House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davidg

The Sad Economics Of Internet Fame

The disconnect between internet fame and financial security is hard to comprehend for both creators and fans. But it’s the crux of many mid-level web personalities’ Many famous social media stars are too visible to have “real” jobs, but too broke not to.

http://fusion.net/story/244545/famous-and-broke-on-youtube-instagram-social-media/

I'll get my small violin :-)

If they're not making enough dollar out of 50K+ Youtube subscribers, they aren't doing it right. Plus I'd say the average teen/early 20 something probably doesn't have enough talent/uniqueness to separate them from the rest of the hopefuls. Couple that with a lack of business acumen and it's hardly surprising to learn that some are struggling.

You need 1m+ subs to make a serious income, and then you can start thinking about buying a Lamborgini like the Syndicate project.

300,000 would be a bare minimum before packing the job in.

But even with a low 30,000 subs, they can start monetising by producing pay per view special videos, create T-shirts, Mugs etc. How do you think Stampylonghead got to where he is now? He doesn't even show his face on camera. His online shop http://shop.maker.tv/collections/stampy

You can make DVDs/Bluerays and publish them yourself of past shows. AVGN did this.

The guy on the off topic forum that built a bunker in his garden? He has nearly 2m subs, and has managed to hire a helicopter and do a stunt on a glacier:

If you make a unique video, then it could earn passive income for the rest of your life. If you make 1 video that earns 5p a day, then make 100 videos, that return you £5 a day and so on, until your passive income exceeds your expenses. The youtube rule of thumb is to reach 1000 subscribers , and then you start getting noticed, and things start happening a bit more quickly.

This woman is a member of what I would term the "Loser Class". They're essentially victims of the entertainment industry who have invested all of their self worth in consuming media, to the point where they are permanently alienated from real life and will only ever find validation by handing over money to Hollywood/the Music business/social media. I have a lot of family and friends in LA, a wasteland populated by Loser Class zombies, working at Starbucks, playing in their "band", and handing over 25% to 50% of their meagre incomes to media corporations. It never crosses their mind why corporate media are constantly bombarding them with the message that they should be "different from the mainstream", don't be too close to their family, and don't work hard in school, i.e. all the classics of cult training in how to create a follower. When their in the 40s or 50s, they'll OD, die in a "mysterious car wreck" or just commit suicide. These are the people who are driving the falling life expectancy in the US.

Perhaps my wording was incorrect, but death rates for middle-aged, white Americans are rising.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/03/health/death-rates-rising-for-middle-aged-white-americans-study-finds.html

That's a very sad read. Basically, poorer white middle-aged Americans are hammering the drugs and alcohol because the onset of aches and pains (and I daresay other factors) are making them unhappy.

No it's not.

db125_fig1.png

Great graph - it looks as though it says something sensible, but when you read the details it doesn't actually say anything. Clearly there is something missing to explain it - probably something like 'proportion of the adult population who make it to 70' or something - but as it stands, the actual graph might as well be 'proportion of the sub-population who die before they are 70', which would be exactly the opposite of what it appears to be saying.

I always thought that this was the rule and that there was the odd very rare exception.

Youtube, facebook, this fourm are all about people communicating and sharing things. There is some extremely good content here, and not all of it from me -_- , but nobody's posting it in the expectation or hope that somebody will send them a few quid so they can pack in work.

I like Count Arthur Strong, one guy does his own versions of his shows on Youtube. I think he's doing it for his own amusement which is enhanced by the number of people who watch and enjoy them. As he's in his ?40s I would be fairly confident that this is the case. He will have a proper job and do this as a hobby. He's not expecting or hoping that he will somehow make a living out of them. Because he is not a naive mug reared on social media who sees themsleves paying into it and thinks that some of that money coudl find its way back to them if they become a Youtube star.

Like most people on here (or anywhere) I had dreams of rock and roll glory. They fell on the fences of lack of any discernible talent from any of the band members. But it was always a (very) outside bet and everyone was working towards getting a proper job.

I suppose the difference for the social media equivalents of useless musician me and my equally useless bandmates now is exposure; these people have fame but not money. We just had no money.

