House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ccc

Global Warming

Making a comeback ?

After being replaced by the catch all 'Climate change' for years - its all of a sudden back in fashion. Hearing it everywhere.

And what's this nonsense they are discussing in Paris about a 2c 'limit' on temperature increases ? The world doesn't have a thermostat ffs.

I was wondering about all this earlier. Canute comes to mind. How much can this conference achieve? These people think they are bigger than nature. The only achievement seems to be shipping all our pollution to China.

It does certainly have a thermostat as they keep talking about setting it to either +2 or +1.5. These people have the power of gods.

When we slip back into the next ice age I will ask them to rapidly crank it up to +10 so I can still go swimming in the sea.

Making a comeback ?

After being replaced by the catch all 'Climate change' for years - its all of a sudden back in fashion. Hearing it everywhere.

And what's this nonsense they are discussing in Paris about a 2c 'limit' on temperature increases ? The world doesn't have a thermostat ffs.

Well it is not nonsense but maybe flawed. The science says that if we increase greenhouse emissions at current rates then average temperatures will rise 5C by 2100. So the idea is to reduce emissions and "pro-rata" target just a 2C rise. A 5C average temperature rise will mean peak temperatures of 85C in some of the gulf states.

Now some basic science. The earth has its current climate due to the greenhouse effect. Certain gases in the atmosphere, principally Methane and Carbon Dioxide trap re-radiated energy so keeping the planet warm. It is a principal known since the late 19th century. If you increase the amount of greenhouse gases it follows that the earth will get warmer. By how much, how fast and what compensating factors apply is what the models try to predict. How much of the warming is natural? In Europe we've been coming out of a mini ice age since the 1850s. The retreat of glaciers, rising tree line etc were noted over a 100 years ago.

I was wondering about all this earlier. Canute comes to mind. How much can this conference achieve? These people think they are bigger than nature. The only achievement seems to be shipping all our pollution to China.

its quite likely that 2015 Co2 emissions will actually fall relative to 2014. Some of that is down to a slowdown in China but also energy efficiency, renewables, and switching to lower carbon intensity fuels are starting to make a difference.

Making a comeback ?

It always was called Global Warming. The use of the term Climate Change was partly driven by the number of fookwits who can't differentiate weather from climate citing a cold day in July (January in the Southern Hemisphere) as proof that global warming is not happening.

And davidg your last sentence is the key to why so many people think it wildly overblown and resent the taxes they have to pay to support the industry.

The world is naturally warming.

Industrial gases are adding to this.

But how much?

Is 99% of the warning down to human activity? If so (and I am not joking) I will make huge changes to my lifestyle.

If however it is 1% then, to borrow a lovely Scottish expression, they can all go boil their heads. Using coal to heat the water.

It does certainly have a thermostat as they keep talking about setting it to either +2 or +1.5. These people have the power of gods.

When we slip back into the next ice age I will ask them to rapidly crank it up to +10 so I can still go swimming in the sea.

Preventing an ice age is far easier than preventing global warming. Much of what has been learnt about the climate will equip man to do that should that event occur which is not very likely, a runaway greenhouse effect is more likely :ph34r:

its quite likely that 2015 Co2 emissions will actually fall relative to 2014. Some of that is down to a slowdown in China but also energy efficiency, renewables, and switching to lower carbon intensity fuels are starting to make a difference.

I'm not promoting pollution as a "good thing". :wacko: Probably LED lights will make more of a saving than anything else.

I'm just sick of these conference jollies! :blink:

I'm not promoting pollution as a "good thing". :wacko: Probably LED lights will make more of a saving than anything else.

It's the French again. They start up loads of these international bodies so that they can control them and make a profit; it's very astute of them.

Think how many international bodies have French names relative to how many people speak French.

I suppose like anything else where many countries need to reach agreements this will involve a lot of Govt reps travelling to a meeting point.

I suppose like anything else where many countries need to reach agreements this will involve a lot of Govt reps travelling to a meeting point.

They should try Skype. that should save a few air miles. :(

Preventing an ice age is far easier than preventing global warming. Much of what has been learnt about the climate will equip man to do that should that event occur which is not very likely, a runaway greenhouse effect is more likely :ph34r:

I have wondered about big heat exchangers anchored in remote desert spots, pumping heat into the upper atmosphere.

Anyway Kurt, as you follow the science whilst I just laugh at the clumsy propaganda would you care to hazard an educated guess at the answer to my question: what proportion of the temperature increase is natural and what is a product of industrialisation.

Very roughly and in your opinion; it is clearly unprovable.

