House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fru-gal

Pay More To Stay Is The Death Of The Private Landlord!

They really are starting to turn the screws. We have seen many false dawns but this is really starting to look like they have decided to get it over with and as fast as possible.

There will be many landlords looking for a way out but there is only going to be one exit and a queue. I am going to enjoy this Christmas and new year.

I don't think this is all it's made out to be.

Unless there is has or will be a radical change in the remit of the housing associations they will do not opt to rent to those with the highest ability to pay but rather those with the greatest need.

I think the policy of being able to introduce market rents is been aimed at those existing tenants whose financial circumstance may have improved and therefore rightly IMO should pay an appropriate rent. The author seems to disapprove of this if you click a link on the article where he advises people not to tell tenants of the LHA their financial circumstances.

My understanding the the right to buy is only at present being trialed in 3 LHAs at the moment.

I also don't get why this would ring the death knell for private rentals. There is not net increase in houses being provided but even perhaps the opposite when rental stock is taken from the market by right to buy.

Pay To Stay would certainly not dissuade me from signing a tenancy with a Housing Association. I am currently on the LA's housing register. However, as The White Horse points out these homes will be allocated to those of greatest need first.

Any HA tenant affected by this who decides to leave a property and go into the PRS will be in the 1%. They will ensure that the home they move to is much nicer than the the one they're leaving, with perfect neighbours and an excellent landlord. How many ordinary PRS applicants are so certain about these varying factors?

I'm a HA tennant, I've also been a Council tenant. I have used mutual exchange to move several times.

Would I buy my flat if it was offered to me (currently it is not)?

No f*ing way. Not based on the experiences I've encountered with the HA, who would still be repsonible for service, and the ASB which appears to be endemic with-in most London Estates.

I also don't get why this would ring the death knell for private rentals. There is not net increase in houses being provided but even perhaps the opposite when rental stock is taken from the market by right to buy.

So you can pay full whack in a HA property and have right to buy still?

So there'll be less HA properties for anyone to rent anyway?

And how will they be checking people's wages?

It's all mad - they'll be upping your council tax soon if you earn too much.

None of this addresses any of the issues of people in bed and breakfasts. Bedroom tax might have helped but hasn't.

Building more social housing and keeping it forever social housing is the only way. Throwing you out when you earn too much, or charging you more is not the answer.

• You will be able to buy your HA property after just 3 years with a 35% discount if a house and a 50% discount with a flat

Is this law now? When I moved into this place 15 years ago, I was told that it was an Assured Tenancy, meaning that I had no right to buy.

Building more social housing and keeping it forever social housing is the only way. Throwing you out when you earn too much, or charging you more is not the answer.

Totally agree. Over the past few years the government has made attempts to erode the good things about social housing so that it matches the private sector. Did it not occur to them to do the opposite and improve the private rented sector? Private tenants are now a significant proportion of the electorate!