking of "Escape To Victory"...

;)

XYY

That's relatively cheap isn't it, in the context that the average Chelsea sub that rarely sees a game costs about 30 million these days plus wages.

The money in football is crazy but by any measure £30 million compensation is a massive amount but indeed it probably only compensates him for lost wages etc according to his contract. It's long been crazy money - an incentive towards shortened service. I'm not saying that happened in this case.

A sub bench footballer doesn't get the £30 million transfer fee (maybe a percentage?) but indeed the massively extravagant sums involved throughout the game can make massive compensation seem cheap (relatively).

Must be possible to organise a footie league without it feeling like there's an army of Eastender's scriptwriters, in the background, constantly injecting hysterical over-dramatisation.

Did Mourinho engineer his sacking?

I thought his behaviour before he was sacked was pretty extraordinary.

And now he's got exactly what he's said he's always wanted.

This is why, even if I liked football, I wouldn't buy the kit or pay for Sky Sports etc. I'd only go to the odd match as well unless ticket prices came down. Starve the beast.

Most money comes from sponsors, so if you buy any products from companies that sponsor football teams or stadiums or that display ads at football matches (or on tv during matches) then you are feeding the beast.

Most money comes from sponsors, so if you buy any products from companies that sponsor football teams or stadiums or that display ads at football matches (or on tv during matches) then you are feeding the beast.

I'm pretty sure TV money is vastly more than sponsorship. I may be wrong.

I'm pretty sure TV money is vastly more than sponsorship. I may be wrong.

In the English Premier League at least TV money dwarfs sponsorship massively.

Depends on the club, Manchester United for example whore themselves out something chronic. If you got to games in the PL, especially the bigger clubs they have official suppliers for pretty much everything, related to football or not (Toilet Duck, official toilet rim cleaner for Chelsea), but in reality it will be a few quid here and a few quid there.

You don't even need any fans if Bournemouth, Leicester, Burnley etc. are to become the norm now.

As somebody noted (IIRC it was you hotairmail) the huge TV money outweighing all other income means that there is now a level playing field in the Premiership for any club if they get into it. So Forest Green Rovers, if they can spend enough to get over the big hurdle of entering the EPL, will be able to compete financially with Manchester City on transfer fees and wages.

So you could end up with half the EPL being clubs with gates of 2,000 and a lack of spectacle. Leicester winning the league is the early warning signal for the "big" clubs: being big won't help you any more.