HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I'm worried that they won't.

Likewise. The days of 'normal' interest rates seem just a nostalgic yearning for me now, or perhaps I only dream it in the first place?. I voted the first option. Bad form to talk about how much one has 'stashed' ? I don't think so. This is a forum of prudent, thinking, caring types wanting to protect themselves and not be a burden to anyone or leech off anyone else.. it just shows that low IRs kills money velocity and has the opposite effect to what the policy makers want and that given the chance the thinking public, threatened with the casual erosion of their life's work, will just carry on saving harder than before.

Always was a saver but have spent the last seven or eight years saving more and diversifying more than ever before. Also making sure I pay as little tax as legally / legitimately as possible because I didn't vote for my taxes to be used to prop up a ponzi like this so that is all I can do to stop the fcukers getting their hands on my blood sweat and tears!

Phew... that's better. Rant over :)

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

My salary covers my mortgage 5 times so I think I could take a rate increase, my logic is that if it gets to the point where I am screwed, there are going to be plenty of other people ahead of me in the screwed queue!

Would totally welcome a significant rate rise, even if it sent my flat tumbling in value as it would also send the 'next step' crashing.

down. All I want is a spare bedroom and a garden, not too much to ask (or so I thought).

HOLA4412

My salary covers my mortgage 5 times so I think I could take a rate increase, my logic is that if it gets to the point where I am screwed, there are going to be plenty of other people ahead of me in the screwed queue!

Would totally welcome a significant rate rise, even if it sent my flat tumbling in value as it would also send the 'next step' crashing.

down. All I want is a spare bedroom and a garden, not too much to ask (or so I thought).

Indeed the best thing that ever happened to me was interest rates at 15% in 1992 as a mortgage holder. It set up the dream scenario by 1995 of being able to trade up at a time when houses prices hit their post war low under the economic management of St John.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Not really. I fixed 4 years ago at 3.79% which is quite high for a fix at the moment. It comes to an end in a year so unless rates rocket I'll probably be fixing bellow that level again, or going for a tracker as my mortgage is 10% of my take home (partner doesn't pay anything towards the mortgage, but could in a pinch and its around 18% of her take home).

Would love rates to spike and a bit of a HPC time for a few years time, I'll be ready to move by then and would happily take a 20% hit on my place (bought 2011) to get 20% off the next place 2.5x the value (ish).

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I think it's funny - in the face of contradictory evidence - that rising short rates necessarily means longer rates also rise and mortgages rise.

Mortgages rise bcos banks see greater profit. Not bcos overnight rates rise.

In a disinflationary era. #turningjapanese

HOLA4418