House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

Number Of Homeless Families Living In B&bs Hits 12-Year High In England

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/dec/17/homeless-families-bed-and-breakfast-england-dclg

Local councils use B&Bs to house homeless families when they are unable to find social or private rented housing to accommodate them. Often parents and children live in a single room, with kitchens and bathrooms shared with other tenants.

In the capital, the number of households in temporary accommodation as at 30 September 2015 was 50,490. This is a 10% increase compared with the same date in 2014 (45,810) and accounts for 74% of the total England figure. There was a 20% rise in the number of households in temporary accommodation in the rest of England, from 15,100 on 30 September 2014 to 18,080 on 30 September 2015.

Across England, 2,600 foreign national applicants were accepted as homeless.

--

So why are councils unable to find private rented housing for people?

Yes they will if the state is paying the price they ask......nobody else will. ;)

I think something changed a couple of years ago . . . the landlord is no longer paid directly by the state . . . someone else may have more information. At one time that was, as you say, a kind of guarantee.

If you look at the hoops you have to go through in the UK to rent a place . . . I'm pretty shocked compared to the rest of Europe . . . then this article doesn't surprise me at all. It seems normal to ask retired people for six months rent in advance . . . just outrageous.

Who owns all these b&bs? Are they corporate or even lower scrum than bog standard landlords? Do you progress downwards from LL to HMO owner to finally reach the depths of b&b people farmer?

Who owns all these b&bs? Are they corporate or even lower scrum than bog standard landlords? Do you progress downwards from LL to HMO owner to finally reach the depths of b&b people farmer?

airbnb?

R4 had a trailer for the St Mungo/Trafalgar square homeless charity the other week.

It was a talk-through about a bloke who came down from Sheffield and found himself homeless - mainly because he was not working and had a drink problem. It ended with him saying 'Oh its great, they've sorted me out a flat, now I can get a job - which I did not believe'. He sounded a bit '8-Ace - Id do nayhting for my kids .... when the pubs shut'

And Im sat there, thinking - Hold on, Why in FFS do you encourage dossers to come down from Sheffield (Im from Yorkshire), to the most expensive area in the UK, without a job?

Would the money not be best spent getting him a one-way ticket back to Sheffield?