House Price Crash Forum

The Big Fat Christmas Booze Up Thread

HOLA441

If there's one way to get Christmas going, it's going to the pub for breakfast and not stopping till you pass out. So,

When are you going?

Who are you going with?

What time do you expect to at home tucked up in bed?

How many days written off to recover?

Friday.

Workmates (middle aged blokes and token couple of birds).

8pm.

2 days.

HOLA442

Already been

workmates various ages and sexes

1am

0 days, was at the gym 10am sharp the next day even after a skinful (liver of steel or dissolved!)

BTW - are you collating this information for advertising purposes?

HOLA443
HOLA444

Knew I could rely on you bendy.

No advertising purposes other than to draw out the prudes. It wouldn't be fun if it wasn't openly disapproved.

Hard core boozing days well behind me. 3x times possibilities for booze ups, 2 of which look unlikely.

I think these days I prefer the sit in the chair and consume approach. Sad I know.

HOLA445
HOLA446

2 Fridays ago, went to the Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park. Not every bodies cup of tea but we love it and it's not that busy on a Friday earlier in the run.

My Girlfriend and I

Started at 12, got home about 1am

Actually felt pretty good, stayed on the beer which normally means no hang over. Went in to Dishoom for a Bacon Nan breakfast and then back on the boose later that day to celebrate the local micro pubs first birthday.

Had a couple of other events, but nothing too drastic on the drinking front.

HOLA447
HOLA448

2 Fridays ago, went to the Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park. Not every bodies cup of tea but we love it and it's not that busy on a Friday earlier in the run.

My Girlfriend and I

Started at 12, got home about 1am

Actually felt pretty good, stayed on the beer which normally means no hang over. Went in to Dishoom for a Bacon Nan breakfast and then back on the boose later that day to celebrate the local micro pubs first birthday.

Had a couple of other events, but nothing too drastic on the drinking front.

That's the Christmas spirit.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Have a litre each of Jack Daniels and French brandy waiting for me under the tree.

Another bottle of Buffalo Trace and Wild Turkey in the cupboard.

That's the Christmas spirits!

Unfortunately, my home brew is still not back on stream, so will have to lay in a stock of beer also.

HOLA4411

If there is one place I try to avoid at Christmas it is pubs.

They always tend to be full of office parties. Worse no one is buying simple rounds of beer or lager. Instead, the place is full of occasional boozers wanting wierd and exotic drinks that take an eternity to order and for the bar staff to serve. I used to dread ordering rounds on that sort of jolly since you needed to be Mr Memory to be able to recall all the selections made by people. Far better to buy 3 litres of cider and get quietly legless on your own on a park bench.

HOLA4412

Out with work last Thursday 2pm - midnight. Stopped counting my pints at #9 at about 8pm. Plenty of shots too.

Friday by myself in the boozer 4 till about 10. About 10 pints.

Saturday all dayer with pals. 11.30 till about 1am. No idea of amounts. A lot.

Sunday about 6 pints in pub by myself.

This week off it till Friday. Then another all dayer with mates.

Then off to Thailand on Sunday for 3 weeks by myself.

I think I am what's referred to as a "binge" drinker.

:)

HOLA4413

If there is one place I try to avoid at Christmas it is pubs.

They always tend to be full of office parties. Worse no one is buying simple rounds of beer or lager. Instead, the place is full of occasional boozers wanting wierd and exotic drinks that take an eternity to order and for the bar staff to serve. I used to dread ordering rounds on that sort of jolly since you needed to be Mr Memory to be able to recall all the selections made by people. Far better to buy 3 litres of cider and get quietly legless on your own on a park bench.

No Christmas booze up for me as I had to go teetotal 25 years ago because I'd drank myself to the brink of death.

Your mention of people not having their usual drink reminds me of an epic works christmas booze up on christmas eve when I was 19. Someone suggested everyone had a different drink than they normally had so I opted for southern comfort. Can't recall how many I had but I was pissed after the midday lunch. Then it was back to the office where the blokes laid on booze for the office girls in the games room. (This was in the 70's at the south of scotland electricity board).

I drank spirits all afternoon and had to be helped up to the 5 o'clock bus by a very attractive apprentice electrician. My boyfriend was on the bus as he was spending christmas day with my family. It didn't go down too well that I was snogging the electrican when the bus stopped.

I gave the bus driver a note and said "Keep the chawnge" then staggered up the aisle and collapsed over boyfriend. At some point in the 16 mile journey I vomited and can't remember much else about getting home. Mother was furious, ranting about inviting someone for christmas and getting in such a state blah blah blah. Next day I was so ill I couldn't eat christmas dinner or be sociable at all. Got dumped by boyfriend unsurprisingly.

Amazingly I continued to drink excessively for 13 more years until I had to quit or die.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Like last year I won't be drinking anything at my long and very enjoyable lunch party. Most people don't drink or drink very little because they're driving but it remains very enjoyable; great bunch of people. You certainly can drink as much as you want without it being frowned upon and I have joined the drinking crowd in past years but because this means staying in a hotel and driving back the next morning the pleasure of drinking was outweighed by the inconvenience.