This woman is a member of what I would term the "Loser Class".

Good post. They are not 'too famous' to have a job, they are just disappointed that people in real life are able to see through the veneer of the online personality that they've created and can see the disappointing truth.

I do wonder how long 'YouTube' fame will be a 'thing' for since it is mostly driven by advertising and merchandising. As someone says above the chances of your average person 'making it' are slim.

There are some success stories. I watch some of the 'Shmee150' videos. He's a normal guy who started out with a channel about spotting supercars in London, he's now had a couple of McLaren's, currently got a McLaren 675LT (soon to be traded in for the Spider version), a Ferrari FF and a Porsche Cayman GT4 and he gets invited on press car launches, Gumball rally, etc., etc., like a 'proper' car journalist.

A lot of these people also need to know, unless they can do something a little more intellectual or else humourous, its downhill from here too. Most of the most popular youtubers are young, attractive white girls. If theyre in their late 20s, looks arent going to last all that much longer - replaced by the next generation. They are the product, primarily.

I think there is a 'zoella' Make up artist or something...are teenyboppers really going to tune into her in another 10 years when she is trying to hide increasingly haggard skin?

I'd guess the subscriber market is mainly under 30, students, and people perhaps not devoting so much time to family/career, can't be that much of an over 30 market.

A lot of these people also need to know, unless they can do something a little more intellectual or else humourous, its downhill from here too. Most of the most popular youtubers are young, attractive white girls. If theyre in their late 20s, looks arent going to last all that much longer - replaced by the next generation. They are the product, primarily.

I think there is a 'zoella' Make up artist or something...are teenyboppers really going to tune into her in another 10 years when she is trying to hide increasingly haggard skin?

I'd guess the subscriber market is mainly under 30, students, and people perhaps not devoting so much time to family/career, can't be that much of an over 30 market.

For that sort of thing, yes.

There are however many things that I'm interested in and, because you can't do everything at the same time, some of them are currently vicarious such as reading about restoring classic cars.

I can see that there would be Youtube channels to which I would subscribe, say somebody doing something that I'd like to and may do one time so I'd like to follow it (like walking all the Munros), and I would look to that for what kit to buy so it would be worthwhile for advertisers.

I'm not dismissive of it but nothing's come along that's got me, all I see is Yoof-oriented stuff that reminds me of the nadir of TV with Magenta Devine and those ridiculously superficial fast-edit programmes.

The nearest I get to fame is via the people who haven't blocked me and actually read my HPC posts.

Luckily I value my anonymity.

Too much fame and who knows what will be posted through your letter box.

Guest eight

The nearest I get to fame is via the people who haven't blocked me and actually read my HPC posts.

Luckily I value my anonymity.

I haven't actually blocked you, despite claiming I had - but I did find some of your comments on the Shoreham thread a bit unpalatable. I'd never actually block someone - it would only be self imposed censorship, and I'll hear anybody out, so long as they don't expect me to agree with them.

For that sort of thing, yes.

There are however many things that I'm interested in and, because you can't do everything at the same time, some of them are currently vicarious such as reading about restoring classic cars.

I can see that there would be Youtube channels to which I would subscribe, say somebody doing something that I'd like to and may do one time so I'd like to follow it (like walking all the Munros), and I would look to that for what kit to buy so it would be worthwhile for advertisers.

I'm not dismissive of it but nothing's come along that's got me, all I see is Yoof-oriented stuff that reminds me of the nadir of TV with Magenta Devine and those ridiculously superficial fast-edit programmes.

Sure, there are some. IIRC 'thunderf00t' (450k subs) said he was making more off youtube than he was as a scientist. But the big million+ subs mostly seem to be young, and, not surprisingly, attractive.

I haven't actually blocked you, despite claiming I had - but I did find some of your comments on the Shoreham thread a bit unpalatable. I'd never actually block someone - it would only be self imposed censorship, and I'll hear anybody out, so long as they don't expect me to agree with them.

You haven't blocked CyberNat? You must have an incredibly high tolerance threshold.

