House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Lyme Disease

I haven't a clue what Lyme Disease is, but I am rather impressed that he can park a helicopter on his lawn! :huh:

Any of the health experts on here agree that Lyme disease is a public health scandal.

Not a health expert, but when has that ever stopped a HPCer?

He may very well be right. After all, the main business of our health service is fobbing people off (until they're past help, when it springs into hyperaction). Perhaps a Very Good Use for some of his millions would be to investigate the question further, and campaign for better awareness, diagnosis and treatment. Perhaps that's exactly what he's embarked on with this article.

I went on the lyme disease support group last night and read a horrific story of a UK guy trying to convince UK doctors that he had lyme disease. The UK doctors failed to daignose him and it was by chance that he encountered a German doctor and a US doctor working in the NHS, both with experience of lyme disease, that he finally got treated.

In fact, even after the German doctor diagnosed him apparently he had trouble getting UK doctors to believe her.

Here is his story:

http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Story-Paul-Bramble.pdf

I haven't a clue what Lyme Disease is, but I am rather impressed that he can park a helicopter on his lawn! :huh:

I learned to fly helicopters about the same time as John Caudwell and I have an enduring memory of him having a mobile phone permanently attached to his ear.

On a few occasions I'd jump on his helicopter (it wasn't a Robinson R22 then but a ?Jet Ranger) and a few of us would fly out to a hotel near Leek, Staffordshire for a beer in the sun and it was always priceless to see the faces of other regular patrons watching us drop in, certainly a way to make an entrance.

I also had other uses acting as ballast in an R44 for a larger than life millionaire type who was too big to fly an R22. We too flew to the pub once he qualified.

All the money in the world and what they can do with it isn't dissimilar to us bottom troughers.

I now want a helicopter powered by rat urine, to frighten badgers with! :huh:

I have been in helicopters, but much to my disappointment, they never went to the pub. Usually some shit hole gas platform with no beer! :blink:

Isn't it carried by ticks? Another fact I learned from The Simpsons.

I learned everything I know about "truth" from Pinnochio!

Everytime I go for a walk in the woods in summer, i invariably have a few ticks on me. Stop every few minutes to check, pull the buggers off, shower afterwards. Have done so for at least 10 years, no problems. I'm pretty sure they're more prevalent in Thetford forest than central London. Its bad luck and a lack of preparedness, that is all.

Everytime I go for a walk in the woods in summer, i invariably have a few ticks on me. Stop every few minutes to check, pull the buggers off, shower afterwards. Have done so for at least 10 years, no problems. I'm pretty sure they're more prevalent in Thetford forest than central London. Its bad luck and a lack of preparedness, that is all.

I think you should be good if you pull them off quickly and correctly (i.e. don't squeeze and make sure the head doesn't stay stuck in). Don't know if I've just been lucky but I've never had a tick on me. An entire family getting lyme disease sounds odd.

Has, always worried me a bit and did for many years pick them off the cats and dog with my fingernails. I think they're fairly prevalent round me because of all the deer. Haven't had one on me but always wear long trousers.

Has, always worried me a bit and did for many years pick them off the cats and dog with my fingernails. I think they're fairly prevalent round me because of all the deer. Haven't had one on me but always wear long trousers.

You should put Vodka on them, then they just get drunk and fall off!

Rub Vaseline on them they soon let go through suffocation. ;)

Sugar works just as well....

Doesn't kill them but rots their teeth..

Has anyone actually read the article? He's suggesting that there must be another route of transmission because so many members of his family have it.

In Switzerland, where in some areas it was found that 1 in 2 ticks are lime disease carriers, I also read in a newspaper article that it has been found that mosquitos can be lime disease carriers.

Mate of mine at work got it while on a corporate funded paintballing do in a forest out of town.

The doctors misdiagnosed it at first, but worked out what it was in time. It's not serious provided it's treated in time - if it's not, however, then it's a very serious disease.

Apparently it causes a bullseye shaped rash, so if you see one of those, get to the doctor. ;)