House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StuG III

The Big Fat Christmas Turkey Thread

Having a turkey for christmas? This is the place to discuss it!

How big is your turkey?

Where did you get it from?

How are you cooking it?

What kind of fat for the roasties?

6-7kg

Local farm

In an oven with my new BBQ wireless thermometer!

Goose or possibly duck.

ION - does the radio play the crap(per) version of Do they know it's christmas anymore?

6-7kg

Local farm

In an oven with my new BBQ wireless thermometer!

Goose or possibly duck.

ION - does the radio play the crap(per) version of Do they know it's christmas anymore?

Won't the metal of the oven act like a faraday cage and stop the signal getting out ?

How big is your turkey? - Smallest we can get to feed 4, 4-5kg?

Where did you get it from? - Local Farm

How are you cooking it?- No idea, we don't have an oven.

What kind of fat for the roasties - Goose and homebrew olive oil

Turkey crown, lidl or aldi. Had a lidl deluxe free range one last year and it was lovely.

Anything from one to two kilos is more than enough for me on me Todd.

I shall of course be making my own stuffing balls and bread sauce.

Won't the metal of the oven act like a faraday cage and stop the signal getting out ?

No idea, I'll have to freestyle on the day if so!

I'm actually thinking about what I could cook and freeze now so that on the day all I have to do is pan and reheat (anything wet should surely work, reb cabbage and port, any sort of mash. Don't think anything that needs to go in the oven would work as well though).

Half price out of Waitrose on christmas eve, so whatever they have.

Interestingly, I had an appliance repair guy round recently for my dishwasher. Said there is a surge of oven element replacement jobs around Christmas time. Obviously happy to live on microwaved food and takeaways the rest of the year!

Won't be here, will be somewhere a lot warmer and will be eating out on the big day.

Doubt we will eat Turkey at all.....

Turkey can be a bit dry. Duck is preferable to me to, slightly more greasy and tasty. I guess its just a historical thing.

Turkey's good if you stuff the cavity (oo-er) with onions and lemons, push a ton of stuffing between the skin and the meat of the breasts, slather liberally in butter and cover with bacon. Doesn't come out dry at all.

Good idea to crank your oven right up before roasting, then drop it to temperature when you put the bird in the oven, Seals in moisture much better. Can even cook upside down for half an hour, so the juices baste from the inside.

No idea, I'll have to freestyle on the day if so!

I'm actually thinking about what I could cook and freeze now so that on the day all I have to do is pan and reheat (anything wet should surely work, reb cabbage and port, any sort of mash. Don't think anything that needs to go in the oven would work as well though).

I'd shove a thermocouple or PT100 up the turkeys ass. Then connect via a multimeter. I would have thought wireless inside an oven would pose all sorts of issues. First no electronics would stand the heat. The solder on the board would melt and the junctions inside the chips. The plastic would melt and the batteries might explode. That is, unless your wireless has some sort of remote sensor lead. Then you have to find a way of getting the lead out of the oven through a hole or something so you can still close the door. Make sure the lead doesn't have a plastic shroud.

It would be cool to monitor the turkey temperature while you are in the living room quaffing wine. You should uplink to a web page. That way your guests could monitor the cooking and arrive at exactly the right point in time to consume the turkey, and exit immediately afterwards.

Won't be here, will be somewhere a lot warmer and will be eating out on the big day.

Doubt we will eat Turkey at all.....

Very annoying when people do this and hint at people to ask where they are going away to. :rolleyes:

But seeing as you mentioned it - I had some Turkey today at work - as I shall be on a Thai beach for Christmas having ice cold beer with possibly prawn curry for lunch. :D

I'd shove a thermocouple or PT100 up the turkeys ass. Then connect via a multimeter. I would have thought wireless inside an oven would pose all sorts of issues. First no electronics would stand the heat. The solder on the board would melt and the junctions inside the chips. The plastic would melt and the batteries might explode. That is, unless your wireless has some sort of remote sensor lead. Then you have to find a way of getting the lead out of the oven through a hole or something so you can still close the door. Make sure the lead doesn't have a plastic shroud.

It would be cool to monitor the turkey temperature while you are in the living room quaffing wine. You should uplink to a web page. That way your guests could monitor the cooking and arrive at exactly the right point in time to consume the turkey, and exit immediately afterwards.

