House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Earning Over £100K But Can't Afford The Baby

We earn over £100,000 - but can't afford our baby. Outrageous? Yes. But mum-to-be Jocelyn refuses to rein in her VERY indulgent lifestyle

2F7049D800000578-0-image-a-31_1450308556 Jocelyn Miller and her husband Ben, above, earn over £100,000 a year but the couple, from Tunbridge Wells, worry about how they will afford their baby. After nights out a fancy holidays, such as visiting Mexico in October 2014, right, the couple, who married in April 2013, inset, have saved only £1,500. However despite her fears mum-to-be Jocelyn has no plans to curb her spending habits and is planning her next

Today's sob piece from the Wail.

"Dad, an engineer, and Mum, a primary school teacher, were never profligate or flash. They saved their money, and helped pay for my accommodation at university, and bailed me out many times."

"Dad, an engineer, and Mum, a primary school teacher, were never profligate or flash. They saved their money, and helped pay for my accommodation at university, and bailed me out many times."

One day you may be bailing them out! :unsure:

If they blow everything they earn on reasonable wages, they are very silly indeed. :wacko:

Clickbait - if you can't tell the readers something interesting just make them angry...

Thing is, as the DM know very well, a lot of people really enjoy getting steamed up about stuff like this.

I'm sure we all know someone who's never happy unless they've got something to moan about.

Ooooh let me cast my all-seeing eye on the photo.

Her, 36.

Him, 32.

Both doing freelancey type jobs in London.

High paying, but high-outgoings.

Her, getting fed up of working. Pursues younger man to support her.

'Look, Im not putting the kid n the local school, its full of foreign kids'.

We'll have to move out.

Sell up - or maybe not these days, just end the rental tenancy.

Move to Essex or Wiltshire or Hertfordshire, or Sussex.

Him doing 4 hours travel a day.

Her spending money of organic nappies.

Darling, Im wasting here. I need to develop a career. Buy my a potters wheel/potters kiln ......

Him - more money on the mortgage.Why, that young secretary is nice ...

Thing is, as the DM know very well, a lot of people really enjoy getting steamed up about stuff like this.

I'm sure we all know someone who's never happy unless they've got something to moan about.

My dad spends a big chunk of his free time doing that.

I recognize the same behavior in myself too, and it can lead to depression (may well be because of depression); see some of my more rant-y posts on this very forum.

It's a very, very easy behaviour to sink into which is why I reckon it's best to avoid most mainstream media, especially the newspapers - they're just full of trivial crap that you can do nothing about that will wind you up.

Salary is too high.

A good marketing manager can expect to earn a £50k package which includes the car.

The median wage for a freelance journalist is ~£25k

They are deluded and even if they were on over £100k that wouldn't put them in the top bracket which is something like £350k per annum income.

Sorry they are Mr and Mrs average trying very hard to be someone they're not.

I think I will start a a little banner for these types of threads.

5.7K shares, and 2.5K comments in 2 two days. Must be a record!

1.png

I think we'll start seeing even more anger producing articles, they're going to take more risks, like interviewing people into bestiality, interviewing paedophiles etc.

If you haven't always got something to moan about then you're walking through the world with your eyes closed.

Salary is too high.

A good marketing manager can expect to earn a £50k package which includes the car.

The median wage for a freelance journalist is ~£25k

They are deluded and even if they were on over £100k that wouldn't put them in the top bracket which is something like £350k per annum income.

Sorry they are Mr and Mrs average trying very hard to be someone they're not.

That's the thing. The Mail loves to run stories about 100k+ people and their woes.

But 100k isn't much these days, especially once tax is considered.

If you earn 100k, expect to pay 30k tax and have to pay for your own accommodation, so 15K on top of the 30k. So perhaps you are left with 55k for everything else/

If you are on benefits, I dare say you can still get 25k for a large brood, and get your rent paid, so another 20k, So in fact those on the bottom rung(so to speak) aren't 1 million miles from those on a 100k.

I can speak from some sort of experience, we have a gross household income of 260k and by the time the mortgage, bills and taxes are paid plus school fees etc, it doesn't leave as much as you'd think. So whilst it might upset some people of this forum, I can easily appreciate how a 100k household might well struggle, especially if they have kids.

The real problem with the UK is that 100k households are in fact struggling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The real problem with the UK is that 100k households are in fact struggling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I'm going to launch my High Salary Advisor company next year. For just £10k I will explain to them why they have no money left at the end of the month. Cash up front of course.

I think I'm going to launch my High Salary Advisor company next year. For just £10k I will explain to them why they have no money left at the end of the month. Cash up front of course.

Don't throw the baby out with the Evian water.

I used to work with someone who called in some advsiors to work out why he was broke.

This was 95ish, so well in he IFA magic kerching, big fees$$$$$$$

There explanation was that he spent everything.

I could have told him that. He used to p1ss money away like water.

I can easily appreciate how a 100k household might well struggle, especially if they have kids.

We have a household income around the £80k mark. Struggling would be massively overstating it. It's true that we don't live a significantly different lifestyle from friends who are "self employed" in hobby businesses, because of the equalising effect of the tax/benefits system.