This is a big difference to the days when I worked in London and hardly anybody drove; parties then were as I have been reading above. Not drinking at one of those parties would have put me in a minority of a one and it's not that I'm not drinking on principle.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I seem to have become a complete lightweight in my old age. Went to my teams office lunch today and just had two small bottles of beer to drink. Have to say I prefer to settle down with a bottle of wine at home now so I don't have to far to stagger to get to bed. That said in the past I had a fantastic homing instinct as a drunk no matter how inebriated. I invariably managed to stagger to my front door even if on a couple of occasions I passed out as soon as I got inside only to be woken hours later by the post dropping through the letterbox on top of me.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

No Christmas booze up for me as I had to go teetotal 25 years ago because I'd drank myself to the brink of death.

Your mention of people not having their usual drink reminds me of an epic works christmas booze up on christmas eve when I was 19. Someone suggested everyone had a different drink than they normally had so I opted for southern comfort. Can't recall how many I had but I was pissed after the midday lunch. Then it was back to the office where the blokes laid on booze for the office girls in the games room. (This was in the 70's at the south of scotland electricity board).

I drank spirits all afternoon and had to be helped up to the 5 o'clock bus by a very attractive apprentice electrician. My boyfriend was on the bus as he was spending christmas day with my family. It didn't go down too well that I was snogging the electrican when the bus stopped.

I gave the bus driver a note and said "Keep the chawnge" then staggered up the aisle and collapsed over boyfriend. At some point in the 16 mile journey I vomited and can't remember much else about getting home. Mother was furious, ranting about inviting someone for christmas and getting in such a state blah blah blah. Next day I was so ill I couldn't eat christmas dinner or be sociable at all. Got dumped by boyfriend unsurprisingly.

Amazingly I continued to drink excessively for 13 more years until I had to quit or die.

At least this all happened in Scotland, so nobody noticed.

HOLA4420

Ha ha!

Which country is your drinking like?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30500372

I got Belarus...Or at least Belarus wasn't quite as bad as me :)

Probably a good job I stopped altogether

P

I got...

Your drinking habits are unlike the average from any country.

Although I think asking me how many drinks have you had in the last week really wasn't the best idea at christmas. It think's I'm drinking 1000+ pints a year.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Well I have re-surfaced.

Out with work last Thursday 2pm - midnight. Stopped counting my pints at #9 at about 8pm. Plenty of shots too.

Friday by myself in the boozer 4 till about 10. About 10 pints.

Saturday all dayer with pals. 11.30 till about 1am. No idea of amounts. A lot.

Sunday about 6 pints in pub by myself.

This week off it till Friday. Then another all dayer with mates.

Then off to Thailand on Sunday for 3 weeks by myself.

I think I am what's referred to as a "binge" drinker.

:)

That makes me feel better.

HOLA4423

Subject: Be safe this Xmas
Please be advised that all employees planning to dash through the snow in a one-horse open sleigh, going over the fields and laughing all the way are required to undergo a Risk Assessment addressing the safety of open sleighs.
This assessment must also consider whether it is appropriate to use only one horse for such a venture, particularly where there are multiple passengers.
Please note that permission must also be obtained in writing from landowners before their fields may be entered.
To avoid offending those not participating in celebrations, we request that laughter is moderate only and not loud enough to be considered a noise nuisance.
Benches, stools and orthopaedic chairs are now available for collection by any shepherds planning or required to watch their flocks at night.
While provision has also been made for remote monitoring of flocks by CCTV cameras from a centrally heated shepherd observation hut, all facility users are reminded that an emergency response plan must be submitted to account for known risks to the flocks.
The angel of the Lord is additionally reminded that prior to shining his/her glory all around s/he must confirm that all shepherds are wearing appropriate Personal Protective Equipment to account for the harmful effects of UVA, UVB and the overwhelming effects of Glory.
Following last year’s well publicised case, everyone is advised that EC legislation prohibits any comment with regard to the redness of any part of Mr. R. Reindeer.
Further to this, exclusion of Mr. R Reindeer from reindeer games will be considered discriminatory and disciplinary action will be taken against those found guilty of this offence.
While it is acknowledged that gift-bearing is commonly practised in various parts of the world, particularly the Orient, everyone is reminded that the bearing of gifts is subject to Hospitality Guidelines and all gifts must be registered. This applies regardless of the individual, even royal personages. It is particularly noted that direct gifts of currency or gold are specifically precluded under provisions of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. Further, caution is advised regarding other common gifts, such as aromatic resins that may initiate allergic reactions.
Finally, in the recent case of the infant found tucked up in a manger without any crib for a bed, Social Services have been advised and will be arriving shortly.
Merry Christmas,
Risk Management Team

Archived