:lol:

Arrive 5 mins either side of desired temp, eat and then sling your hook :lol:

This is what I'll be using:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004IMA718?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Fortunately I'm off the opinion that the engine room should be the biggest and best room of the house and everywhere I've lived it is - a house needs a kitchen, a study and a bedroom! No need for quaffing wine or other refreshments anywhere else.

I don't think I will see a turkey this year. In the HPC way, I will be content with a boiled egg, and some baked beans.

Well, I eat an Aldo stuffed chicken (1.6kg) about once every two weeks. It`s always the same....comes in a plastic bag. (£3.89)

And yes I sometimes add beans !

So far I`ve spent 6 quid on alcohol for xmas.

Mr Pin...you must explain how come you have worked for 3 days but remain poor.

Turkey can be a bit dry. Duck is preferable to me to, slightly more greasy and tasty. I guess its just a historical thing.

Actually the dryness is my reason for asking.

Seems to me that a lot of people say turkey is dry and tasteless, which is insane - turkey is a game bird - it should be moist and packed with flavour!

So I looked into it a bit and it seems this is due to a number of factors

1. People tend to buy massively enormous turkeys. These need to be cooked for bloody ages and its no wonder the breast ends up dry as a nun's crotch. In addition, people then moan well into the new year about the interminable supply of left over turkey that needs eating.

2. People over cook their turkeys. In addition to long cooking times for massive birds, you only need to get the internal temp of the breast up to about 74C for it to be done. Most people cook them till they're at the nun's crotch stage because they are scared of food poisoning.

So my plan for the perfect turkey!...

1. Get a really small bird. Make up for it with the trimmings if needed, there will be plenty of left overs anyway.

2. Rub it with salt the day before to give it a dry brine

2. Spatchcock it to half the cooking time - No need to worry about stuffing, I'll make stuffins in a muffin tray instead

3. Stick a digital BBQ thermometer up its bum and cook it to 74C exactly

4. Cooking to be done on cheapo smoker I bought off ebay for twenty quid

5. Frees up the oven for a bumper crop of roast taters. I might do two lots, one with goose fat, t'other with mixed fat from various pork, beef and lamb joints I have done recently.

:lol:

Arrive 5 mins either side of desired temp, eat and then sling your hook :lol:

This is what I'll be using:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004IMA718?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Fortunately I'm off the opinion that the engine room should be the biggest and best room of the house and everywhere I've lived it is - a house needs a kitchen, a study and a bedroom! No need for quaffing wine or other refreshments anywhere else.

Those things are supposed to be very good. I settled for a cheaper alternative without the wireless capability.

My dream home has a downstairs that is 75% kitchen. I want an Aga, a wood burner, and half a dozen hobs and ovens scattered about. Must buy that lottery ticket.

Those things are supposed to be very good. I settled for a cheaper alternative without the wireless capability.

My dream home has a downstairs that is 75% kitchen. I want an Aga, a wood burner, and half a dozen hobs and ovens scattered about. Must buy that lottery ticket.

I'll doff my hat to your sir with agreement with my spare hand that isn't celebrating the US rise on the main board!

I had a cheaper version that worked for a few years and then one year and the next even I agreed that the bird was not cooked so it went back in to be roasted to a cinder :( Spent a bit more on that as I do a fair bit of BBQ'ing as well and there is no reason to not always be having spot on food.

While I'm sure the turkey we get from the farm this year will again be a monster I completely agree that I'll have to be looking at an internal temp of 180-185F so no doubt some parts will be dry. This shouldn't be the case but the dynamics aren't quite as easy as dig in the thermo and wait to hit 165F - a supermarket mass produced water pumped turkey is not the same as a farm purchased one by any means, including the cooking!

While I'm sure the turkey we get from the farm this year will again be a monster I completely agree that I'll have to be looking at an internal temp of 180-185F so no doubt some parts will be dry. This shouldn't be the case but the dynamics aren't quite as easy as dig in the thermo and wait to hit 165F - a supermarket mass produced water pumped turkey is not the same as a farm purchased one by any means, including the cooking!

Interesting. Have you tried brining and/or injecting? I have found the bog standard water-pumped turkeys to be fairly reliable tbh.

Interesting. Have you tried brining and/or injecting? I have found the bog standard water-pumped turkeys to be fairly reliable tbh.

Can't remeber whether it was chicken or turkey, but stretching the skin around the brest and stuffing with butter seemed like a sensible idea to keep the bird moist. :)