The teens may not still tune in - but if she is smart she'll bring her subscribers (who are also ageing) with her. Frankly with the internet, you should treat any income as discretionary, and/or be prepared to always be looking out for the next big thing. Unless the potential for retirement level wealth was there - there is no way I'd give up the day job as generally the barriers for competitors are too low, the audience fickle and there is a f*ck ton of people who are hungrier and more desperate than you.

What they need are cats. People love cat videos. I consider myself above such stuff, but admit I can't resist a good cat video.

Cat + Roomba = Win

Cat + Stuffed Toy Tiger = Double Win!

Some figures with an early stage YT channel, with about 1000 subscribers, and 200K views over 200 videos, you can earn about £200 a year (and most of it at the end of one year), but it'll take a year or less to get to that stage as you invest time to learn the ropes about video editing, filming, perhaps scripting, directing, market research (yeah people like cats, and people's reactions).

This is where you either get bored or you'll start to get noticed - you should keep going unless the videos actually cost a lot to make. Don't get into a trap of buying a new gadget, reviewing it, and then you are stuck for the next show, as you will have to buy something else to produce content! If you start to get noticed, earnings will go parabolic. After a 1000 subs, the next target is 10K, then 100K, then 1m, then 10m etc. The world is your limit. If after 2 years, you can't hit 1000 subs or at least 200 videos, you should start a new channel and work on something else.

Keep your videos short (no more than 10 to 20 minutes), use different angles every very few seconds, have a script. If you get a popular video, use that "formula"* and hit that with everything you've got at the sweet spot. You go all in that "trade". Cut your losses on ideas that you think are popular, and focus on the ones that are actually popular. The "likes" and comments are your audience feedback mechanism.

Use something unique in your life - perhaps you work in airport security. "Strange Things Confiscated in Airports" for example. You could anomalise the stories you've had so you don't get in trouble at work, and tell a story. You don't have to show your face, use stock images. Dangerdolan has 4m subs, and he does not show his face, nor does he have a "radio" voice.

Follow what is popular to stimulate ideas for your channel- E.g. Articles in the Daily Mail that shock and cause anger, Buzzfeed - trending ideas.

*If you ever watch Nigella Lawson's cookery shows, they all follow a similar pattern, she obviously cooks, but there are the same camera angles, and the same "Oh I love how the pastry crumbles" etc. in every show.

More at the Youtube creator academy https://creatoracademy.withgoogle.com/page/education?hl=en-GB

Do you need to spend a lot to get started ? NO.

You need a PC

A entry level video cam corder and tripod - £150 - Or use your phone if it is a decent one = FREE!

A video editor - Windows movie maker: FREE, OR Sony Vegas 11 is about £20 Tutorials are on the YT if you can't be bothered to read the manual.

Some Image editor to make thumbnails and title screens - Windows Paint - FREE!

Video capture device if you want to record off your PC e.g. for gaming - This is a free function on newer graphics cards.

If you are in the UK you are already up on most of the world - you speak English, and most people in the world can understand it!

And then some ideas on what to make a video series about, and a timetable, make a video every week if you can.

Cat + Stuffed Toy Tiger = Double Win!

If that uploaded was the original creator of that video - they haven't even monetized that video! Doh! With 2m views, that's a fair amount - $200 to $700* just on one video!

So variations on that video to make a series to hit that sweet spot - to geometrically increase the income potential. Make one new video on these spin-off ideas -

Different camera angles?

Commentary?

Fights with different toys that you have?

Interview with the owner?

Interview with the cat? (put on a funny voice)

Same video but with a voice over (put on that same funny voice)

Make the tiger come alive? (you shake with your hand)

Perhaps the cat does other funny things - riding on hoovers?

+probably a few more that I haven't thought of, use the "rainmaker" in you.

Give that cat a "stage name" so people can remember where to come back for more.

*Income calculator http://youtubemoney.co/

A lot of these people also need to know, unless they can do something a little more intellectual or else humourous, its downhill from here too. Most of the most popular youtubers are young, attractive white girls.

Zuzka is an interesting case. Former pron star turned keep fit nut. She used to get millions of views on her videos which she did with her boyfriend. Then they split and she set up her own channel and now only gets hits in the tens of thousands.