It always was called Global Warming. The use of the term Climate Change was partly driven by the number of fookwits who can't differentiate weather from climate citing a cold day in July (January in the Southern Hemisphere) as proof that global warming is not happening.

It was changed to climate change when global temperatures stopped rising 15 years ago. Ground based readings have now been revised to remove this 'pause'. Unfortunately they cannot tamper with satellite readings that continue show a 'pause' in temperatures.

It's the French again. They start up loads of these international bodies so that they can control them and make a profit; it's very astute of them.

Think how many international bodies have French names relative to how many people speak French.

They're pushing the notion that 'We need to tackle global warming in order to stop ISIS'.

Apparently the heat makes them bad tempered.

So they're going to ensure it's not too hot and not too cold like Masters of the Universe.

It sounds like the economy and look what a success they've made of controlling that. Always an excuse for flying to more jollies at taxpayers' expense.

So they're going to ensure it's not too hot and not too cold like Masters of the Universe.

It sounds like the economy and look what a success they've made of controlling that. Always an excuse for flying to more jollies at taxpayers' expense.

I think that's a good analogy. I am probably emit less emissions than ever, what with insulation, and LED lights. Also the new LED TV uses far less power than those old ones! The guitar amplifier can heat the room however, as it is quite old, and full of valves.

I'll agree with Frank once more. It's not the cause I'm against, it's the spin! There are more problems in the World now more important than to devote too much time to gas emissions

They're pushing the notion that 'We need to tackle global warming in order to stop ISIS'.

Apparently the heat makes them bad tempered.

Charlotte Church told me that the rise of ISIS was caused by gobal warming.

She must get a lot of confusion from having the same name as that singer despite being a serious academic.

I think that's a good analogy. I am probably emit less emissions than ever, what with insulation, and LED lights. Also the new LED TV uses far less power than those old ones! The guitar amplifier can heat the room however, as it is quite old, and full of valves.

I'll agree with Frank once more. It's not the cause I'm against, it's the spin! There are more problems in the World now more important than to devote too much time to gas emissions

I probably should get LEDs, I wouldn't have those twisty fluorescent bulbs in the house but LEDs look nice. When I've emptied my stash of old bulbs I will switch.

I probably should get LEDs, I wouldn't have those twisty fluorescent bulbs in the house but LEDs look nice. When I've emptied my stash of old bulbs I will switch.

Splash out Frank. The LED ones I have are good. CFLs are an improvement over the old filament lamps in terms of consumption, but some people don't like the light quality! I have no problem with them, but they can be slow to warm up. :blink:

Splash out Frank. The LED ones I have are good. CFLs are an improvement over the old filament lamps in terms of consumption, but some people don't like the light quality! I have no problem with them, but they can be slow to warm up. :blink:

I just don't want to waste the old ones; I'll get there.

I just don't want to waste the old ones; I'll get there.

Put them in a cupboard for emergencies. They might become valuable like tulip bulbs! :wacko:

I blame those funghi that evolved to break down lignin (wood) 300 million years ago. Before that it just got laid down and the captured carbon turned into the oil and coal. What we'll probably find is that actually a super efficient fungus has evolved that means no wood lasts long enough to get buried. Of course, deforestation may also hinder this process. Less wood, less possibility of capture. Not necessarily the release of carbon into the atmosphere being the key reason. What we could do is grow lots of trees and then flood them.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/mushroom-evolution-breaks-down-lignin-slows-coal-formation/

Well I've learned something there.

And davidg your last sentence is the key to why so many people think it wildly overblown and resent the taxes they have to pay to support the industry.

The world is naturally warming.

Industrial gases are adding to this.

But how much?

Is 99% of the warning down to human activity? If so (and I am not joking) I will make huge changes to my lifestyle.

If however it is 1% then, to borrow a lovely Scottish expression, they can all go boil their heads. Using coal to heat the water.

For the last 800k years CO2 levels fluctuated between around 160 and 260ppm and the pre-industrial global average temperature was about 15C, around which the global ecology had settled. CO2 levels have risen to about 400ppm over the last 200 years, so whatever future natural cycles do, the global ciimate will be influenced by the new, higher baseline level of CO2. This rise in CO2 is 100 times faster than any previous rise in CO2 over the last 800k years. The idea is to limit the man made component of CO2, which we can control, so that man-made warming is limited to <2C by 2100 and so that a temperature-driven reorganisation of the Earth's biology, ecology and environment, does not kick 7.3 billion people in the butt.

Yes, imagine how many carbons have been released flying all these bellends to Paris.

I can't believe how much time BBC News are dedicating to some people signing a document and not having done anything concrete.