House Price Crash Forum
Guest_lauralondon_*

Constant Radio Adverts About " The Government Will Give You 3000 Towards Your First Home"

Literialy every single as break on LBC has this god awful advert, "we're going home".

Are these free adverts or has tax payers money been spent to advertise this scheme.

Sometimes I think I'm the only one who hasn't " been given money by the government".

There is also a tv ad with the same awful song - see the you tube link below.

It involves a couple carrying a sofa, some bloke carrying a dog into his new home, a couple sharing a beer amongst their half unpacked belongings an older couple with two brats all ticking the right quotas and quite tellingly a couple of smirking builders clinking mugs - and probably thinking what mugs! And all moving into nice big houses - not one into a flat.

Not sure about the lyrics - it's probably not a good idea to light a fire in your new build shoebox?

And it's all paid for by the taxpayer - including the ad. What was that about austerity?! Who cares as long as you can buy your DREAM home!

Edited by MARTINX9

They know the wiping out of BTLers will instantly suck a lot of demand from the market causing a solid 20-30% fall in price. The next support level is FTBers, they need to be falling over themselves to buy to prevent a decent correction turning into a full blown 60-70% crash.

probably work.

They know the wiping out of BTLers will instantly suck a lot of demand from the market causing a solid 20-30% fall in price. The next support level is FTBers, they need to be falling over themselves to buy to prevent a decent correction turning into a full blown 60-70% crash.

probably work.

No chance, on current trends the post-1980 babies are heading for <35% homeownership by age 40. £3k is nothing when house prices are 8x average wages.

It's not government money.... it's mine,

That was my first though when I heard that said on the TV commercial, but since the government are running a deficit rather than funding their expenditure through taxation it's actually my sons long term debt that he'll be taxed to pay interest on his whole life.

Hey ho :(

Edited by SpectrumFX

A new route to saving for a mortgage deposit has opened up for first-time buyers with the launch of the Help to Buy Isa.

Accounts can be opened with an initial deposit of up to £1,000 in addition to the maximum monthly contribution of £200.

First-time buyers can save £200 each month tax-free as well as getting a 25 per cent government bonus on the interest and contributions once they buy a home.

However, the government bonus is set at a maximum of £3,000 so the maximum that can be saved to benefit from the bonus is £12,000, giving you a £15,000 deposit.

You can save more if you want and use money from other savings to put together a bigger deposit.

You will need a minimum of £1,600 to get the government bonus, which would pay you £400.

Sounds a bit complicated. Why don't they just "grant" FTB a £20,000 deposit for free.

Yes it's like offering £30 to buy you first house....

It is just sop at the moment - they're saving up the big stuff for 2018-2019.

Government pays ad revenue to various "independent" media outlets, Many of them are currently suffering a collapse in ad revenue due to internetz and old media dying. Doing this it also ensures they will run less government critical stories.

Buying ads even if they say or do nothing is a classic backhand bribe to ensure compliance. Also the ISA itself shows we are entering new realms of stupid.

"we're going home".

That's the sort of thing you'd expect people to be saying come the end of days.

Not when you're getting a piddling (relative to house prices) amount of your own money towards an overpriced crummy flat.

Edited by billybong

A new route to saving for a mortgage deposit has opened up for first-time buyers with the launch of the Help to Buy Isa.

Accounts can be opened with an initial deposit of up to £1,000 in addition to the maximum monthly contribution of £200.

First-time buyers can save £200 each month tax-free as well as getting a 25 per cent government bonus on the interest and contributions once they buy a home.

However, the government bonus is set at a maximum of £3,000 so the maximum that can be saved to benefit from the bonus is £12,000, giving you a £15,000 deposit.

You can save more if you want and use money from other savings to put together a bigger deposit.

You will need a minimum of £1,600 to get the government bonus, which would pay you £400.

Sounds a bit complicated. Why don't they just "grant" FTB a £20,000 deposit for free.

Why not just give everyone £20k for free?

Yes it's like offering £30 to buy you first house....

That would cover a tin of paint though? :lol::lol: It's all part of the long term economic plan. Even if that means taking credit for low oil prices due to global deflation.

Meanwhile the Current Account deficit is the biggest in history and national debt has gone from £800bn to £1.6tn. But shhh.. If the facts don't fit the narrative.. ignore them :D:D:D

Also: Do you think if the housing market does take a turn will Osbourne go full coke steam ahead and just have something like:

private renting + help to buy + shared ownership + isa/free money

Edited by Assume The Opposite

Notice the way they're working on the young kids already in the youtube TV advert posted near the start of the thread - to ensure future gullibles.

Edited by billybong

To get the full 3k means saving for years so really the more people who take this up the more buyers will dry up in the FTB market , add in Landlords selling FTB type homes due to tax changes and stamp duty change putting off new entrants to BTL and this could slow the market at bottom right down...advert is ******ing annoying though

Can this not be challenged? Are our taxes not for things like shcools and hospitals, not bunging some FTB free money to further prop up the market?

#osbourne #totallyimmoral #twit

Any potential FTB out there need to ask themselves one simple question:

Why is the government so eager to help me to borrow more money than I can afford to repay, in order to buy a house?

Start there, see where you end up.

Can this not be challenged? Are our taxes not for things like shcools and hospitals, not bunging some FTB free money to further prop up the market?

#osbourne #totallyimmoral #twit

Nope. Public services are subject to spending cuts, reviews and deficit hysteria.

Millionaire bankers, landowners, landlords, speculating spivs are subject to bail outs and tax payer subsidy. Don't get me started on bombs dropped on third world dust bowls at £50k a pop

The housing market has now become so dysfunctional......we having to give you money to enable the plates to continue spinning. ;)

Australia has been doing the same for years ...how people laught when it was suggested the same thing was going to happen here

Nope. Public services are subject to spending cuts, reviews and deficit hysteria.

Millionaire bankers, landowners, landlords, speculating spivs are subject to bail outs and tax payer subsidy. Don't get me started on bombs dropped on third world dust bowls at £50k a pop

Despite the mass media studiously avoiding mentioning the issue, I think that more and more members of the general public (the ones of reasonable intelligence that is) are noticing how some things seem to have infinite budget available (eg. wars, bankers, tax cuts for the rich) - yet others are subject to 'austerity' (eg. health, education, welfare).

Australia has been doing the same for years ...how people laught when it was suggested the same thing was going to happen here

Tax credits.....house credits.......has the penny dropped?

Hmmm. If they think that, I take that to be an indicator that there is an ulterior motive from Osborne. Perhaps it really is to take FTBs out the market while the BTLers are rinsed?

Despite the mass media studiously avoiding mentioning the issue, I think that more and more members of the general public (the ones of reasonable intelligence that is) are noticing how some things seem to have infinite budget available (eg. wars, bankers, tax cuts for the rich) - yet others are subject to 'austerity' (eg. health, education, welfare).

Indeed. Many still refuse to join the dots though